RIP Jonathan Larson

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#0RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:34am

Now I know that not everybody on this board is a Rent or TTB fan, but tomorrow (or today depending on where you live) is the 9 year anniversary of his death. There was a post Anthony Rapp made here on BWW a couple of weeks ago. This is a bit from it:

"It is such a cruel irony that he was gone right at the cusp of his life changing forever, after he gave so much of his life to his work. But his legacy will certainly live forever in people's hearts and memories."

Honestly, I don't think truer words have ever been spoken. I never knew him, but I feel deeply blessed to have discovered his work and to call myself a fan.

Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:54am

There's another thread on this, but it's important enough that we can have two.

re: RIP Jonathan Larson

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#2re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:56am

He is truly missed. Here's the other link if people would like to read.
Jonathan

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#3re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:58am

Jonathan Larson is the reason I discovered musical theatre. Thank you, Jonathan.

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#4re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:07am

Amen. I'd like to think that, wherever he is, he knows how many hearts his work has touched.

I met his father once after a performance of TTB, and sputtered, "You must be so proud of him!" He smiled patiently at me, and said, "Everyday I find something new to be proud of him for."

Thanks for all the music, Jonathan. You should have had many years to create much more, but we can at least be grateful for what you've left us...

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

thespian geek
#5re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:11am

I looked and didn't see the other thread. Sorry, guys. re: RIP Jonathan Larson

"I met his father once after a performance of TTB, and sputtered, "You must be so proud of him!" He smiled patiently at me, and said, "Everyday I find something new to be proud of him for."

Al was in St. Louis the weekend the current Rent tour was there, and I was there too, and I can definitely tell you it was obvious the cast was putting out 200%. I'd never cried so much in my life. I'm sad I didn't get to meet him though - it would have been such an honor.

LoudIrishGirl
#6re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:20am

To the memory of a great man, and to the loss of everything else he could have given us.

RENT has had a big influence on my life, and I know that it has had a similar impact on so many people, and for that I know he will always be remembered well. I will definitly be listening to the CD all day.

Peace, Jonathan, and thanks.

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

karlean7 Profile Photo
karlean7
#7re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:25am

re: RIP Jonathan Larson

thespian geek
#8re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:37am

That's a beautiful banner. Thank you for sharing it.

dancindramadude Profile Photo
dancindramadude
#9re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:56am

I agree that it is such a shame that such a talented young man passed away. His works have affected many people. RENT is one of few shows that I actually cry when I listen to the cast recording. You are missed by many

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:58am

re: RIP Jonathan Larson Updated On: 1/25/05 at 01:58 AM

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#11re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:10am

Although he only created two very successful shows, I still consider him one of the most important broadway composers because he truly did revolutionize the sound and style of broadway. "measure your life in love"

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#12re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:28am

9 years my god. He was a genious and he turned my life around. Like other generations grew up with the Brady Bunch, I grew up with RENT. It really did change my life. Thank you Jonathan Larson

FabalaCohen
#13re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:40am

A sad reminder of how short our lives can be and that there is truly "no day but today."

I wasn't a huge fan of musical theatre until discovering "Rent" three years ago. Jonathon's work opened me to new shows and has had a heavy influence on me ever since.

Rest in peace, Jonathon. Your work and influence will live forever.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

brandonm
#14re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:54am

How did he die?

"Let the little girl go, and that poor little dog? Dodo." That's my favorite line in the whole show (Wicked). My next favorite line is "Oh! It seems the artichoke is steamed."

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#15re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:56am

excuse my spelling please but, he had an aortic Anyrism. I can not spell that at all I dont care it's very sad. He was told he had the flu/food poisoning by 2 different nyc hospitals.

ReNtHeAd04
#16re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:06am

“It's not how many years you live, but how you fulfill the time you spend here.” - Jonathan Larson

You will always be missed. Thank you for such a wonderful piece of art.

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#17re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:15am

RENT really did bring theatre to a whole new generation. As well as transforming the art of the American Musical.
Jonathan Larson, thank you for changing so many lives.
And let's be happy that so many people are remembering him and honoring him today... not sad. re: RIP Jonathan Larson

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#18re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:24am

the Aortic Aneurysm was believed by many to be linked to Marfan Syndrome (also had by Abraham Lincoln).

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#19re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:36am

RENT helped me get through a lot of tough times. Thanks Jonathan....

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

Christopher_Acts Profile Photo
Christopher_Acts
#20re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:27pm

I feel sort of honored...

I'm seeing RENT for the very first time tonight,

On the anniversary of Jonathan Larson's death..

I'm expecting a very chilling performance tonight at the Masonic Temple.

thespian geek
#21re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:26pm

"I'm expecting a very chilling performance tonight at the Masonic Temple."

The touring cast will probably be in top-notch form for tonight's show. :) I hope what you're expecting is what you get - I wouldn't want it any other way for you. Should be an experience to remember.

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#22re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:32pm

Rest peacefully Jonathan! You were a huge inspiration to many, and you forever will be...

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#23re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:38pm

I was lucky enough to see the original cast, as well as seeing them at the emotional state they were in with Jonathan's death. I felt for every performer in that show. At the same time, the show touched me in ways that musical theatre never had before. Listening to the lyrics, I find Rent to be so ironically written, considering it practically forshadowed his own demise. Also, I find the show extremely relative to my life in more ways than you could possibly know.
Thank you Jonathan for giving me something comforting to listen to when I found tragedy in my own personal life.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

BroadwayBaby21
#24re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:47pm

RIP Jonathan. You are truly missed in Broadway theatre.

Sadly, i've never seen Rent of TTB performed live, but I listen to the OBCs all the time and truly love both shows. I'm so happy that he made these shows, for they truly are two of my favorites. He definately is missed.

-If you don't like your fate, change it. You are your own master.- Aida

Videos