pixeltracker

What's your job? What's your passion?

What's your job? What's your passion?

shameless Profile Photo
shameless
#0What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:14pm

My job: I make a living doing the billing for my family's marine diesel engine repair company in Florida.

My passion: writing - short stories, fiction, on message boards, etc.

Also, books, music and I've pretty much been obsessed with broadway since I saw Aida on tour two years ago. I'm a late-bloomer, I know :).

Oh, I almost forgot, I wanted to know if any of you are actively pursuing a career on broadway. Are you living in NY and auditioning?
----------------------------
Hi Everybody,

I lost track of my thread over the weekend because I was in the Bahamas for Easter (sucks for me, I know).

Anyway, thanks to all of you who responded. I just finished reading all of your posts, very impressive. We have lots of talent and ambition on these boards.

It's funny that so many of you only post from home because I'm the opposite, I only post from work. I guess the rest of BWW are actually working while on the clock ... oops. Plus, I'm on this computer from 8-5, so I don't even want to see my computer when I get home.

Another thing that cracked me up was how almost all of the people who listed writing or journalism as jobs, also listed at least one other job, because the money is so so bad. I can relate, and that's exactly why I'm no longer putting my journalism degree to good use.

To all the youngsters, you know who you are, I'm so impressed with how driven you all are. I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do until I was 23, and then I ended up doing something else anyway. If you know what you want, you're already ahead of the game, so just keep working. You definitely seem to have the confidence.

Some of you have very admirable jobs/passions, so I'm calling you out. Sweetiedarlinmia and Uncageg both work with programs that expose kids, especially minorities, to theater; Chlydomnestra is a child and youth case manager for an outpatient mental health facility, and JHartnow works with Broadway Cares/Equity fights Aids. Just wanted you to know, I think you guys rock.

Also, two people were cool enough to tell us about their stage experience.

"I am just a dumb dancer, it's not brain surgery but I enjoy it" --Di2
Ok, Di2, I mean this in the nicest possible way. SHUT UP! All the kids who posted in this thread would kill to have your resume someday, and most of us sitting at our boring desk jobs too, for that matter. I'm sure you worked your ass off to get where you are, so don't downplay the acheivement, ok? LOL

And Natalie 2 (very cool) - Would I have seen you in 42nd Street at the Broward Center in Ft. Lauderdale near the end of last year?

Oh, and how could I forget, if any of you are near JFK anytime soon, you have to catch Dollypop's show:)!

Alright, I think I typed enough for a week.

Thanks again,
Gina

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
Updated On: 3/29/05 at 02:14 PM

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#1re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:19pm

10th grade Student who wants to do SOMETHING theatre related..either on the stage, in the wings, part of production, an usher! anything that'll revolve around broadway!! or nyc!!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:22pm

Job- High School Senior (47 more school days) who works as an actor when I can and a waiter when I must.

Passion-Performing and directing.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

mirramar
#3re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:25pm

I'm a graphic Designer in NYC.

My passion: everything theater related, my goal is to see every show as it comes out.
Updated On: 3/23/05 at 02:25 PM

BwayTheatre11
#4re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:27pm

Job: High school student

Passion: Lighting designer, or a master electrician (on tour).

CCM '10!
Updated On: 3/23/05 at 02:27 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#5re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:34pm

personal trainer-front desk clerk-student in ft laud FL

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#6re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:34pm

Job: Associate Marketing Analyst at RR Donnelley in New York City. LOVE my job...couldn't be happier.

Passion: Broadway. I plan on seeing every new musical and revival that ever comes out on broadway for the rest of my life.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#7re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:40pm

job(s) - college senior, lifeguard, after-school program/camp counselor

passion - theatre...REALLY looking to be on stage, but willing to work in any aspect of it.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#8re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 2:45pm

I sell reference books/eBooks to school libraries in Hawaii and Southern California.......

passion: Travel, Bavarian/Austrian history, Musical Theater

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#9re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:19pm

I'm currently unemployed, and so my job AND my passion is working on my book to get music ready to audition with. Thats about it right now.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#10re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:24pm

Engineer working for a defense company in NJ.

Coached girls soccer and loved it, now going to Broadway plays and Vegas!

MissMonika Profile Photo
MissMonika
#11re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:29pm

occupation: High School senior soon to be College freshman. I will go to CSULB to major in nursing and minor in music. might change because i'm thinking about pursing musical theater as a career. i'm not too sure yet.

passion: Singing! I love being in choir. Reading, drawing, swimming (waterpolo), and the Internet (how could I survive without it?)

Yes, I'm pinay. And I'm proud of it!

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#12re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:32pm

I am blessed to have a job about which I am passionate. I am the Assistant to the Dean and Senior Pastor of the world's largest liberal Christian church with a predominantly lesbian, gay and transgender outreach.

That said, my passion is, of course, theater.

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#13re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:35pm

right now: I am a student, but I plan on possibly majoring in political science {with a minor in musical theatre} and then going to law school in NYC. I am a part of a ton of extracurriculars... and I plan to be a camp counselor this summer.

passion: musical theatre, singing in choirs, photography, Latin... ect.

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#14re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:40pm

job...library and grocery store/student
passion...business management for broadway

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#15re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 3:48pm

I'm a travel agent.

My passions are musical theatre, singing, travelling, reading fiction and eating great food.

cur10call
#16re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 5:44pm

Job: I travel around the country teaching and doing choreography for high school and college cheerleading and dance teams.

Passion: Musical Theater

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#17re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 5:47pm

Job: Father

Passion: Journalism and Writing

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 5:50pm

Job: College student.

Passion: THEATRE...anything and everything about it. I WILL work in theatre...it all just depends on when...but it WILL happen.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 3/23/05 at 05:50 PM

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#19re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 6:42pm

job- senior in high school baby!!!!!! graduation is so close yet so far!!!!! I am very undecided about what i want to do with my life!!

passion- theater, photography, part time music snob!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#20re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 6:45pm

Job: Acting major

Passion: Acting, singing, writing (screenplays), or directing

bwayballerina
#21re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 6:48pm

job- high school student... i also babysit and hope to start working at my dance studio this summer! i'm undecided about what i want to do in college, but i've been thinking about linguistics, international relations and of course dance/theatre.

passion- dance, broadway/musical theatre, reading, foreign languages

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#22re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 6:58pm

Job: English and Music Major

Passion: The performing arts, dramaturgy, bringing theatre to "minority" youth who have been pegged as "unteachable & unreachable"

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#23re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 7:03pm

Must be because it's still daylight (at least here in L.A) because so far most who've responded have been students. Everyone else at work?
As to me:
JOB: I've been teaching English as a Second Language since a few months after my UCLA graduation, first abroad and since then at Cal State LA (that's where my screen name eslgrre: What's your job?  What's your passion? comes from.
PASSION: Theater, both onstage and off. In 2004 I saw 120 productions and appeared in 3. Since traveling to New York last year, I've become musical obsessed (shades of my childhood) and have been scouring all the local libraries (luckily there are many many in this area) to add to my collection of now hundreds of cast recordings.

#24re: What's your job? What's your passion?
Posted: 3/23/05 at 7:05pm

job: webmaster / graphic design work

passion: art