APPROPRIATE Reviews

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#25APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 12/20/23 at 9:08am

Got a $43 TodayTix rush for tonight with no difficulty. I think these days leading up to Christmas might offer a better chance of getting through for anyone looking to get a discount ticket.

Updated On: 12/20/23 at 09:08 AM

MatthewS1
#26APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 12/20/23 at 11:11am

bfreak said: "Keep in mind, I believe 30 Under 30 tickets are still available (if you’re under 30, obviously). I was anticipating the great reviews and bought a ticket a few days ago for next month and am happy with the seat (Row P Right Orchestra)."

Seeing it this afternoon from those same seats! Excited to report back- really looking forward to this one

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#27APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 12/20/23 at 11:14pm

Orchestra right M 10 for TodayTix rush tonight, perfect view. Regarding house left, I think even the partial views further back would be perfectly fine, as long as the staircase is visible. The front door and entranceway will be out of sight, but that's not an issue.

As far as the play is concerned, I thought it was a stunner, which I credit mostly to Lila Neugebauer's direction and strong performances, rather than to the script itself. 

Cynthia Erivo attended last night, as well.

Also, for anyone wondering, the pronunciation of the title is the adjective form, meaning "suitable."

Updated On: 12/21/23 at 11:14 PM

In The Jackson Heights
#28APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 12/28/23 at 1:37pm

I didn't know this play at all going in but had high expectations as a HUGE fan of Sarah Paulson and knowing that the reviews were all positive (but not reading them so I could go in fresh).

Unfortunately, this show really didn't do it for me.  The acting was great across the board and the set is phenomenal.  Those are the only positive things I can say.  2 hours 40 minutes was very long and more importantly, it was extremely unpleasant to sit and watch horrible people scream awful things at each other, in many cases played for laughs.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

None of the characters seems to have any arc.  There's no resolution.  Their secrets are exposed, they shout more terrible things at each other and then it's done.

I'm glad it seems to be resonating with a lot of people and I'm happy that Second Stage seems to have a hit on their hands, but I really did not like it at all.  

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#29APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:14pm

They were selling their obnoxious $300 tickets today until at least 3PM. They didn’t know by then that cast members  were unable to perform due to illness and that the show was cancelled???

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:18pm

Matt Rogers said: "They were selling their obnoxious $300 tickets today until at least 3PM. They didn’t know by then that cast members were unable to perform due to illness and that the show was cancelled???"

They've been open for a month now. Are their u/s not rehearsed? I found this cancellation odd.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yyys
#31APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:14pm

maybe multiple people have COVID?  

ACL2006 said: "Matt Rogers said: "They were selling their obnoxious $300 tickets today until at least 3PM. They didn’t know by then that cast members were unable to perform due to illness and that the show was cancelled???"

They've been open for a month now. Are their u/s not rehearsed? I found this cancellation odd.
"

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#32APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/5/24 at 7:00pm

Just walked in to tonight’s show after anticipating a cancellation. Only understudy is for Rachael (Natalie Gold) who will now be played by Lila Neugebauer!

willep
#33APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/5/24 at 11:16pm

Ooh fun! Seeing it tomorrow night, mostly for Sarah. I know Elle is going to be out, curious if Lila is just going to play the role for the whole weekend

willep
#34APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/6/24 at 11:46pm

Just an update to say that tonight Rachael was played by the understudy, Dana Skaarstad. She was great in the first few scenes to the point where I wouldn’t have guessed she was an understudy if I hadn’t known. Then came her big scene in act one, and you could tell she was getting flustered and starting to paraphrase, then she called for line twice. I thought maybe she was newly added to the production, but IBDb has her listed in the opening night cast, so I’m pretty shocked that an understudy wouldn’t know the lines at this point in the run.

Overall I loved the show though, and would like to go back and see it with Gold and Fanning in their roles.

JayVenclaw
#35APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/8/24 at 12:59pm

I was also there for this performance. I was also a little taken out of the moment when Dana called "line" twice. I do see in the Playbill she understudies both 'Toni' and this role so I wonder if this a case of the performer focused more on the lead then than a secondary character and got caught off guard? But, also, I thought I read they got notification the day before because Natalie Gold was out then? Lastly, we def had an additional understudy in the back of the ORCH house R last row taking notes during Sat nights performance. Not sure who it was for though as this performer looked closer to River's age than Bo's wife (sorry, character name is escaping me currently.)

Still a fantastic piece and glad I got to experience it!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#36APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/8/24 at 1:23pm

Is it still protocol for an actor to be out of the show for 10 days if they test positive, or are they permitted back sooner now pending a negative test?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#37APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/8/24 at 3:46pm

Thank you for this information, I was considering picking up a last minute seat for Wednesday but going to hold-off for now. 

While sickness can't be avoided, at the prices they're charging, I'd be really annoyed to drop 300+ for a seat only for an actor to call for lines.  

BETTY22
#38APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/8/24 at 3:57pm

I LOVED IT. This cast is spectacular and the direction in brilliant 

Cowboysfan84
#39APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/9/24 at 2:18pm

Hello everyone. Who is out this week? I was thinking of going Wednesday. Are Elle Fanning and Sarah Paulson scheduled to be in? 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#40APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/10/24 at 12:13am

I didn’t like this as much as the audience did, or the critics. It felt like a basic play about a dysfunctional family and all their resentments and confronting the past.  I feel like I’ve seen this play so many times over the past few years.  I thought Sarah Paulson was fine and did a nice job with the monologue at the end.  Bo’s rant about the plight of white men seemed to come out of nowhere.  Was the kid jerking off to the pictures of the dead people?  What did the tree at the end mean?  Rebirth?  Growing over the past? Moving on?  Like the wood River was talking about top of act 2?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#41APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/10/24 at 12:44am

Is this actually an adaptation of The Cherry Orchard?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#42APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/10/24 at 4:21pm

Holy **** that was great!  Is any play coming in with a female lead that could possibly challenge Paulson?   The cast was a collective delight, but my god was that a tremendous performance.

For the poster who asked, Elle Fanning and Sarah Paulson were both in today's matinee (a student matinee no less, most of whom who seem enthralled, especially the last 30 minutes).

Leaving this play I was left wondering when I had seen a non-historical play and/or  an original IP play win the Tony for best play.  A quick google search shows that there haven't been many over the past couple of decades.   Would love this play to join that group.  I've already bought tickets for February (...wow are those prices steep!).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#43APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/10/24 at 4:25pm

Play Esq. said: "Holy **** that was great! Is any play coming in with a female lead that could possibly challenge Paulson?"

Paulson is certainly #1 in this early stage of the season. Upcoming we have Tyne Daly in Doubt, Rachel McAdams in Mary Jane, and Jessica Lange in Mother Play who could all be possible Actress contenders (sight unseen).

Updated On: 1/10/24 at 04:25 PM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#44APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 7:37pm

Sarah Paulson gives the best dramatic performance since Edie Falco in Side Man. The play needs to be transferred if the actors are available. The direction is top notch! I am so happy that I got to see it. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#45APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 7:44pm

UWS10023 said: "Sarah Paulson gives the best dramatic performance since Edie Falco in Side Man. The play needs to be transferred if the actors are available. The direction is top notch! I am so happy that I got to see it."

Transferred to what?

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#46APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 11:05pm

All actors in tonight, and wow this play is a FIRECRACKER. Hysterical, horrifying, thought provoking. Branden Jacob-Jenkins is on a whole other tier of playwriting. The entire production is top notch. I can’t stop thinking about it. Bravo.

bfreak
#47APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/12/24 at 5:41pm

Tonight’s performance is cancelled. Received the email at 5:04pm.

Jarethan
#48APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/12/24 at 6:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Play Esq. said: "Holy **** that was great! Is any play coming in with a female lead that could possibly challenge Paulson?"

Paulson is certainly #1 in this early stage of the season. Upcoming we haveTyne Daly in Doubt, Rachel McAdams in Mary Jane, and Jessica Lange in Mother Play who could all be possible Actress contenders (sight unseen).
"

I have no doubt that Sarah Paulson is great in the show.  I think it is sad that, in mid-January, her perceived competition for a Tony are three actresses whose productions have not even been seen yet.  I have to go back to perhaps the 70s to see such a paucity on new plays on Broadway (and Doubt is a revival).  From reading the reviews, I would also imagine that the lead in Prayers... will also be a likely nominee.  

I have been hoping that both shows will have the opportunity to transfer so I will have the opportunity to see them in the spring.  Good as it is doing, I would have expected Appropriate to be selling out based on the reviews that I read, especially since it is in a small theatre.  That fact may discourage talks of a possible transfer.  Re Prayer, the reviews were not the 'this is the play you must see' type that I expected.  Will keep my fingers crossed.

willep
#49APPROPRIATE Reviews
Posted: 1/12/24 at 7:51pm

Transfer? Transfer to where?