I have a makeup question!!!

goodygalinda2 Profile Photo
goodygalinda2
#0I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:04am

Okay, so I just got cast as the Wicked Witch of the West( more fondly refered to as Elphaba or Fabala) in my schools production of the Wizard of Oz, and not the lame movie version this one is actually quite good and all three of my songs rock. the problem is GREEN, I would really love to know if anyone knows hoto get ahold of the same type of make up Idina used, can anybody help me? I have already done my face hands and ears in green cake make up once and for like 12 shows that will not be fun

I am the same person as the original goodygalinda, I didn't just bite her name, my email address changed,sucky

Jazzysuite82
#1re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:08am

Well I know they use specially made green make-up from MAC for Wicked. At least they did. It cleans a bit easieer. Either way it'll be a pain. I'd contact MAC to find out what the deal with it is.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#2re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:33am

It is a MAC green that goes on with water. You do that in an oil base and it will be hell.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:37am

( more fondly refered to as Elphaba or Fabala)

Why would she be referred to as Elphaba in this version if Gregory Maguire didn't make it up until years later?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#4re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:46am

"Not the lame movie version"

Now I know I have a heart, because it's breaking!

I can't believe any Wicked fan can refer to The Wizard of Oz as "lame."

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#5re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:57am

She does not paint her arms or chest, she wears a body suit. she only does her hands, face and neck.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#6re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 2:02am

Could you imagine someone doing the FULL BODY green paint, LOL! At one point If I remember they had a small airbrush paint hose backstage and were using that with Idina too. They may still use it, I don't know.
That green by MAC is the foundation, they use greens in powders and highlights too - the other 2 colors are black (eyes & brows) and a purple (shade & blend).

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

ashley0139
#7re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:34am

She does use the MAC stuff, and I think she mixes it somehow with water. But, and I don't even know if you're worried about this, that makeup is very... soft. You know, it's Elphaba makeup, where at this time she is the good guy, until almost the very end. The Wicked Witch is an almost completely different character, with much harder features and such. I almost don't know if it's the right look for the part. On the other had, green make-up is hard to come by at any time so you may just want what you can get.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#8re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 8:24am

I remember this coming up around Halloween. They said to use MAC chromacake in Landscape Green. www.maccosmetics.com

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#9re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 9:11am

The easy way to go with this one (as it is not a large scale production, I'm assuming) would be to go with the Ben Nye water based green. It comes in several different kits, washes easy, and has a semi-translucent appearance, not to mention it will probably be much easier on the skin. After you apply the makeup, use the ben nye water-based-makeup sealer (it's a pump spray, pretty cheap and very easy to use) let it dry, then accent with blue and purple powder. For arms and such, try buying green tights and experimenting with those :P

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

NJgirl
#10re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:35pm

it IS MAC chromacake (brushes on with water) in Landscape Green BUT this is a MAC PRO product and is only available at MAC PRO locations not your regular old MAC counters at the dept stores or even some of the free standing stores. Check macpro.com for locations (there IS one in NYC) bc the PRO stores are the only places you can get it. There's also a matching stick to the landscape green cake as well.
No, I haven't done the Elphaba thing...Im just a MAC cosmetics addict...lol

peach
#11re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:49pm

Lame movie version? Huh? The Wizard of Oz movie was lame? Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect differing opinions, but I've just never met anyone (ANYONE!) who thought that was a lame movie! I guess I'm just surprised, is all! re: I have a makeup question!!!

At any rate, to answer your question - I'd follow the others' advice and use water-based makeup. Oil-based will be a nightmare on your skin. If you can get to a MAC pro shop, use the Landscape Green. Otherwise, any water-based green makeup will do(try dance/theatre supply stores). The good thing about water-based makeup is that it goes on a bit like watercolor paints, and has almost a "dry" touch when it is set. It still gets on clothes and things, but not messy all over the place like oil-based makeup.

Good luck!

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#12re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:42pm

Definitely go with the Ben Nye water-based makeup. It's much more readily available than MAC and it's cheaper. Stay away from oil-based, because not only can it play hell with your skin, but it doesn't set very well (even with powder) and you'll end up leaving green fingerprints all over the place.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#13re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 4:26pm

It was a chromacake called Landscape Green. It's Brushed on when combined with water using a Japanese Makeup Brush. Then, they use a lighter green, which has more of a blue tint to it to highlight her nose, cheeks, and other highlighted parts of her face. They use a purple shade, can't remember the name for contouring, and eyeshadow, they also had a silvery shade for highlighting of her eyelids. After this, they covered everything with a powder called Golden Olive to make the landscape green look a bit more like skin, and to dampen the brightness of the landscape green. re: I have a makeup question!!! You can only attain some of the shades by calling a 1-800 number that any MAC stand in a retail store can give you. It's on their cards, or probably on their website.

But yes, the Wicked Witch is a totally different character. Having designed the makeup for this character for a production I did, it should be a brighter green, with harder angles, prosthetic warts, and even if you can... a prosthetic chin, because it's an iconic character.

Hope that helps.

that's a really big mic...

Alli579 Profile Photo
Alli579
#14re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:00pm

Professional Makeup artist here to help! The Chromacake in landscape green is the type of makeup used in Wicked. However, as it was said above, this is only available at a MacPRO store. You need to have a license to make purchases in these stores (as far as I know).

However, using Ben Nye's makeup is a simple alternative to all of this. I've done a green girl before and used their products. I cannot remember exactly which color cake foundation I used, but they do sell a green one that goes on with a brush and water. On top of that I used their Chartreuse Luxe powder to give a shimmer as well as cover over any uneven strokes. To finish it off I used one of their sealers to keep the color from smudging.

Their products are very affordable and can be purchased on numerous websites. Hope I could help!

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#15re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:11pm

I bought my MACpro forest green chromacake and olive pigment off of Ebay, when I wanted to dress as the WWWoW/Elphaba for Halloween. BUT... someone suggested Ben Nye... go with that because it's cheaper and just as good...

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#16re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:47pm

Isn't the make-up for Elphaba in Wicked applied by air brush?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#17re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:07pm

Well I know they use specially made green make-up from MAC for Wicked. At least they did. It cleans a bit easieer. Either way it'll be a pain. I'd contact MAC to find out what the deal with it is.

It wasn't specially made, they had a green makeup already.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Sporti2005
#18re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:35pm

have you thought about getting a long-sleeved green leotard so that you don't have to do such a job with the makeup? it would be so so so much easier and practical than applying pounds of green makeup to your arms.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

goodygalinda2 Profile Photo
goodygalinda2
#19re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:37pm

okay just to explain myself the wizard o9f oz is lame because if you haven't seen or read wicked it makes elphie out to be just a horrid person, and the movie version is lame because eery little girl in the civilized world has sung somewhere over the rainbow into the ground. thank you all so much for your advice it helps a ton! especially you Alli579, now i know what to look for :)

I am the same person as the original goodygalinda, I didn't just bite her name, my email address changed,sucky
Updated On: 1/31/06 at 07:37 PM

LaVieHilary Profile Photo
LaVieHilary
#20re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 9:25pm

The Wizard of Oz can seem a little lame and a lot of that is because it was made in 1939. I mean that was the bst they could do with a film like that. I still think its a great "classic" old film but compared to Wicked, the Wiz and every other spin off it seems very weak.

-------------------------
Light in the Piazza with Megan and Emi
"Girl you got money runnin' in yo bloodline."-Carl the Bartender

LilElphaba
#21re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 9:34pm

someone from a board knew ALL of the makeup she used for the show like the powder and everything. i think i deleted the message but i can ask her again if you want

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

Alli579 Profile Photo
Alli579
#22re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 9:55pm

No problem! Contact me if you have any other questions. Break a leg!

electrakitty Profile Photo
electrakitty
#23re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 7:24am

Great advice, everybody! I'll defer to Alli's advice, since she knows more than I do, but I do have another thought. You might also think about Temptu. It's more expensive than Ben Nye, but it really really stays! It was developed for Rebecca Romijn-Stamos for Mystique in X-Men. We've used it quite a lot, and the only ones which there have been problems with are the metallics. They don't really stay on. The others won't come off 'til you use mineral oil or rubbing alcohol.

"Are we a thing?" "Darling, we're everything."

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#24re: I have a makeup question!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 8:07pm

I just watched THE WIZARD OF OZ a few days ago even though I'm in my 20s. It was the first movie I fell in love with as a child and it remains a favorite of mine. How dare you utter such blasphemy! I say, burn the witch! No one mourns the wicked!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Videos