News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway- Page 4

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway

BETTY22
#75SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 6:54pm

It is going to the Saint James theatre. 

Needs a square proscenium - which James her - not a letter box...

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#76SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 8:23pm

Not quite.

Dynamic pricing isn't discounting IMO, because the prices can go up as well as down,  it rarely went down beyond advertised price, and if they were, it was for a few single tickets. How is it a discount when tickets were selling for £295?

Okay, yes it was at TKTS, but again, single seats early in the run,

There was never a performance where the top 3 or 4 prices were reduced and not at weekends. If there were any, again, it was for a few single tickets only. If selling a few single tickets at a reduced price last minute means it isn't a sell out, then there hasn't been a show in history to be considered a sell out.

Seeing as you like to quote theatreboard, here is a link to all the posts that mention TKTS, that will confirm everything that I said: https://theatreboard.co.uk/thread/10677/sunset-boulevard-savoy-theatre-2023?page=2&q=TKTS

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#77SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 8:58pm

I can’t image it’ll sell out the st James as I’m sure that balcony is going to feel so boring with nothing to look at but a black floor. But I’m sure it’ll be profitable. 

Theatrefan2
#78SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 2:37am

Sorry not true. Weekends were reduced sometimes during Oct and November , mid week a lot of the time. And it was more than single seats, and on some occasions the mid 100s tickets  dropped below £100.

Again I know this as I watched the charts closely, and had a friend group who did and used them and booked more than one seat on numerous occasions. 

If you don't think tkts and dynamic pricing are discounting then OK. Don't understand that logic at all. But the prices were one price, and they dropped either the night before or often around 10am the day of performance (and sometimes again early afternoon). Sometimes tkts had discounts the show website didn't, but usually they matched up.

Admitting there were discounted tickets doesn't take away from the quality of the show or the overall success of it.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#79SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 4:34am

Please, you could get 80£ front stalls tickets on the day and TKTS for most of October and November. That's over 50% discount. It sold well and did good business, but it wasn't exactly Hamilton at the Public.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#80SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 8:27am

RippedMan said: "I can’t image it’ll sell out the st James as I’m sure that balcony is going to feel so boring with nothing to look at but a black floor. But I’m sure it’ll be profitable."

You don't think the screen will be visible in the balcony? Wasn't it mostly visible from the grand circle at Savoy? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#81SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 8:29am

I'm not sure how deep the stage needs to be for this? So hopefully they take that into consideration? 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#82SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:00am

FANtomFollies said: "RippedMan said: "I can’t image it’ll sell out the st James as I’m sure that balcony is going to feel so boring with nothing to look at but a black floor. But I’m sure it’ll be profitable."

You don't think the screen will be visible in the balcony? Wasn't it mostly visible from the grand circle at Savoy?
"

Yeah, not sure where RippedMan got that idea from. Here's a photo from the very last row of the balcony and you can see most of the back wall. I can't imagine the back screen for this show would be any further back than New York, New York's backdrop here.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/238253/st.+james+theatre/section-balcony+l/row-h/seat-15/ 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#83SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/8/24 at 10:21am

Almost every show has discounts offered at some point during their run -- I think the bigger take away is that in the final month of the run, the show sold out, and tickets in London were selling for outrageous prices. True to that New York Post article, I know over a dozen people who flew over from the states in the final weeks to see it and their reactions were eccstatic. It's not how you start, it's where you finish. And Sunset in London went out on a very high note. There is currently a major buzz around the production that should help launch strong ticket sales in New York. I actually think there is far more buzz about this production than Cabaret.  It will not likely happen, but if they were soley looking at potential profit margins, ATG should consider pushing Cabaret to next season and let Sunset be their star attraction for the spring.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#84SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 10:21am

In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#85SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 10:27am

Lot666 said: "In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?"

My interpretation was that, when Joe decides to leave Norma for good, he starts stripping himself of the expensive clothes she has gotten him, and then gets shot.  It was one thing I think I understood in this production, which I really, really disliked.

BETTY22
#86SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 10:36am

The limited run so well in London but not great. 

UK critics were much more mixed than US outlets. 

St James is a big theatre.....

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#87SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 4:15pm

BETTY22 said: "The limited run so well in London but not great.

"

I don’t know what you’re talking about .  This was an absolute smash hit beyond anything they were expecting.  And the reviews were great  It will do extremely well in its transfer .   First time in a while where people were coming into London just to see the show.

Updated On: 1/20/24 at 04:15 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#88SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 4:47pm

SmokeyLady said: "BETTY22 said: "The limited run so well in London but not great.

"

I don’t know what you’re talking about . This was an absolute smash hit beyond anything they were expecting. And the reviews were great It will do extremely well in its transfer . First time in a while where people were coming into London just to see the show.
"

It did very very well, but "all the reviews were great" is true only if we count 3* from the Guardian or the Times as great reviews. I think it's accurate to say that American critics embraced it more, even if the London reception was not generally lukewarm 

lopside
#89SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/20/24 at 5:27pm

And the 3 from Observer and the pan from Variety..

Penna2
#90SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/21/24 at 6:18pm

Menken Fan said: "Lot666 said: "In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?"

My interpretation was that, when Joe decides to leave Norma for good, he starts stripping himself of the expensive clothes she has gotten him, and then gets shot. It was one thing I think I understood in this production, which I really, really disliked.
"

In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that.

Updated On: 1/21/24 at 06:18 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#91SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/22/24 at 8:38am

Penna2 said: "In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that."

So he's not attempting to leave the house when she kills him in this production?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#92SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/22/24 at 8:47am

Lot666 said: "Penna2 said: "In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that."

So he's not attempting to leave the house when she kills him in this production?
"

As mentioned earliier, he's taking off the fancy clothes Norma bought for him in preparation to leave. She knows it means he's leaving and so does the audience. He's not literally walking away with suitcase though.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#93SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/22/24 at 8:54am

Penna2 said: "Menken Fan said: "Lot666 said: "In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?"

My interpretation was that, when Joe decides to leave Norma for good, he starts stripping himself of the expensive clothes she has gotten him, and then gets shot. It was one thing I think I understood in this production, which I really, really disliked.
"

In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that.
"

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa

Updated On: 1/22/24 at 08:54 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#94SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:13am

I agree that the dramatic purpose of him taking off his clothes is to signify he is about to leave her and giving back what she gave him (Norma knows this and starts freaking out asking him not to leave). The side effect entertainment purpose is that the audience audibly swoons every time it happens and you can hear groans of satisfaction from women and gay men. It’s very funny. And it is a classic example of what Michael R Jackson made fun of in the Pulitzer Prize winning A Strange Loop re; needing the leads to be ‘f able’ and that there shouldn’t be a ‘limp d’ or ‘dry p’ in the house. Jamie Lloyd - and I think it’s a theme running through this production - knows how to tread the fine line between dramatic story telling and giving the audience what they want. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jman16
#95SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/24/24 at 9:57pm

Nicole has been announced as a headliner at a music festival in the UK this Summer.

https://henley-festival.co.uk/artist/nicole-scherzinger/

Her biog confirms it's going to the St James. 

"Due to the huge success of this show in London, Nicole has been asked to continue her role as Norma Desmond in Broadway in the fall 2024 at the iconic St James Theatre."

Penna2
#96SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/24/24 at 10:24pm

Lot666 said: "Penna2 said: "In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that."

"

The show opens with him getting out of a body bag in his underwear/swimsuit, probably underwear, since there is a scene with him changing clothes in Act 1. Doubt he changed during intermission - the show is very stark in terms of costuming and everything else, except for the talent. The movie opens with him floating in a swimming pool. He could easily have been in his underwear. It makes sense that his leaving was shy she killed him. TBH, I have a boot of the show and have only watched the first act. Never watched the movie all the way through, couldn't stand Swanson. Just remember Joe floating in the pool face down. Never saw any other stage production (lack of interest), so I guess I should watch the rest of my video. (Having the time is the reason I haven't watched the whole thing, not the show itself - Nicole is simply brilliant.)

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#97SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/30/24 at 6:10pm

How about Mel C for Tuesday ?

Updated On: 1/30/24 at 06:10 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#98SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/31/24 at 9:05pm

Lena Hall did a stitch with a Sweaty Oracle TikTok about the upcoming Cats revival, expressing her enthusiasm over radically reimagined revivals, and, in the comments section, she said she'd love to do the new Sunset. I haven't seen it yet, but it seems like she might be a good fit for the production, and, personally, I'd love to hear her sing the score.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#99SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/31/24 at 9:28pm

She’s not a star. 

Videos