pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 5

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

BorisTomashevsky
#100Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/14/23 at 9:39pm

Looks like a drama school graduating class production of Sunset. 

Dolly80
#101Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 2:26am

It’s a 17 piece orchestra, and no set!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#102Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 5:12am

OhHiii said: "The last big star-driven production from this director amounted to a few folding chairs and a single revolve that made Sam Gold's productions look like something from Alex Timbers.

And now ya'll are surprised the artwork/video is minimalistic...?
"

Most people here are groupies for performers or specific productions.

Very few understand that directors have careers that are cohesive to their art. Most have no clue what has been done before or the process of their craft. 

You know that when creatives are referred to as "they"

"They could have done this..."

"I hated what they did with..."

Of course you will hate all about this Sunset Boulevard if you have no clue who "they" are.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#103Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 6:50am

Maybe they can have ghost Joe walk out into the London streets at the end. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#104Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 9:17am

That trailer. Oh dear.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#105Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 9:41am

WldKingdomHM said: "Maybe they can have ghost Joe walk out into the London streets at the end."

Kiddie pool in the lobby with Joe’s corpse lying in it for a photo op.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#106Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 10:39am

I'm know I'll be in the minority, but I'm infinitely more excited about this production than the last 'revival' with Glenn Close. I found that production to be sad, watered down and Glen was too old and not up to the task vocally. If I can't have the opulent glamour of the original, then give me a radical, edgy production that takes huge risks. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#107Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 11:16am

Everyone just needs to prepare themselves and go into this with zero expectation of matching anything resembling the original production.  You're not getting grand.  Just take it for what it will be.  A minimalistic (probably miscast) new experience.

verywellthensigh
#108Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/15/23 at 1:56pm

I don't think the trailer is that big of a horror, just terribly pedestrian and unimaginative.   I personally never found the show to be terribly impressive to begin with aside from a couple of great songs.  It should be interesting to see it without all the 80's-90s swan float mega-musical $$ propping it up.

Listener
#109Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 12:02am

...or painfully revealing.

I honestly think there needs to be opulence to Norma's world, even if a minimalist approach is taken. Joe has to be sticking around for something.

And what about the luxury car in Act 2?

JasonC3
WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#111Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 6:20am

Listener said: "...or painfully revealing.

I honestly think there needs to be opulence to Norma's world, even if a minimalist approach is taken. Joe has to be sticking around for something.

And what about the luxury car in Act 2?
"

Chairs !!!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#112Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 3:24pm

To signal opulence Jamie perhaps instead of just wooden chairs, maybe wooden chairs with a leather pad on top? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

pmensky
#113Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 4:25pm

No, no. The ensemble is going to join together to form the car. Like Voltron.

Musicaldudepeter
#114Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 4:44pm

The rumor is that the production's design is a grey curtain, a flashlight and a ladder in the back

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#115Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/16/23 at 5:43pm

Lame. I think an understated Sunset could be interesting, but I just feel like we've seen his bag of tricks already. 

Pernigraniline
#116Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 8/17/23 at 10:47am

Owen22 said: "Have you noticed every actor in the cast is (or looks) ten years younger than the character requires.. ?"

Character requires? Norma is only around 50, Joe is mid-late 20s? Mayerling could be an "enfant terrible" director and be only 45-50. Its the previous ALW versions that have cast upwards.

Updated On: 8/17/23 at 10:47 AM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#118Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 11:26am

I can’t believe this is starting in less than 2 weeks. I’m excited for it mainly because I have absolutely no clue what the hell it’s gonna be. 

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#119Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 11:43am

Going to this one .  Open to it being anything.  It’s a bad show.  How much can they f it up?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#120Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 12:58pm

I saw the original production and then the concert version with Glenn. I thought the original production was spectacular. Truly incredible. The concert was a big letdown but the biggest issue I had with it was that the score was constructed around the original set. These big musical swells and long pauses in the signing are meant to accommodate grand set changes and big scenic reveals. When you have a minimalist version using the original score it's full of dead space and the movement of the story comes to a halt.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#121Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 1:13pm

This is by far one of my favorite ALW scores. And she will deliver vocally.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#122Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 1:18pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I can’t believe this is starting in less than 2 weeks. I’m excited for it mainly because I have absolutely no clue what the hell it’s gonna be."

Can’t wait to hear your in-depth thoughts! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#123Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 1:35pm

theatregoer3 said: "I saw the original production and then the concert version with Glenn. I thought the original production was spectacular. Truly incredible. The concert was a big letdown but the biggest issue I had with it was that the score was constructed around the original set. These big musical swells and long pauses in the signing are meant to accommodate grand set changes and big scenic reveals. When you have a minimalist version using the original score it's full of dead space and the movement of the story comes to a halt."

I agree as for seeing the original production was a breathtaking experience especially for the raising of the stage-magic! That set!!! Glenn was amazing but seeing it w/ Betty Buckley was the Norma to see for the electrifying vocals!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

DJD4
#124Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 2:33pm

theatregoer3 said: "I saw the original production and then the concert version with Glenn. I thought the original production was spectacular. Truly incredible. The concert was a big letdown but the biggest issue I had with it was that the score was constructed around the original set. These big musical swells and long pauses in the signing are meant to accommodate grand set changes and big scenic reveals. When you have a minimalist version using the original score it's full of dead space and the movement of the story comes to a halt."

This makes perfect sense! This scaled back concert version is the only version I have gotten to see, and I just kept thinking "there's so much underscore". Now that makes perfect sense that it was meant to pad the opulent scenic changes. Beautiful score, just a lot of it.