pixeltracker

Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??

Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 9:46am

Cursed Child tour announced
How much of the tech, magic, stunts etc will have to go?

Updated On: 10/16/23 at 09:46 AM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#2Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:30am

How can  people still support the Harry Potter brand? That's the real question.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#3Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:51am

Aren’t you tired. 

hearthemsing22
#4Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:59am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "How can people still support the Harry Potter brand? That's the real question."

Well people still see the play. Obviously they can. Move on. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#5Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:02am

jpbran said: "Cursed Child tour announced
How much of the tech, magic, stunts etc will have to go?
"

I also wondered this, too. She makes note of the creative team figuring it out, but hopefully they don't have to cut, or simplify, too much.

Jay Lerner-Z
#6Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:07am

Hearthemsing22, I tried to reply to the PMs you sent me, but when I click it just says that you don't accept them.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:08am

Tons of big high-tech Broadway shows have gone on the road before. This will be no different. The design will of course be slightly modified, and I'm guessing this will play multiple-week engagements in the cities it stops at. I'm not surprised by this news at all - this will make gangbusters on the road.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JSquared2
#8Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:10am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "How can people still support the Harry Potter brand? That's the real question."

JFC, give it a rest already.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#9Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:33am

It's interesting, because a banner ad for the "high school edition" of the play appeared as I was reading this thread, and I am wondering if the illusions for the tour will be similar to suggestions for the high school productions.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Islander_fan
#10Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:43am

fashionguru_23 said: "It's interesting, because a banner ad for the "high school edition" of the play appeared as I was reading this thread, and I am wondering if the illusions for the tour will be similar to suggestions for the high school productions."

I highly doubt that to be the case. I mean, the finances involved to make the illusions for a Broadway tour far more exceed that of any given high school. Regardless of how good a theatre program a high school has. 

Updated On: 10/16/23 at 11:43 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:57am

I've never seen a tour that utilizes the bottom of the stage,  so I'd imagine the shape shifting stuff will be altered? 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#12Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 12:17pm

RippedMan said: "I've never seen a tour that utilizes the bottom of the stage, so I'd imagine the shape shifting stuff will be altered?"

Unless (and please correct me if this isn't possible) they can build a stage on top of the already exciting touring stage to incorporate their own stage doors, I'm unsure if that idea makes any sense. I felt a bit silly even writing it, but who knows? I'm genuinely curious about how they plan to execute many of these effects.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#13Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 1:37pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

It's hard to imagine that every house will be able to support the flying Dementors over the audience.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#14Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 2:42pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Tons of big high-tech Broadway shows have gone on the road before. This will be no different. The design will of course be slightly modified…

It’s well beyond a chandelier or helicopter scene. And it’s not just one big effect that’ll have to be modified; it’s SO many throughout the long show. Hadestown couldn’t pull off the “pit” on tour — and didn’t Wicked have to completely rework/water down the “surprise” character reveal at the end on most stops? And Moulin can’t do the windmill and elephant in most touring houses. Cursed is so beyond all of these in scope and, for good or bad, is made or broken partially by these effects (many involving large amounts of actual fire) and stunts, as well as the immersive elements that involve a good portion of the theater. I’m a fan of the show, and not as critical of the story/script as many are, but would be throughly let down without all (or even most) of the “wow” being intact. Just my $.02. 

Updated On: 10/16/23 at 02:42 PM

hearthemsing22
#15Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:04pm

jpbran said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Tons of big high-tech Broadway shows have gone on the road before. This will be no different. The design will of course be slightly modified…

It’s well beyond a chandelier or helicopter scene. And it’s not just one big effect that’ll have to be modified; it’s SO many throughout the long show. Hadestown couldn’t pull off the “pit” on tour — and didn’t Wicked have to completely rework/water down the “surprise” character reveal at the end on most stops? And Moulin can’t do the windmill and elephant in most touring houses. Cursed is so beyond all of these in scope and, for good or bad, is made or broken partially by these effects (many involving large amounts of actual fire) and stunts, as well as the immersive elements that involve a good portion of the theater. I’m a fan of the show, and not as critical of the story/script as many are, but would be throughly let down without all (or even most) of the “wow” being intact. Just my $.02.
"

Didn't Wicked also have to rework the beginning of "No Good Deed" with Elphaba coming up out of the ground as well? She just runs onstage in the tour iteration?

I have no idea how they'll pull off the writing in Delphi's room though. Unless they cut out the part where it's written all over the venue walls as well 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#16Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:19pm

fashionguru_23 said: "It's interesting, because a banner ad for the "high school edition" of the play appeared as I was reading this thread, and I am wondering if the illusions for the tour will be similar to suggestions for the high school productions."

The touring production of Cursed Child will be based on the version as seen at the Lyric Theatre on Broadway. This is incredibly ambitious but I don't think they would embark on this tour if they weren't confident that people will love it. It will continue to print money anywhere it exists. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#17Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:21pm

Because it's good?

And because mature adults can separate the art from the artist.

Jay Lerner-Z
#18Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:31pm

Can they separate the artist from the money she invests in hate groups?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#19Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:47pm

Can you separate yourself from the login button on this site? 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#20Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 5:53pm

I wonder if they will incorporate the special effect of foreign tourists talking in full voice throughout the show and screaming children running up and down the aisles from start to finish. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#21Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 6:29pm

Matt Rogers said: "I wonder if they will incorporate the special effect of foreign tourists talking in full voice throughout the show and screaming children running up and down the aisles from start to finish."

Of course! It's the most exciting magic of the whole show!

Jay Lerner-Z
#22Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 6:38pm

This looks interesting. Maybe it'll go on an American tour. We can all go together, it'll be fun.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Melbourne-Fringe-to-Present-AN-EVENING-WITH-JK-A-New-Play-Centered-on-JK-Rowling-20231016

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#23Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 6:55pm

The modifications for this to tour will be extensive.  The Broadway & sitdown productions have had to reconfigure their backstage spaces (above, and below).  I can't imagine this tour will resemble much of what you see in currently running productions (beyond the aesthetic look).

Also FYI, the tour will be reduced to under 3 hours.  So the already cut book, will be getting more snips.

Fosse76
#24Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 7:12pm

Lot666 said: "

It's hard to imagine that every house will be able to support the flying Dementors over the audience.

"

Peter Pan manages to do it.

Updated On: 10/16/23 at 07:12 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#25Cursed Child North American tour announced…. How??
Posted: 10/16/23 at 7:21pm

Fosse76 said: "Lot666 said: "

"

Peter Pan manages to do it.

"

You're comparing apples and oranges.