pixeltracker

Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show

Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:46am

Anyone see a Broadway show and see something you weren't supposed to see?

For example, during MAMMA MIA!, I saw two chorus members playing games and giving each other the finger during a dance number and were later whispering to each other and laughing during some dialogue.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:48am

I saw a certain barricade boy scratch his butt during "A Little Fall of Rain."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Joshua488
#2re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:51am

In Wicked when the Oz head moves downstage, I saw a crew member in a red t-shirt and blue jeans walking with the head behind it.

bella cantato
#3re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 1:09am

The men who catch the chandelier on the stage in Phantom... saw them both times I saw the show... oops.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#4re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 1:15am

In the current GREASE tour...Sandy and Danny would write messages on each other's backs during the sing-a-long portion at the end with Frankie Avalon.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#5re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 1:15am

When I saw Guys and Dolls in the west end a few weeks ago, I was on the aisle seat 2nd row, with no one in front of me, and do you know what? The chorus girls really are topless for "take back your mink". I got an eye full....so note to all you guys, sit far left or far right when you see the show :)

and I've had monkeys in wicked wave to me when they take their places in the beginning of the show. That's just fun though.

uhh..I usually watch ensemble members and I know I've seen them playing around before, but I can't think of anything.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

RentBoy86
#6re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 1:22am

I sat in the Box Seats for DRS and I could see everything off stage. It was kind of cool though, as I'm a musical theater major.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#7re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 1:54am

In "Home, Sweet Homer" that musical greek epic that only ran for one performance despite the commanding presence of Yul Brynner...Homer had to move a boulder to prove his strength or some such thing. Well, I was sitting in a box and got to see all the musicians tossing"the heavy boulder" about in the orchestra pit as though it were a beach ball.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

timote316
#8re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 2:00am

I sat extreme stage left for Movin Out... right after River of Dreams, the ensemble ran off stage left, where they had a quick change. The speaker thing that lifted was slow in coming down... I'm pretty sure some of the Movin' Out dancers weren't wearing undergarments, or at least were wearing skin-colored. It was rather startling. They were running, and suddenly naked. I guess that's what I get for watching in the wings instead of the action onstage...

jimnysf
#9re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 2:33am

Vampires on stage. Singing vampires.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#10re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 2:35am

Hey now, don't undercut their abilities...

They danced too!

...Welcome to the New World, baby...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Chrysanthemum62001
#11re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 2:46am

Once in Cabaret Vance Avery was trying to pull the curtain during Money, and it had gotten caught on something. It took him by surprise so his body kind of jerked, but he didn't fall, he just tripped and caught himself. He also couldnt get his zipper down, once.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

SweetQintheLights
#12re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 2:52am

Not Broadway specifically, but a professional performance none-the-less...

There was a Broadway review show on the cruise I was on this past winter. They do 1 song from the most popular of Broadway shows.

I was sitting on the side of the theatre- in the front row and I could see in the wings. Well, the main singer had a quick change and...lets just say- I saw some things that were not meant to be seen. re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 6/2/06 at 02:52 AM

mrslovett7
#13re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 8:42am

I sat in the front row off to the left in DRS and in the scene where Sherie's character said, "Is there a Dr...whatever his name is?" and he snaps. It wasn't actually Jonathan Pryce it wsa some extra with a wig on. I guess Pryce had a qucik costume change.

Also I could see everything happening back stage. When things went rolling off there were stage crews to catch them and at one point when Freddy is in the wheelchair, the stage guy missed him and started running after him backstage hahaha it was really amusing.

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#14re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 9:16am

sitting in the second row, far left for the wicked tour i ended up seeing;

nessa getting out of her chair and walking off stage,
a hand manipulating the oz head
fiyero taking his sweet time getting up on a ladder to do his tarzan swing
techs loading up the flying broom

..and aparantly the ensemble thought i was someone famous/important since they spent a good bit of time and pointing at me and whispering to each other

at thoroughtly modern millie we saw the smoke for the nuttycracker suite or whatever it was called long befor the scene started (we thought stage right was on fire)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

#15re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 9:29am

During a preview of Jekyll and Hyde on Broadway I saw one of the murder victims get up and walk off the stage when the lights didn't go down like they should have. On the other, several people have commented on this so they were either at the same performance I was or it happened a lot.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#16re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:15am

I saw Fantine "de-wig" off stage left after she sold her hair in Les Mis.

In Miss Saigon, I was far right and saw two male soldiers kiss on the lips before coming out of the "Dreamland" set.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#17re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:16am

I saw Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Celia Keenan-Bolger laughing, and whipsering while Barfee was spelling in SB. Awwww.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#18re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:19am

I was extreme left mezzanine for Mamma Mia and saw all of Sophie's quick-change before Gimme Gimme Gimme.

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#19re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:28am

When I saw the first national of Les Mis in Boston back in 87 I think, the scrim started to go up before its cue and I saw the Wedding Guests scramble into place. Maybe the fly-guy thought he was doing 42nd Street!

Stevenyc11101
#20re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:29am

When I went to see "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown" I was sitting on the extreme side house right and Stanley Wayne Matthis was waiting behind a door to make his first entrance and he was talking with someone off stage then he stopped and mimed putting a pickle in his mouth( to be very "Rated PG" on this board).

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#21re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:38am

I've seen actors goofing off in the wings sometimes (usually when I'm sitting in the extreme sides of the house), but I really enjoy peeking into the orchestra pit to see what's going on down there. At LESTAT the other night, there was someone off to the side of the pit (house right), not quite conducting, but just making big dramatic gestures with his/her arms in time to the music. Just gave me one more excuse to giggle.

And at FOOTLOOSE many years ago, I seem to recall a small white rabbit puppet popping up quite frequently....

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#22re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:43am

The second time I saw The Full Monty, during the final number, they forgot to turn off the lights when the guys took off there final piece of clothing. It only lasted for about 3 seconds but I felt so embarrassed for the actors. (I know I would have been)

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#23re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:47am

Years ago when I saw the national tour of Les Miserables the actor playing Javert was obviously...um...very "excited" when he made his first entrance. Talk about distracting!

robyn525600
#24re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:51am

A chorus members underwear/"package" in AIDA - his fly was down.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

Videos