The Drama Desk Awards 2024

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 2/5/24 at 4:39pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/68th-Annual-Drama-Desk-Awards-to-be-Held-in-June-Nominations-to-be-Revealed-in-April-20240205

The 68th Annual Drama Desk Awards will be presented on Monday, June 10, 2024.

The Drama Desk Awards are the only major New York City theater honors for which productions on Broadway, Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway compete against each other in the same categories.

To be eligible for consideration for Drama Desk Awards this season, productions must open no later than Thursday, April 25, 2024. The nominations will be announced on Monday, April 29. Details and venues will be announced in the coming months.

As was the case last year, all performance categories will be gender-neutral and they are: Outstanding Leading Performance in a Play, Outstanding Leading Performance in a Musical, Outstanding Featured Performance in a Play, and Outstanding Featured Performance in a Musical. 

Each of these categories has twice as many nominees as the former gendered categories and voters will cast two votes for each category. These categories will also have two winners each. If there is a tie, there may be more than two winners in a category.

Staci Levine will produce this year’s ceremony, as she did last year.

NativeNYer2
#2The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 2/10/24 at 3:16am

I find the Drama Desks exciting because they celebrate off-broadway as well and they are much harder to predict.

Does anyone have any ideas what off-Broadway shows could be favored to be nominated or win for various categories?

I assumed Rob Madge would win for Best Solo Performance. Any idea who might take that now?  Perhaps Patrick Page?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 7:30pm

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Wig and Hair Design goes to Nikiya Mathis, Jaja’s African Hair Braiding, Manhattan Theatre Club #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Puppetry goes to Ray Wetmore, JR Goodman, and Camille Labarre, Water for Elephants #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Unique Theatrical Experience goes to Grenfell: in the words of survivors, St. Ann’s Warehouse, National Theatre, and KPPL Productions #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Solo Performance goes to Patrick Page, All the Devils Are Here: How Shakespeare Invented the Villain #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Costume Design of a Play goes to Enver Chakartash, Stereophonic, Playwrights Horizons #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Costume Design of a Musical goes to Paul Tazewell, Suffs #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Scenic Design of a Play goes to David Zinn, Stereophonic, Playwrights Horizons #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Scenic Design of a Musical goes to Paul Tate dePoo III, The Great Gatsby #DramaDeskAwards

The 2024 Drama Desk for Outstanding Revue goes to Amid Falling Walls, National Yiddish Theatre Folksbiene #DramaDeskAwards

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#4The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:06pm

Well that doesn’t help me make a decision on Kelli v Maleah… they both won (and Brian D’Arcy James!)

steve.sometime
#5The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:07pm

Outstanding Lead Performance in a Play
Jessica Lange, Mother Play
Sarah Paulson, Appropriate

Outstanding Lead Performance in a Musical
Brian d’Arcy James, Days of Wine and Roses
Maleah Joi Moon, Hell’s Kitchen
Kelli O’Hara, Days of Wine and Roses

Outstanding Featured Performance in a Play
Celia Keenan-Bolger, Mother Play
Kara Young, Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch

Outstanding Featured Performance in a Musical
Kecia Lewis, Hell’s Kitchen
Bebe Neuwirth, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club

Outstanding Direction of a Play
Daniel Aukin, Stereophonic

Outstanding Direction of a Musical
Jessica Stone, Water for Elephants

Outstanding Choreography
Justin Peck, Illinoise

Outstanding Music
Shaina Taub, Suffs

Outstanding Lyrics
David Yazbek and Erik Della Penna, Dead Outlaw

Outstanding Book of a Musical
Itamar Moses, Dead Outlaw

Outstanding Orchestrations
Marco Paguia, Buena Vista Social Club

Outstanding Music in a Play
Will Butler, Stereophonic

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 09:07 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:12pm

I feel a bit more confident now that Kara Young will win featured actress in a play over Pidgeon. 

Oh look, a bibu!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:13pm

I don't really remember these awards having multiple ties in different categories, especially three way ties, is that common? 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

steve.sometime
#8The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:26pm

Outstanding Play
Stereophonic, by David Adjmi

Outstanding Musical
Dead Outlaw

Outstanding Revival of a Play
Appropriate

Outstanding Revival of a Musical
I Can Get It for You Wholesale

Dreamboy3
#9The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:34pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I feel a bit more confident now that Kara Young will win featured actress in a play over Pidgeon."

She wasn’t competing against Pigeon. The entire cast of Stereophonic got an award and weren’t individually nominated. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:38pm

Dreamboy3 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I feel a bit more confident now that Kara Young will win featured actress in a play over Pidgeon."

She wasn’t competing against Pigeon. The entire cast of Stereophonic got an award and weren’t individually nominated.
"

Young also bested Pidgeon at the OCCs and has the potential "third time's a charm" narrative, as she just became the first Black performer to garner a nomination in 3 straight years. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dreamboy3
#11The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:42pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Dreamboy3 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I feel a bit more confident now that Kara Young will win featured actress in a play over Pidgeon."

"

Young also bestedPidgeon at the OCCs and has the potential "third time's a charm" narrative, as she just became the first Black performer to garner a nominationin 3 straight years.
"

She was great. So was Sarah Pigeon. But my point was that the outcome of the Drama Desk award has no bearing on the outcome of the Tony Award because they weren’t up against each other. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#12The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:43pm

I know the the Drama Desks are not a reliable precursor but this just makes me think Best Musical continues to be wide open. Suffs won Music (and costumes?), Hells Kitchen won Lead, Illinoise won Choreography, Water For Elephants won Direction. None of them won Musical. It's still anyone's game.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#13The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:58pm

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 09:58 PM

DCS
#14The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 10:22pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Shocked Stone won Direction. The choreography/movement/circus of the show is the star. The direction is weak on Elephants. That should have gone to Taymor or Cromer.

The DD always have some odd nominations and a few odd wins. Stone being one.

Jessica Stone also won the Outer Critics Circle award this season for Direction of a Musical -- I would hardly call her Drama Desk win odd.

MemorableUserName
#15The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 10:41pm

It's a musical with a middling book and score. The only reason the whole comes together nearly as well as it does is due to the direction, her vision pulling together the acrobatics, the choreography, and the stage elements to keep the whole thing afloat. I know Stone's unlikely to beat Friedman at the Tonys, but I would love to see it happen, and it's great that multiple groups have recognized her.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#16The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:25pm

blaxx said: "I don't really remember these awards having multiple ties in different categories, especially three way ties, is that common?"

I think since the categories are not gender specific, they choose two winners from the nominees. In the case of three winners, I would assume there's a tie. Interesting to note that Brian is the only male-identifying actor to win a performance award. 

Voter
#17The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:38pm

So I guess Dead Outlaw is transferring? 2026 season?

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#18The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 12:00am

I know the acting categories are non-gender specific, but I see no point in having two winners.  If one winner gets more than 90% of votes, the runner-up still gets an award?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#19The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 12:34am

bwaylyric said: "I know the acting categories are non-gender specific, but I see no point in having two winners. If one winner gets more than 90% of votes, the runner-up still gets an award?"

I really hate the two winner thing too. I don't care if it's divided up by gender or not but a division of some sort is so much better than two winners in a category. Just my personal opinion. I hope the Tonys don't go in this direction.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#20The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 6:23am

bwaylyric said: "I know the acting categories are non-gender specific, but I see no point in having two winners. If one winner gets more than 90% of votes, the runner-up still gets an award?"

I think one category should only have multiple winners if it was either a team effort or a tie.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 10:34am

Voter said: "So I guess Dead Outlaw is transferring? 2026 season?"

I don't think they'd want to wait 2 years to transfer- it would totally sap the momentum they have now.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#22The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:13am

Dear Audible, please use this momentum to release the Dead Outlaw cast recording sooner than later. Updated On: 6/11/24 at 11:13 AM

chrishuyen
#23The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:19am

I've heard they're tied up in a bit of red tape with Audible for the Broadway transfer, so that's been an ongoing process.  I do hope that if it transfers to Broadway they restage some of it because it did feel a bit like it was staged with the end goal of it being an audio musical.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:21am

Voter said: "So I guess Dead Outlaw is transferring? 2026 season?"

Take with a grain of salt but based on what I've heard - Sonia Friedman and Lia Vollak (MJ) have picked up DEAD OUTLAW and very much want to get it to Broadway THIS season in a sub-1100-seat house. 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#25The Drama Desk Awards 2024
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:59am

I have mixed feelings about a potential Dead Outlaw transfer but trust Cromer and company can make this work. I'd hate for this to go the way of a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. Updated On: 6/11/24 at 11:59 AM

Videos