News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition- Page 3

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition

BroadwayFan9
#50Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 1:15pm

The Lehman Trilogy is going into the Vivin Beaumont

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#51Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 1:45pm

I think there's going to be some surprised people on this board when Hadestown & A Beautiful Noise announce closings.

For Hadestown, stop paying attention to the seats filled percentage and pay attention to the grosses. This is a show that was routinely grossing $800-$900k in the spring and is now hovering around $700k (often lower). Average ticket price is below $100 and hanging out near shows like OUAOMT and SLIH on that list. I expect an announcement this summer that it will close at the end of the year so they can have a long run of people coming back one more time before they actually close.

For A Beautiful Noise, I do think it's possible that they will try the new performance schedule in the fall but its grosses have been terrible lately. It's a show that seems to be losing steam fast the way some others like Tootsie & The Cher Show did. It was doing over $1 million as recently as May but now is way below that. Granted we had the July 4 holiday but it's coming off its lowest grossing week by far. I think an end of year closing is very likely for this show but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it doesn't even make it through the fall.

Updated On: 7/12/23 at 01:45 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#52Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 1:50pm

Enemy of the People is looking at a winter Feb opening. Not theater announced yet.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#53Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 1:51pm

It is rumored that Sweeney Todd will also close in January, at the end of Groban’s contract. 

They won’t bother recasting, much like Jackman and Michele. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Chaz Hands
#54Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 2:11pm

I’m really hoping this will be the season for Lempicka! It’s been a show talked about on here for years, so hopefully a theater/producers will give it a chance

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#55Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 2:37pm

Also Goddess is coming in. I’d imagine they’ll want a big theatre perhaps the Shubert

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#56Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 2:38pm

The other day I received an email from Telecharge asking me to take a survey about "a new musical." The survey started by asking me if I heard of any of the musicals currently playing on Broadway and which ones I've seen. I haven't seen A Beautiful Noise, nor am I interested in seeing it, despite being part of its target demographic. After I said I heard of every musical on the list and indicated which of the musicals I've seen, the questions focused on A Beautiful Noise - whether I plan to see it, am I interested in seeing it, why don't I want to see it....    I only received a survey such as this one once before, but it was for a revival of a show that might come to Broadway in the future (the musical wasn't identified, but it appeared to be The Pirates of Penzance). It seems to me that the ABN producers are trying to gauge interest from possible future audience members to help inform their decision as to whether to keep the show open. If they don't have enough people interested, I can certainly see the show closing sooner rather than later.

Updated On: 7/12/23 at 02:38 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 2:41pm

ABN is heavily advertising their new Fall schedule now. They're really pushing the Thursday matinees.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#58Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 2:50pm

ACL2006 said: "ABN is heavily advertising their new Fall schedule now. They're really pushing the Thursday matinees."

Interestingly, the survey i just mentioned didn't ask me if I was more likely to see the show if it was performed at a time that didn't conform to a traditional theater schedule. I'm thinking they should advertise the new matinee day to senior groups, pushing group sales.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#59Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 3:50pm

Broadway Flash said: "Also Goddess is coming in. I’d imagine they’ll want a big theatre perhaps the Shubert"

VERY unlikely Goddess comes in before another out of town and VERY unlikely they'd want a house bigger than 1200 seats. It's not a big show at all.

perfectpenguin
#60Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 4:11pm

I also got that survey but can do one better. I received a “Thank you for seeing A Beautiful Noise!” email from Telecharge last week. I’ve never purchased tickets for this show or visited their website. Re: the survey, I said I had interest in seeing every show except ABN. I’d see if if they give me a comp ticket though 

RWPrincess
#61Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 4:53pm

This seems to be a slow month so far. I've gotten emails about bonus offers from Audience Rewards this week for A Beautiful Noise and today for Sweeney Todd, both for specific dates in July only. I also got one for Funny Girl but deleted it without reading it. 

I thought the Capitol 4th performance by ABN was the best tv performance I've seen them do and hopefully it sold them tickets. That's what they should have done at the Thanksgiving Parade too. Anyway, I don't wish job loss on anyone so I hope all of these shows pick up in the coming weeks.

Jumpin_J
#62Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/14/23 at 7:31pm

Alex M said: "I thought The Wiz was taking the Majestic when it reopened? Maybe it can reopen the Palace?"

The Palace is still very much under reconstruction as the building is being raised (not razed) to fit two floors of retail. It probably won't open until late 2024. 

Jumpin_J
#63Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/14/23 at 7:33pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "i'm curious to see what will go into the beaumont. any rumors?"

I’d like to see the London production of Crazy For You transfer
"

Zero percent chance as 1) It'll be a commercial production which would exclude the Beaumont as it's part of Lincoln Center, and 2) They don't do London imports. 

spicemonkey
#64Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:21pm

Jumpin_J said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "i'm curious to see what will go into the beaumont. any rumors?"

I’d like to see the London production of Crazy For You transfer
"

Zero percent chance as 1) It'll be a commercial production which would exclude the Beaumont as it's part of Lincoln Center, and 2) They don't do London imports.

"

Didn’t they import Carousel from London in 1994? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:30pm

They are doing a commercial production of The Lehman Trilogy. So it’s not like they don’t do it. But also sounds like the theater in London isn’t really specific for the show. It just happens to be a thrust. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#66Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:57pm

spicemonkey said: "Didn’t they import Carousel from London in 1994?"

And War Horse in 2011.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#67Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/15/23 at 1:41am

The Palace has already been raised

Birdwell
#68Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/17/23 at 6:48pm

Looking forward to dates & theatre for Enemy of the People. Thought Hudson would be great, but Merrily it Rolls Along (yea!).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#69Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/17/23 at 7:01pm

Broadway Flash said: "The Palace has already been raised"

Correct, but there's much to be done below and surrounding it, which could make trying to produce a show amidst construction unfeasible. I would love an official indication from Nederlander of when it will be ready to open again.

PipingHotPiccolo
#70Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/17/23 at 7:43pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "I think there's going to be some surprised people on this board when Hadestown & A Beautiful Noise announce closings.

For Hadestown, stop paying attention to the seats filled percentage and pay attention to the grosses. This is a show that was routinely grossing $800-$900k in the spring and is now hovering around $700k (often lower). Average ticket price is below $100 and hanging out near shows like OUAOMT and SLIH on that list. I expect an announcement this summer that it will close at the end of the year so they can have a long run of people coming back one more time before they actually close.

For A Beautiful Noise, I do think it's possible that they will try the new performance schedule in the fall but its grosses have been terrible lately. It's a show that seems to be losing steam fast the way some others like Tootsie & The Cher Show did. It was doing over $1 million as recently as May but now is way below that. Granted we had the July 4 holiday but it's coming off its lowest grossing week by far. I think an end of year closing is very likely for this show but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it doesn't even make it through the fall.
"

I dont think anyone would be particularly surprised re either; Im not paying much attn to ABN though feels like a show that would suck in a certain targeted audience and then, without great word of mouth/awards, run out of steam. But Hadestown strikes me as a relatively small (cast, band) show to run. Dunno what the nut is but 700k-800k seems manageable if they can generate bumps here and there. If it closes in January it would be, what, a 3ish yr run? Seems about right and perfectly respectable.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#71Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/17/23 at 8:42pm

I highly doubt the change in performance schedule is going to make a marked difference for ABN. At best, it's a "hey, it doesn't hurt to try it and see what happens" move. But that show may just be at its ceiling for buyers & price point.

Fosse76
#72Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/19/23 at 3:52pm

I'm hearing a different theatre for The Notebook. A neighboring theatre.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#73Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/19/23 at 4:34pm

I wonder how loading in would work with the new Palace. Is there like a giant elevator that would take pieces up? Does that restrict then how big a show can be or does stuff now need to be built on site? 

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#74Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/19/23 at 4:42pm

Fosse76 said: "I'm hearing a different theatre for The Notebook. A neighboring theatre."

When? Fall or Spring?

Videos