News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

SMASH Reading Lottery

Zeppie2022
#50SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/9/24 at 11:21pm

"I thought making Smash a show made more sense but that plot sounds dreadful."

I agree!! The stage manager has Broadway caliber acting ability and singing voice, who knew -lmao. Acting coach gets hired and gets client hooked on "bennies", love to see the motivation for that move - lmao. Act One ends and there is a new star on Broadway after two leads screw up opportunity to star on the show, that is really believable -ha ha. Show has already opened and then it is decided to restructure the show due to a death with somebody not in the show anymore. That makes absolutely no sense especially since the "star" is an overnight sensation with the show that has already opened and reviewed. Death on opening night, gee I have never heard about that before on Broadway (note sarcasm). If you thought that was lame on the TV series with Kyle, seems even worse cramming it in during Act Two. 

I understand they did not want to do exact copy of the TV series, but I hope there are big time changes, sadly doubt it. 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#51SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/10/24 at 12:27am

WOw.  Yes, Bella i Coppola IS a star.  Where did she train?  WOW.

Saxer isn't a lead - chorus yes, but as Karen, no.

Updated On: 2/10/24 at 12:27 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/10/24 at 4:22pm

CoffeeBreak said: "WOw. Yes, Bella i Coppola ISa star. Where did she train? WOW.

Saxer isn't a lead - chorus yes, but as Karen, no.
"

Bella went to Texas State.

In other news, Equity just voted unanimously to authorize a developmental strike against the Broadway League; I take it this would probably mean the rest of the open rehearsals would be cancelled if an agreement isn’t reached by tomorrow (when the current one expires)?

Oh look, a bibu!

B212323
#53SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/11/24 at 11:28pm

MemorableUserName said: "Hopefully she was wearing a terrible scarf..."

Best laugh I've had in weeks! 

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#54SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:15am

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the plot changes very much (and I'm disappointed that some who were there disregarded the request we got before the show started to keep the plot twists under wraps. I guess getting free tickets didn't merit honoring this request. Too bad.)

But to me, this turned from a show I found very funny (and EXTREMELY entertaining)) to one that while keeping the humor turned into something with significantly more depth and pathos. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

All So Ozmopolitan
#55SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/13/24 at 1:35pm

To anyone who went yet, what's the word on runtime / overall time commitment?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#56SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/13/24 at 2:25pm

All So Ozmopolitan said: "To anyone who went yet, what's theword on runtime / overall time commitment?"

Around 3 hours, maybe a little more depending on how quickly you fill out the survey.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#57SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/16/24 at 6:09pm

This caught me by surprise, in a great way. 

Place was packed this afternoon for the final open rehearsal, and I still can’t believe I spotted Patti and Spielberg. Saw most of the creatives, Angie Schworer, Lance Roberts, Matthew Lopez, Macy Schmidt too.

I wasn’t overly familiar with the TV series beforehand, but I had heard some of the music before. Marc and Scott have written a tuneful score that barely falters, and it’s too bad they won’t be Tony-eligible for this. There’s a delightful new song towards the end which was an unexpected highlight. 

Entrance applause today for Hurder, Ashmanskas, Brown, and Nielsen (who all but steals the show). The cast is littered with comic pros, lots of belly laughing from today’s audience. I take that as a very good sign. 

First act felt a tiny bit overlong, I didn’t really like the second-act opener, and I thought Some Like It Hot had the better “Let’s Be Bad.”

This is a top-notch cast and creative team, they know what they’re doing, I think they’re in a great place at the moment. Hope I can catch the full version next season. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#58SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/16/24 at 7:03pm

What’s the song list?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

WestEndGal
#59SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:42am

I’m so so intrigued to see how this does commercially when it finally lands on a Broadway stage. Obviously it has got the tv show name (and infamy!) to help it, some great songs, it’ll have all the Broadway community buzz, it’s being backed by Spielberg and other powerful producers and am sure it will get a lot of promotion locally and nationally - but then one of the reasons Smash the tv show failed was because it was ultimately too niche of a show for the mainstream. And shows on Broadway now live or die based on how much they appeal to the mainstream, and/or big name stars. Will “it’s a show based on that Broadway based tv Smash” be enough to sustain it in the long term?! Who knows! 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#60SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/17/24 at 8:07am

Hurder's Ivy is getting strong feedback. Hopefully, they fix the storyline so this doesn't become a flop next year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Zeppie2022
#61SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/17/24 at 10:01am

"I’m so so intrigued to see how this does commercially when it finally lands on a Broadway stage. Obviously it has got the tv show name (and infamy!) to help it, some great songs, it’ll have all the Broadway community buzz, it’s being backed by Spielberg and other powerful producers and am sure it will get a lot of promotion locally and nationally - but then one of the reasons Smash the tv show failed was because it was ultimately too niche of a show for the mainstream. And shows on Broadway now live or die based on how much they appeal to the mainstream, and/or big name stars. Will “it’s a show based on that Broadway based tv Smash” be enough to sustain it in the long term?! Who knows!"

There is a difference between keeping an audience for a weekly TV show than a 2 1/2-hour Broadway show. The TV show had so many story lines and a bunch of them were not any good. (Karen's BF, Julia's family/affair etc.). I am not a big fan of some of the script as I mentioned in another post but what the heck do I know.  Personally, even if it is mildly successful, I can't imagine it would have much more than a year run.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#62SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 2/17/24 at 6:21pm

This sounds like a huge camp-fest: a little "Valley of the Dolls", mixed with a bit of "All About Eve" and a dash of "Death Becomes Her". 

willep
#63SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:37pm

Audition posting up for Broadway production, spring 2025. Most rolls cast, noticeably Karen is not.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#64SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:53pm

willep said: "Audition posting up for Broadway production, spring 2025. Most rolls cast, noticeably Karen is not."

Will be interesting to see who replaces Jonalyn and Yvette Nicole Brown. 

Oh look, a bibu!

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#65SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 6/1/24 at 12:41am

I really enjoyed this but something about Jonalyn didn’t do it for me. It may have been how it was written, I think she’s a great performer otherwise. I felt like the character needed more bite, and to that point, needed someone other than her playing it.

hearthemsing22
#66SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 6/3/24 at 8:54am

DiscoCrows said: "I really enjoyed this but something about Jonalyn didn’t do it for me. It may have been how it was written, I think she’s a great performer otherwise. I felt like the character needed more bite, and to that point, needed someone other than her playing it."

I loved her as Karen in Mean Girls, but I'm not sure if I buy her as one of the leads in this highly anticipated show 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#67SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:21pm

According to Smash's socials, it appears a Broadway announcement is coming this week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#68SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:26pm

ACL2006 said: "According to Smash's socials, it appears a Broadway announcement is coming this week."

yes and they also sponsored the Briefing this morning.

Wonder how much work has been done on the book following the workshop. That sounded like a big YIKES.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#69SMASH Reading Lottery
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:29pm

DiscoCrows said: "I really enjoyed this but something about Jonalyn didn’t do it for me. It may have been how it was written, I think she’s a great performer otherwise. I felt like the character needed more bite, and to that point, needed someone other than her playing it."

Great ensemble player! - Just doesn't light up the stage/rehearsal room.  They will hire a bright star.

Videos