Spit

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#0Spit
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:27pm

Yes, what an odd name for a board. I was wondering if anyone has noticed that Broadway performers spit..a lot. Have you noticed any one actor that sprays the audience worse than the rest. I saw Sweeney Todd a few nights ago, and Michael C. is a human fountain! The people in the front row were leaning to the side and laughing whenever he walked to the edge of the stage. He was an amazing performer, but, bring an umbrella to the show. Anyone else?

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

C is for Company
#1re: Spit
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:32pm

A lot of rent sometimes, omg John Lithgow too. But hey, I dont care, I sort of dont mind if an amazing performer spits on me. Patti can spit on me anytime!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2re: Spit
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:38pm

lol- good thinking. I noticed that with John Lithgow as well. Patti didn't seem to spit much though. I'll be sure to bring a bottle next time to see if I can catch some. lol

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#3re: Spit
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:40pm

LOL! When I saw Wicked in Chicago, Ben Vereen and Telly Leung spit a lot.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: Spit
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:44pm

They have to enunciate. A LOT. Maybe you'd rather they mumble?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Broadway_Boy
#5re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:06am

At Chitty Bang Bang Kevin Cahoon, who plays the child catcher, spit alot all over the audience when he was going up in the bag that he goes up in.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#6re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:10am

It's not as if they're doing it on purpose...I imagine it's difficult to sing and project and breathe AND try to control spitting as well. :P

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#7re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:11am

I have to say, Howard McGillin was the worst offender. Gorgeous voice, but man does he spit.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:14am

No one and I mean NO ONE beats Hugh Panaro.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#9re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:18am

My friend saw Wicked a while ago and was sitting front row. Apparently David Ayers spat a huge gob at Shoshanna in the scene right before I'm not that girl, and she actually broke down laughing.

Akiva

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#10re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:18am

YAY for spitters!!! i'm glad they do, its a sign they anunciate w/grace, perfection, and spit!!

Everyone in Caroline or Change was spitting away!

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#11re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:23am

I saw a tour of Les Mis at the Fox in Atlanta, where the stage and auditorium are HUGE. During At The End Of The Day, when the Foreman sings the line, "Who keeps herself so pure and clean", the Foreman and Fantine were standing on opposite sides of the stage. I guess he had been trying not to spit and worked up a good load, because on the word "pure" he hocked a mouthful. It flew out of his mouth and caught the light. Glistening, and with the full attention of the entire cast and audience alike, it flew the entire breadth of the stage and landed with an audible SPLAT right at Fantine's feet. No one could pretend that it hadn't happened because every head turned as it followed the arc, and after it landed Fantine just stared at it for several seconds.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#12re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:34am

omg!! really? i would've started cracking up

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#13re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:47am

It was funny, when I saw Sweeney Michael C. spit into Patti's face when he was singing. When he turned his back to her she wiped her face off.

I also noticed that Ron Bohmer(sp?) of the Woman in White is a spitter as well.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#14re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:04am

quote:
No one and I mean NO ONE beats Hugh Panaro.

Heh, I definitely agree with that. When the performer actually apologizes for spitting on you... lol

This thread reminds me of that Friends episode with Gary Oldman. Anyone seen that? Hilarious!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:06am

Not really Broadway, but Heath Ledger spits some in Brokeback Mountain. Probably not enough, though, by the look on Jake's face.

PEACE.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#16re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:18am

Hahaha!! Oh I needed that laugh. :)

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#17re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:19am

When I saw Spamalot, at the end where "King Arthur" ask "The Lady of the Lake" to marry him, Sara spit on Tim when she replied, as she yanked at the sides of her dress. They BOTH cracked up...

You know you have been to a good peformance when you are walking out and the non-theatre folk are talking about the spitting. re: Spit

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#18re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:32am

John Lithgow! Shoshana Bean! Mehan Hilty! Jennifer Laura Thompson! Oh and poor loveable Chip from Bee.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#19re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:48am

Many a Lennon cast member would spit, as do many of the Rent cast members.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#20re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:05am

Backlighting is the worst for spitters; it makes it almost glow.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

DefyingPopular
#21re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 9:41am

When George Hearn was in Wicked, he would like shower Elphaba (Idina or Shoshana) in spit.
And it reminded me of Friends also, which is when I heard it was normal and not weird...

Yankeefan007
#22re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 9:54am

Craig Bierko spit a lot during Music Man.

Tom Hewitt hit 3 people in the middle of the center orchestra with a lougie.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 11:26am

YOu haven't seen spit and drool until you see Tori Amos live. Bring an umbrella.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#24re: Spit
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:30pm

Kevin Cahoon spit on me during his final moments in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! We sat in the front row, and as sketchy as it seems, I wanted to be spit on. He was being taken away over my head and I got spit on! Updated On: 12/30/05 at 12:30 PM

Videos