pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 12:45pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/20/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (5.4%), GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (1.4%), THE LION KING (1%), JUST FOR US (0.9%), & JULIET (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE SHARK IS BROKEN (-19.5%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-19.3%), FUNNY GIRL (-14%), WICKED (-10%), HERE LIES LOVE (-8.3%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-8.2%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-6.9%), CHICAGO (-5.9%), ALADDIN (-4.1%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-2.9%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-2.7%), SIX (-2.6%), ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME (-2.5%), HADESTOWN (-2.3%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-2.2%), THE COTTAGE (-2%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-1.8%), SHUCKED (-1.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.8%), HAMILTON (-0.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 12:51pm

WOW! No wonder OUAOMT is closing. From the looks of all of these grosses, it looks like the Summer crowds have left. Schools are back in session now, so those numbers are not surprising to me. But again, I feel so bad for the cast of OUAOMT who'll be out of a job in just over a week. I just hope the Marquis can find a suitable tenant and end its streak of short-lived shows.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 12:53pm

El Mago Pop with a solid showing!

I’m also surprised with how well Sweeney did this week considering Groban missed most of the performances. 

Oh look, a bibu!

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 12:54pm

Absolute knockout number for Alex Edelman's final week! Extremely impressive for a comedian without mainstream fame. For a point of comparison: Mike Birbiglia (who has more of a following, and is a producer on this show) never grossed $800K in either of his Broadway runs.

Their margins must have been pretty enviable too. I wonder if they recouped? 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:05pm

No wonder ONE MORE TIME announced their closing yesterday - probably to get ahead of the view that’s it’s, by the numbers, pretty dead in the water. Truly a shame because it’s a fun show and people need to embrace fun more (and producers need to embrace more common sense).

I know SHARK is a limited run, but despite a unit set, few props, and a three person cast, I feel like they still cannot possibly make their nut. The futurecast on Telecharge also looks bleak.

Fall is going to be a determinant for many of the shows we seem have on an ongoing death watch (SLIH, Kimberly, ABN), but with a spread out slate of 9 new shows this fall, I wonder if they will hope to nab a potentially higher market share

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:12pm

For only half of capacity A Beautiful Noise made a little bit of money. 

Sad to see Kimberly's numbers slowly going down. It's such a great show, but it is also such a tough show to market. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:13pm

Victoria Clark was on vacation all week.

pmensky
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:20pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "El Mago Popwith a solid showing!

I’m also surprised with how wellSweeneydid this week considering Groban missed most of the performances.
"

Did Groban miss more than the weekend performances? The news that he had Covid didn’t start to spread until Saturday. Most of the tourists would have already had tickets for the weekend, so the grosses will likely be effected more this week than last.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:52pm

Just For Us is the surprise of the summer IMO. What an impressive run.

I don't think that's too bad for Kimberly with Victoria Clark out all week. Not that I think she's a huge influence on ticket sales but still.

With OUAOMT announcing its closing, I think attention should be turned to SLIH. That seems to be in the most danger. A Beautiful Noise too but at this point, they seem determined to give their new fall performance schedule a serious try.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 1:56pm

Here Lies Love was down significantly.  Lea Salonga only did 5 shows last week so that could be why, but what does that mean for them going forward?

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:18pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "With OUAOMT announcing its closing, I think attention should be turned to SLIH. That seems to be in the most danger. A Beautiful Noise too but at this point, they seem determined to give their new fall performance schedule a serious try."

I think SLIH is going to see if they can pick up a little steam through Broadway Week and hopefully push through the fall to end of the year. I don't think a Labor Day closing is in the cards, but a September closing still on the table. ABH is definitely going to make a run for it and close after the holidays -- as will I think Kimberly Akimbo and possibly Shucked.

Ultimately though, compared to most shows, all have had very respectable runs -- some going even longer than most expected. I think both SLIH and ABN can pull strong business on their tours and make up for their losses on Broadway.

Updated On: 8/22/23 at 02:18 PM

hearthemsing22
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:22pm

Constantly wow'ed by how well The Lion King is doing. Not that I expected anything less. Just so happy for the long running show 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:24pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’m also surprised with how wellSweeneydid this week considering Groban missed most of the performances."

It's like FUNNY GIRL when Lea Michele has to call out: Buyers might be cranky, but the majority will keep their seats, and for once that gives the TKTS booth some inventory to move. It's different than trying to sell tickets to a week where the star is advertised to be out on vacation.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:29pm

Word is that ABN will close in January as they have a respectable advance for the Fall and around the holidays. Nothing is trying to take that theater for the Fall and it's falling just short of it's weekly nut currently. But there is a show looking at taking this theater come Spring '24.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

B212323
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:30pm

pmensky said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "El Mago Popwith a solid showing!

I’m also surprised with how wellSweeneydid this week considering Groban missed most of the performances.
"

Did Groban miss more than the weekend performances?The news that he had Covid didn’t start to spread until Saturday. Most of the tourists would have already had tickets for the weekend, so the grosses will likely be effected more this week than last.
"

Yes he missed all the weekend performances and will be missing tomorrow (as will Annaleigh). 

SusaninBaltimore
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:35pm

Re Kimberly, I think Victoria Clark was on vacation this last week. It’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen and I hope it doesn’t close. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:43pm

Broadway Flash said: "Here Lies Love was down significantly. Lea Salonga only did 5 shows last week so that could be why, but what does that mean for them going forward?"

I had the same thought. I wasn't sure what effect she was having on the box office, but this appears to be an indication and, yes, it is sadly worrisome for the future.

Bigserver1
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:48pm

pmensky said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "El Mago Popwith a solid showing!

"

Did Groban miss more than the weekend performances?The news that he had Covid didn’t start to spread until Saturday. Most of the tourists would have already had tickets for the weekend, so the grosses will likely be effected more this week than last.
"

Groban missed Thursday, Friday, 2x Saturday and Sunday. The only shows he performed in last week were the two Wednesday shows. All things considered a really good showing despite his absence. Curious to see what this week looks like with him AND Ashford out for at least Wednesday. 

Bigserver1
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 2:50pm

It's great to see Goodnight, Oscar close so strong. I believe this is its first week over a million? Rough week overall for a lot of shows, seems like Covid absences must be playing a decent part in that. Summer tourism is also coming to an end. 

BETTY22
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 3:08pm

What's happening to Here Lies Love?

This is below break even....

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 4:36pm

BETTY22 said: "What's happening toHere Lies Love?

This is below break even....
"

Lea Salonga’s run ended after the Saturday matinee, so there were three shows without her. Also, Conrad Ricamora (whatever draw he may be) was also out all week with Aaron Alcaraz on as Ninoy. The real assessment of if this show can sustain without star power will be the next few weeks.

Although the announcement of Vina Morales for September and October seems to have ginned up some excitement, I’m not sure if she will have the universal crossover appeal of Salonga

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 4:52pm

I reckon HLL's drop has more to do with softening interest in the piece, a decrease in tourists, and people getting ready to go back-to-school. Only 5 shows had grosses that increased last week from the week before.

Lea Salonga has never been a ticketseller in any other Broadway show and hasn't been widely advertised in HLL.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 5:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I reckon HLL's drop has more to do with softening interest in the piece, a decrease in tourists, and people getting ready to go back-to-school. Only 5 shows had grosses that increased last week from the week before.

Lea Salonga has never been a ticketseller in any other Broadway show and hasn't been widely advertised in HLL.
"

I agree. I think people are overvaluing Lea Salonga's impact on ticket sales. Anyone remember Allegiance?

OhHiii
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 5:28pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I reckon HLL's drop has more to do with softening interest in the piece, a decrease in tourists, and people getting ready to go back-to-school. Only 5 shows had grosses that increased last week from the week before.

"

HLL's decline is ALL to do with Lea's departure. Her Filipino fanbase is avid. And while she isn't a ticket seller for other shows, her in this show is different.

Also, I thought Josh Groban only did the one Wednesday matinee performance, wasn't he out the evening perf last Weds? Could be misremembering Thursday, though.

The word on the street is not many shows are eager to throw their hats in the ring this Fall and are holding out for Spring. Smart business sense, but it seems like this fall is going to be rather sparse in terms of new shows. I'm frankly surprised there aren't any star driven plays announced. With the strikes, you would have thought Broadway would've jumped on the phones immediately.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/23
Posted: 8/22/23 at 5:29pm

JoeW4 said: "Absolute knockout number for Alex Edelman's final week! Extremely impressive for a comedian without mainstream fame. For a point of comparison: Mike Birbiglia (who has more of a following, and is a producer on this show) never grossed $800K in either of his Broadway runs.

Their margins must have been pretty enviable too. I wonder if they recouped?
"

The show was filmed Aug 15 & 16th.  I bet a Netflix, or other streamer,  announcement is around the corner - if a limited tour isn't already planned.