News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Your First Theater Experience

#0Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:30pm

What was you're first theater experience either seeing a show or being in on?

Seeing One- I was 10 and my aunt took me to see Beauty and The Beast with Andrea Mcartle as Belle, I was lost in all the music and sets and amazing dancing and fun going on... it mezmerized me and made me wanna do that one day...

Being in One- I was 13 and I got a supporting lead as Morchada the Innkeeper in Fiddler On The Roof in my middle school's production. I was so sore from doing the Tradition dance but it was all worth it... I'm hooked on the score from Fiddler now.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:33pm

Seeing One-I saw Beauty and the Beast when I was 3 and left at intermission.
Being in One-Annie Get Your Gun when I was 12 as Pawnee Jill/Eagle Feather. It was a lot of fun. I had also been in hoiliday plays at my school and for two years, I got my own song. Updated On: 3/7/05 at 06:33 PM

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#2re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:38pm

Seeing one: I saw The Wizard of Oz at Sacramento Music Circus with Cathy Rigby (her theatrical debut, btw). I think was maybe 6 or 7 years old.

Being in one: Officially, I had a part in a 4th grade play about PT Barnum. But I consider my first real exerience playing The Duke in Merchant of Venice in high school. A friend of mine was in the show and they had a few people drop out. He asked me if I would be interested, and the rest is history.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#3re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:40pm

Seeing one- umm December, Beauty and the Beast

Being in one- the 5th grade, I was a bird in this tribal tales thing

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

thebestshowshavetransvestites Profile Photo
thebestshowshavetransvestites
#4re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:40pm

Seeing One - Cats - First on video (sparking my wish to ditch my CP and become an actress) and then on B'way not much later.

In one - a high school's production of Oliver, at twelve years old. (They wanted the extras from elementary schools.) I was a Fagin's Boy.

So let the party and the sounds rock on, I'm gonna shake it till the life has gone, gone, gone - rose tints my world and keeps me safe from my trouble and pain!
Updated On: 3/7/05 at 06:40 PM

elphieisperky
#5re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:55pm

Seeing one- Peter Pan

Being in one- Honk at my theatre place. I was Lowbutt.

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#6re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:56pm

seeing one on broadway - Beauty and the Beast i was 9.

being in one- Oliver I was in 7th grade and i played an orphan and all of us girls had to dress up as guys it was quite funny

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

ashbash6819 Profile Photo
ashbash6819
#7re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 6:57pm

Seeing one--i was 4 or 5 and i went to Disney World and they had a live performance of Beauty and the Beast and i absolutly loved it. now that i look back though i think that it was shortened but i still loved it

"Where are we headed? Judy- "Over the god-damn rainbow"- Boy from Oz

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#8re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:00pm

I saw Hairspray when I was 17 in the summer of '03. It was the most amazing experience! I loved every minute of it and have not stopped going to Broadway since.

being in one-I WISH!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#9re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:08pm

my first was peter pan. Is it me of do these threads always pop up?

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#10re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:24pm

I was 15yo and didnt come from a theatre family...so basically i didnt even know what a theatre was...so i was in Buenos Aires and there was a big fuss about the opening of the Broadway Show "Kiss of the Spider Woman" written by this argentinean writer...and something appealed to me about it.Now im a musical theatre fan...and all becuz of "Kiss.." that showed me that musical theatre is not silly or boring.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BSoBW2
#11re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:31pm

Les Mis - 5.

It is the reason I am into theatre and foreign languages.

americasinging Profile Photo
americasinging
#12re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:40pm

first show ever:Phantom of the Opera (touring company)I was eight. Can we say BEAUTIFUL!

first Broadway show: RENT (and proud of it!) I was 17

first show i was in: 7 brides 4 7 brothers (chours so it sucked)I was 16 and this was the first time I ever auditioned for anything cause I really love this show and couldn't see done and not be in it! The townspeople are really under appreciated! he he he re: Your First Theater Experience

first show with a part: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. I was 16 going on 17! I was Miss Jones, god I love that show!!! I used "When you've got it flaunt it" to audition and the choir teacher who was playing the piano was talking about me when i left the room and my friend walked in to audition while she was talking and she said "oh it just sounded like a bunch of screaming!" And my drama teacher got a smug look on his face (so i'm told) and said "well i liked it."

"I hear America singing...the checker, the trucker, the worker, the housewife..." WORKING

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:49pm

My first show on Broadway was Man of La Mancha. I had seen tours and Phantom of the Opera in Toronto before that.

The first show that I was in was the upper elementary school production of Oliver when I was in 5th grade. I was in the chorus and I also played the keyboard.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#14re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:02pm

Seeing a show..Gypsy at a theater in town. My first broadway experience was Chicago. Front row. Quite amazing.

Being in a show...I was Bunny Sue in a little play called Get Hoppin' in first grade. Hah. That was good times.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#15re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:12pm

I've had alot of little theatre experiences throughout elementary school (those little made-up shorts and christmas shows etc) but the first time I really did serious theatre was doing a production of Alice in Wonderland in the 6th Grade. The first show I saw was Cinderella at Glendale Centre Theatre when I was 5.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

ikmbway
#16re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:49pm

first show i think was lion king and i was 5 but i did see tours of little shop of horrors and joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat in kindergarten i brought the stuffed animal dog that weekend and brought it to see them but i never really cared about broadway til wicked came out!

being in one - i wish if only i could sing and could act rele well except if you count first grade i was in a show about pollution but it was based on teh little mermaid i tried out for the mermaid but i didnt get that and got to be a recycle person wit ma friend and had one speaking line Updated On: 3/7/05 at 09:49 PM

stylinbohemian
#17re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:54pm

seeing one:wow my first show was so so so vry long ago it was im prety sure bye bye birdie which i absolutely adored as a child...hey i still was a child

being in one: A Christmas Carol at a local high school i was little and played a townsperson...it was fun i was a cute little kid!

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

Bwaybaby109
#18re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:55pm

I was the radish in our kindergarten's production of Peter Rabbit! Oh yeah, I was the best radish!
My first real show was probably Peter Pan and I played Wendy at the age of 10 and I did childrens theatre shows to community theatre to high school and now college.

My first touring show was Joseph and my first bway show was Phantom.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#19re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:57pm

seeing it-Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat with donny osmond

being in one- My first grade production of "The Hat" hahaha I was the narrator!! re: Your First Theater Experience

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

msutton
#20re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:05pm

First theatre-going:
Kabuki Cinderella - Dallas Children's Theater (at 3 years old)

first being in professional theater:
Cinderalla - Dallas Children's Theater (at 8 years old)

odd coincidence... i'd never thought of that before. actually that Kabuki show may have been Snow White, I can't really remember, but it freaked the **** out of me and my dad had to take me out of the theatre.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#21re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:07pm

Seeing One: The Wiz the 1997 Tour Cast

Being in One: Bye, Bye Birde and I was Harry MacaFee and I had so much fun and I loved doing it.

Facebook...ME !!!

actorgirl_21 Profile Photo
actorgirl_21
#22re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:09pm

The first I ever saw was Rent, I was 17...
The first show I was in was Joseph, I was in the children's chorus when I was 9

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#23re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:13pm

Seeing one- My sister taking me to see Joseph and the amazing... yeah. I loved every minute of it, it's something I'll never forget. It was in first grade so I took all my souveneirs in for show and tell.

Being in one- I was in the Tales of Beatrix Potter for my first musical. It was in first grade. It really sparked my theatre interest. The director that saw something in me there and I have been close for eight years. I've starred in a musical at that theatre for eight years. Sometimes two.

First high school
I auditioned for Marta in third grade, and I got it! It was cool because my older sister was the lead nun and it was somethign I could enjoy with her.

rockfenris2005
#24re: Your First Theater Experience
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:19pm

I was 15yo and didnt come from a theatre family...so basically i didnt even know what a theatre was...so i was in Buenos Aires and there was a big fuss about the opening of the Broadway Show "Kiss of the Spider Woman" written by this argentinean writer...and something appealed to me about it.Now im a musical theatre fan...and all becuz of "Kiss.." that showed me that musical theatre is not silly or boring.

So this was your first experience? Wow - if it was. That musical is incredible. Kander and Ebb are absolute legend :)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Videos