LSOH Original Film Ending

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#0LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:26pm

Okay, I know this has been touched on may times, but I'm going to bring it up again.

Does ANYONE have a copy of the original film ending? I have been looking for one for years, and at this point, I'm willing to spend money. I just finished reading a back issue of a special effects magazine that goes into great detail about it as well as some pictures I hadn't seen yet. Frank Oz says he wishes there was a re-release of the film with the original ending, so I've always wondered why they never included it with any of the DVD versions.

So, any help you can give me would be great!

Thanks

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#1re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:34pm

I have it on dvd..

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#2re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:35pm

All I know is when the DVD got first released they included a rough cut of the original ending on the special features. But the studio pulled all the copys of it after they caught wind of it. The studio did not want the original ending included because they were the ones who requested the new ending and didn't want the original seen. A few copys of the dvd did get out there though and sold before all could be recalled. You might be able to find it on ebay or floating around on a bit torrent site or Kazza or something. I had it on my computer a couple years ago but is long since gone. As far as a finished clean print with the original ending attached, I don't think it exsists.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#3re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:11pm

Carl, that's almost true. The studio (Warner Bros.) weren't the ones to demand a recall on the original Little Shop Special Edition DVD. It was actually David Geffen who demanded all copies be pulled because he wasn't consulted.

The original ending of the film wasn't changed because the studio didn't like it. It was changed because in test screenings the ending got low scores and many audience members were put off that Seymour and Audrey died so the studio then went and re-shot a new ending.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#4re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:18pm

I have it on DVD, too. It's really interesting and, personally, I prefer the original ending. It more matches the original source material (e.g., B-grade horror film and stage musical). It's kind of funny seeing Audrey II stomping through cities (like King Kong or Godzilla) destroying things. Also, I kind of like seeing this section in B&W. It definitely gives it a differnt feeling.

". . . POP . . ."

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#5re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:22pm

Yeah, I've seen the original movie ending. It's in black and white and the special effects are actually really cool. It's too bad they spent all that money and no one can see it.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#6re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:40pm

I read somewhere that when they went back in to re-film the new ending, they couldn't find one of the urchins so they had to film it with a stand-in and in some parts there are only 2. Actually, now that I think about it, that was in the "Making of Little Shop" special feature on the DVD.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#7re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 3:16pm

I have the original ending on video. IMO I liked it more then the happy ending they chose.
Updated On: 4/9/05 at 03:16 PM

Caleb
#8re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 4:37pm

The original ending is currently up on the fantastic Alan Menken fansite, www.alanmenken.info , just check under the downloads section!

timote316
#9re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 4:50pm

Thanks for the link Caleb! I really like the B & W. I wish the whole movie was like that, it really adds to the feeling of the movie.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#10re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/8/05 at 5:35pm

That was so fantastic to see!!!

I always liked the movie, but that ending was so much better, and Mean Green Mother fits so much better in this context.

I hope one day they reissue it, with the original ending put back in, so you could choose to watch either ending...

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#11re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 3:25am

I'm probably the only one here who likes the "happy" ending better. Admittedly the special effects of the original ending were pretty cool and it was in keeping with the stage production. However, on film there is greater emphasis placed on sympathy for these characters and less on the overall B-movie campiness; you can't help but want to cheer for Seymour and Audrey to live happily ever after. One's sympathies are especially strong for Audrey -- it's much more devestating to see Audrey die in the film than onstage. It's also strange that there's still a good 20 minutes left of film even though er death is the emotional climax of the musical.

I hope that's coherent -- it's 3:30am and I'm coming back from a night of drunken debauchery.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#12re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 8:28am

I thought the part when the Audrey 2's were wrecking the town was too long. It just kept on going.

TheatreDiva90016
#13re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:52am

Wow! Thanks guys! I'm gonna go download it now! Now, if I can find a copy in color.....

Nice avitar Candleshoe!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#14re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 2:06pm

Thanks for the link, I've always wanted to see that! In my opinion, so much better than the new ending, even though I couldn't hear parts of it great. The whole show just leads to that direction, he made a deal with the devil so it shouldn't end happily. But I read somewhere, wasn't there supposed to be a part at the end where Seymour, Audrey, Mushnik and Orin were all little leaves on the plant? Maybe I missed that part, some of it was hard to see.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#15re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 2:09pm

Here is what I heard:
The DVD was recalled by Frank Oz because the end scene was in Black and White. He wanted to colorize it, so that is why they recalled it, and there would be a rerelease in the future once the process was done.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Mythus
#16re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 3:45pm

I doubt that, Justice. The original ending isn't even finished. Some of the special effects were never put it. They'd have to do all that before, uh, colorizing it.

andyf
#17re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 4:20pm

The original ending is HOT.

The entire last segment, with the plant overtaking the Statue of Liberty needs to be seen.

That's good that it's finally online, it took me forever to hunt down a copy.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 4/9/05 at 04:20 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#18re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 4/9/05 at 4:23pm

Well, now I can die "sorta" happy. After YEARS of waiting to see the original ending, I finally saw it today, although the quality wasn't the best. But, I DID get a feel of what they did and it was better than I could have imagined.

This is coming from someone who was given the OC Off B-Way recording in High School (Some 25 years ago) and have always loved the show. I was actually one of the geeks camping out so I could be the first to see it, when the film opened.

Thanks Caleb, for showing me the link, and thanks everyone else for rubbing it in my face that you have it on DVD (Just kidding re: LSOH Original Film Ending )

This board ROCKS!

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#19re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 1:44pm

If you missed it on Alan's Website...

CHECK OUT WHAT I FOUND

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#20re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 1:51pm

The plant overtaking the statue of liberty? I think I have a different version. Is that in the very old b&w with Jack Nicholson and Jonathan Haze?

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Buscee
#21re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:01pm

No thats the Original Version Movie, not the movie musical

Wanderingchild5 Profile Photo
Wanderingchild5
#22re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:15pm

My friends dad spent a ton of money and bought it on Ebay I think hes going to sell it again

I'm Mary ( : I <33 Anthony rapp and Kristoffer Cusick!

Kringas
#23re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:26pm

Is that in the very old b&w with Jack Nicholson and Jonathan Haze?

Yes. Ellen Greene really looks the same as she did in 1960, doesn't she?

It's in black and white cause it's a work print. The finished copied would have been cleaned up, edited, had all the sound mixed and processed in color.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#24re: LSOH Original Film Ending
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:52pm

The original ending makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Videos