pixeltracker

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews- Page 2

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews

MemorableUserName
#25THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/10/24 at 8:08pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’d love to hear if they kept theonstage rain too!"

They definitely did. There's a warning that flashes on the website if you select a front row seat that you'll get wet.

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews

Updated On: 2/10/24 at 08:08 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#26THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/10/24 at 11:32pm

So what did we think?

Listed runtime: 2:20, including a 15-minute intermission

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/10/24 at 11:36pm

Intermission was around a half hour tonight, I think. And there was about a 7 minute stop in act two for a technical problem - looked like a set piece came off its tracks. So it was a little long. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#28THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:00am

so … it sucked…right?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 4:37am

Maybe it's a joke to illustrate this very point but Aaron and Tviet get an 'it sucked' based on 10 seconds of misleading bootlegs recordings and The Notebook get an 'it sucked' from people who don't appear to have seen it and barely any other info yet. LOL what is going on???

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 2/11/24 at 04:37 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 7:04am

Well, one person asked if it sucked, seeming with expectations of that being the case... So not quite what you're implying. 

Most of the actual comments were pretty positive. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jordan Catalano
#31THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:34am

No, it didn't suck. I just didnt' write my thoughts last night because I wanted to think about it. It's a show based on a film I love where the cast was all wonderful, a lot of the score is great, staging is beautiful and yet, it just let me feeling very "meh" and I don't know why. I'm a sap that cries at everything and for a classic tear-jerker, not even one tear, here - I even brought tissues!  My reaction to this surprises me so much that I'm going to go back in a few weeks to see if I can figure it out. 

Something that truly annoyed me (not enough to cloud the entire evening, though) is that Michael Greif has directed a dozen shows on Broadway and should absolutely know better than to stage that much action at the foot of the stage with people sitting down. At BEST these are scenes and songs (one full song in particular) partially obstructed for mostly everyone (I'd imagine) if not completely blocked as it was for me last night. Even the action on the far sides of the stage is set too close to the foot at times that could be blocked by heads. Maybe it was just the certain seat I was in (center front mezz) and the exact people in the few rows directly in front of me and it was more annoying to me than anyone else. *shrug*

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 09:34 AM

kennin
#32THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:52am

Jordan Catalano said: "No, it didn't suck. I just didnt' write my thoughts last night because I wanted to think about it. It's a show based on a film I love wherethe cast was all wonderful, a lot of the score is great, staging isbeautiful and yet, it just let me feeling very "meh" and I don't know why. I'm a sap that cries at everything and for a classic tear-jerker, not even one tear, here -I even brought tissues! My reaction to this surprises me so much that I'm going to go back in a few weeks to see if I can figure it out.

Something that truly annoyed me(not enough to cloud the entire evening, though) is that Michael Greif has directed a dozen shows on Broadway and should absolutely know better than to stage that much action at the foot of the stage with people sitting down. At BEST these are scenes and songs (one full song in particular)partially obstructed for mostly everyone (I'd imagine) if not completely blocked as it was for me last night. Even the action on the far sides of the stage is set too close to the foot at times that could be blocked by heads. Maybe it was just the certain seat I was in (center front mezz) and the exact people in the few rows directly in front of me and it was more annoying to me than anyone else. *shrug*
"

I agree with Jordan about the staging. We were front row center mezzanine and having to lean forward to see scenes happening at the front of the stage.  I loved the music.  It seems like a show that is best seen from the orchestra.  I did like that the playbills had a first preview sticker and the fact that they gave out first preview keychains.  I thought Joy Woods was a stand-out.  Like Jordan, I expected a big cry but it did not hit me as emotionally as I expected.  

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#33THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:52am

I am excited to hear people's thoughts on this.  I saw this in Chicago and wept through most of it, mostly because I had never seen the movie or read the book.  It did feel to me like the set/direction felt very forced for a proscenium stage - like it would have felt more natural in a non-traditional stage. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Mitch101
#34THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:19am

This is not solely directed by Michael, and when you see The Wiz revival you will understand why The Notebook direction is so poor. 

Jordan Catalano
#35THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:22am

You're absolutely right - I singled him out since he has a longer experience as Director who should have known better (I say as someone who has never directed anything lol)

Alex Kulak2
#36THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:25am

I wonder why Greif felt the need to have a co-director at all. The guy's easily one of the most commercially and artistically successful directors working in the theatre today, who said during the development of this show that he couldn't handle it on his own?

Jordan Catalano
#37THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:29am

Mitch101 said: "This is not solely directed by Michael, and when you see The Wiz revival you will understand why The Notebook direction is so poor."

Also, no. I want to clarify my issue was with ONE particular thing - staging at the foot or close to the foot of the stage where they're obstructed. The rest of the staging I thought was wonderful. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:33am

Alex Kulak2 said: "I wonder why Greif felt the need to have a co-director at all. The guy's easily one of the most commercially and artistically successful directors working in the theatre today, who said during the development of this show that he couldn't handle it on his own?"

I think it was simply a practical matter considering the number of shows he’s working on. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

lopside
#39THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:33am

Probably the fact that he's directing two other shows besides this one this spring. Kind of irresponsible really. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:34pm

kennin said: "Jordan Catalano said: "No, it didn't suck. I just didnt' write my thoughts last night because I wanted to think about it. It's a show based on a film I love wherethe cast was all wonderful, a lot of the score is great, staging isbeautiful and yet, it just let me feeling very "meh" and I don't know why. I'm a sap that cries at everything and for a classic tear-jerker, not even one tear, here -I even brought tissues! My reaction to this surprises me so much that I'm going to go back in a few weeks to see if I can figure it out.

Something that truly annoyed me(not enough to cloud the entire evening, though) is that Michael Greif has directed a dozen shows on Broadway and should absolutely know better than to stage that much action at the foot of the stage with people sitting down. At BEST these are scenes and songs (one full song in particular)partially obstructed for mostly everyone (I'd imagine) if not completely blocked as it was for me last night. Even the action on the far sides of the stage is set too close to the foot at times that could be blocked by heads. Maybe it was just the certain seat I was in (center front mezz) and the exact people in the few rows directly in front of me and it was more annoying to me than anyone else. *shrug*
"

I agree with Jordan about the staging. We were front row center mezzanine and having to lean forward to see scenes happening at the front of the stage. I loved the music. It seems like a show that is best seen from the orchestra. I did like that the playbills had a first preview sticker and the fact that they gave out first preview keychains. I thought Joy Woods was a stand-out. Like Jordan, I expected a big cry but it did not hit me as emotionally as I expected.
"

I agree with the “meh” feeling. However I didn’t have an issue with the staging in Chicago. It’s probably just the venue. But maybe they’ll adjust it since you were literally in prime seating and couldn’t see it. 

To me they hit you over the head with the sadness factor. The opening song, the show being so dark, it’s like “hey go cry” and so it all felt so forced. 

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 01:34 PM

Dom P
#41THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:13pm

Yes. He's also directed/directing Days of Wine & Roses, and Hell's Kitchen. Hopefully,he will tighten up and adjust some of the issues ,raised by posters, with The Notebook.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#42THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:33pm

I love Ingrid so I’m looking forward to this. It’s just curious to me that they swap the race of the older couple. Isn’t that confusing to the audience. Won’t many initially think these are different characters? 

I know many people who saw this in Chicago and thought it was mediocre. I’m still interested because I love Ingrid’s music. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#43THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 3:53pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I love Ingrid so I’m looking forward to this. It’s just curious to me that they swap the race of the older couple. Isn’t that confusing to the audience. Won’t many initially think these are different characters?

I know many people who saw this in Chicago and thought it was mediocre. I’m still interested because I love Ingrid’s music.
"

FWIW, I saw it three times in Chicago and thought it was nearly perfect in terms of story, presentation, staging, music and cast. I’m not too much of a fan of the movie, but this musical is not based on the movie and has very little similarity. The race of the actors did seem odd initially, but I got over it in about 10 minutes. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#44THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 4:48pm

Menken Fan said: "Bettyboy72 said: "I love Ingrid so I’m looking forward to this. It’s just curious to me that they swap the race of the older couple. Isn’t that confusing to the audience. Won’t many initially think these are different characters?

"

FWIW, I saw it three times in Chicago and thought it was nearly perfect in terms of story, presentation, staging, music and cast. I’m not too much of a fan of the movie, but this musical is not based on the movie and has very little similarity. The race of the actors did seem odd initially, but I got over it in about 10 minutes.
"

A friend shared the same with me on the race issue yet Plunkett shines and the Woods girl is pretty good. Musical was nothing special a bit tedious and that the music is a snoozefest. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#45THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 5:18pm

Honestly I didn't really think about the race thing one time? So I guess that's good.

starlightlocamotion
#46THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 6:23pm

Saw the matinee. Standing ovation before the finale was over. It was breathtaking. A marvel of direction. Just full body chills at so many moments throughout. I will say the score is somewhat repetitive in that every song sounds the same. HOWEVER ... it totally works and the music is quite beautiful. I would be shocked if this doesn't take best musical. Unless HK or Suffs becomes a surprise hit of the season. So many sniffles in the audience. 

Joy Woods is unmatched. But truly thought the whole company was stellar.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#47THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/11/24 at 11:59pm

Went to the evening show tonight.

I have never seen the movie (*gasp*) but I was vaguely familiar with the source material so I could approach it with mostly fresh eyes.

I actually found it to be a very moving show and I admittedly cried a few times at certain moments. The cast is unilaterally stellar, and my main quibbles were with the score (some of the songs sounds either superfluous or repetitive in theme) and the pacing of the show - the different aged versions of the characters don’t effortlessly slide in and out of the narrative just yet - but will with time. Other than that, I found my very cynical heart pleasantly warmed.

I’d be shocked if Plunkett and Woods didn’t make it into the Tonys race.

Also, not sure if this was luck or not, but I asked about rush an hour before doors and got Orch E2, which was 4th row. The view was PERFECT

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 11:59 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#48THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 1:55am

When is Michael griefs direction actually good?  Rent was 28 years ago folks. If/then was horrible, wine and roses the staging was terrible, war paint was clunky, Evan Hansen was just fine. Theres a reason he’s never won a Tony…

binau Profile Photo
binau
#49THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 2:30am

Broadway Flash said: "When is Michael griefs direction actually good? Rent was 28 years ago folks. If/then was horrible, wine and roses the staging was terrible, war paint was clunky, Evan Hansen was just fine. Theres a reason he’s never won a Tony…"

I think the strength of his direction is in his ability to work with the authors and shape the material (next to normal, dear Evan Hansen) and the performances (rent, dear Evan Hansen, next to normal, if/then, war paint, far from heaven, days of wine and roses etc). I don’t think he just got lucky here - and people such as Alice Ripley have been clear their performance was tightly directed by Michael Greif. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Latest Posts