pixeltracker

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:19pm

Performers for the 77th Annual Tony Awards have been announced! The ceremony will feature showstopping performances from the casts of Tony Award nominated best musicals and revivals, including:

-Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club with nominees Gayle Rankin and Eddie Redmayne

-Hell’s Kitchen featuring the music of producer Alicia Keys, with nominees Shoshana BeanBrandon Victor DixonKecia Lewis and Maleah Joi Moon

-Illinoise, featuring the music of Sufjan Stevens, directed and choreographed by Justin Peck

-Merrily We Roll Along, a Stephen Sondheim classic with nominees Jonathan GroffLindsay Mendez and Daniel Radcliffe

-Suffs, a new musical whose producers include Hillary Clinton, with nominees Nikki M. James and Shaina Taub

-The Outsiders, based on the book and the film, whose producers include Angelina Jolie, with nominees Joshua BooneBrody Grant and Sky Lakota-Lynch

-The Who’s Tommy featuring music of Pete Townsend and The Who

-Water for Elephants, based on the bestselling book and film, featuring Grant Gustin and the astonishing acrobatic cast

Missing from the list is a performance from Gutenberg! The Musical!, which concluded its Broadway run on January 28.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:23pm

I don’t think anything’s been formally announced by the Tony Awards yet, but we should get an official list of presenters and performers a few days before the ceremony. 

Oh look, a bibu!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:25pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I don’t think anything’s been formally announced by the Tony Awards yet, but we should get an official list of presenters and performers a few days before the ceremony."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Find-Out-Who-Will-Perform-at-the-2024-Tony-Awards-20240606

https://www.thewrap.com/2024-tony-award-performances-cbs-paramount-plus/

Updated On: 6/6/24 at 12:25 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:26pm

NVM that, then! Can’t wait to watch them all in action. 

Oh look, a bibu!

steve.sometime
#5Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:33pm

The playbill article says more performances could be added. I'd really love to see Days of Wine and Roses and Stereophonic perform.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#6Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:41pm

David Adjmi just confirmed on Twitter Stereophonic is not performing: "We wanted to perform but they weren’t into it. We tried!"

That was the show performance I was most looking forward to.  

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#7Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:54pm

I saw a commerical last week that heavily featured Back to the Future, so I'm a little surprised they aren't performing. I presume maybe they'll be one of the added performances. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:57pm

Someone at “Illinoise” told me they’ll be doing one song and not a medley of any kind. The show was deciding between two, when they told me. 

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#9Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:59pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "I saw a commerical last week that heavily featured Back to the Future, so I'm a little surprised they aren't performing. I presume maybe they'll be one of the added performances."

The songs aren't really the selling point of the show. It was the one show from the season I was most confused why they made it a musical. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#10Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:02pm

^I enjoy the music from it, but it's definitely not the strongest score. I'm just surprised they'd feature it in a commerical and not have them perform. Especially since the tour is launching in the next few weeks. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

yyys
#11Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:06pm

Not surprised at it is not Tony nominated for best musical.

ClumsyDude15 said: "I saw a commerical last week that heavily featured Back to the Future, so I'm a little surprised they aren't performing. I presume maybe they'll be one of the added performances."

BroadwayAndSports
#12Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Someone at “Illinoise” told me they’ll be doing one song and not a medley of any kind. The show wasdeciding between two, when they told me."

They really should do Chicago

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#13Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:36pm

Agreed Illinoise should do Chicago. Man of Steel would be a good choice too. They’re both impressive but not the climax of the show, leaving the audience wanting more. 

hearthemsing22
#14Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:41pm

I was also extremely surprised to see Stereophonic missing from that list! 

Jordan Catalano
#15Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:50pm

The announcement does say "including" and then the list so who knows what else will be in there. As for "Stereophonic", can't any show perform if they pay? I've actually always been a bit confused by that. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 1:59pm

I believe somebody on another thread said that CBS is being strict with the broadcast's length and that's why only the nominated musicals are performing.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#17Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:07pm

I've said it before, but Man of Steel is still my choice for Illinoise. People will love the "cape" moment, it has a positive message, and it's a connection to something they already know. I think Outsiders will do Great Expectations, Merrily will do Old Friends, Cabaret will do Wilkommen, and Hell's Kitchen will do a medley of Kaleidoscope and Fallin' (which many of us agree has a terrible arrangement). 

Jordan Catalano
#18Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:11pm

See, I couldn't imagine "Hells Kitchen" not doing at least part of the Finale. It gives nothing away and it's the song everyone knows is there. 

Yessica Haircut
#19Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:40pm

My personal predictions now that I've seen all the nominees and we know (so far) what is performing:

• Cabaret: At least a little bit of 'Wilkomenn' going into 'Cabaret'
  • Hell's Kitchen: Possibly 'Kaleidoscope', but I really could see them going with 'Empire State of Mind' (for obvious reasons); however, if they don't do 'Empire State of Mind' for their performance and the show wins Best Musical, I could see them possibly closing the ceremony with that number (kind of like when Memphis won Best Musical in 2010)
  • Illinoise: Probably 'Man of Steel' rather than 'Chicago'
  • Merrily We Roll Along: 'Old Friends' would be the most obvious choice
  • Suffs: 'The March' if they want to showcase the entire company, but I could conceivably see them going for 'Wait My Turn'
  • The Outsiders: 'Great Expectations' (or possibly 'Death's At My Door' if that doesn't give too much away) if they wanted to show off the score, but possibly 'Grease Got A Hold' if they want to showcase some choreography as well
  • The Who's Tommy: Still think it will be some kind of medley, perhaps 'Pinball Wizard' going into 'I'm Free'
  • Water for Elephants: 'The Road Don't Make You Young' (no doubt they want to show off some of the circus tricks)

Additionally, while it's not going to hurt any of its chances, count me in as disappointed that Stereophonic wasn't allowed to perform.

Updated On: 6/6/24 at 02:40 PM

berniesb!tch
#20Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 3:34pm

David Adjmi tweeted they wanted perform but CBS "wasn't into it". SO STUPID!! 

BentleyB
#21Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 4:04pm

Let’s bet that Pete Townshend shows up on stage for Tommy’s performance to give the impression he is in the show.   

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#22Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:04pm

Ugh, so annoying that Stereophonic wasn't allowed to perform. IF they deny a Best Play nominee and then go and let something like Back to the Future or Gatsby have a number despite not being nominated in a top category...that's crazy. Plays always get less air time at the Tonys, so its very disappointing when we have one that has excerptable material yet it isn't allowed to be showcased. I guess I'll just listen to Masquerade for the 999th time on Spotify then...

willep
#23Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:07pm

Heck, why not listen once more and make it an even 1000?

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#24Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:18pm

I get that these shows run long, but Stereophonic not being allowed to perform is ridiculous. It’s the most Tony nominated play of all time, and in terms of acclaim, it leaves every nominated musical this year but Merrily We Roll Along in the dust. The Tonys being unwilling to spotlight a number from a show that’s considered a genuine contender to win Best Original Score is just dumb.

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#25Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 5:26am

Jonathan Cohen said: "Back to the Future was the one show from the season I was most confused why they made it a musical."

Because the original is a larger than life story and musicals are larger than life.  Plus Bob Gale said he wanted it to feel like an alternate universe telling of the story.  He wanted to give it a different spin.  It's a shame that the new songs aren't popular, but just as with Eurovision, it's almost impossible to tell which songs are going to take off until they are put out into the world.

Videos