News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#1Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 6:57pm

Why is this movie becoming a Broadway show. It truly is embarassing. One of the worst movies of all time "gracing" the Broadway stage. I'm sure there are plenty of movies that could be staged other than Legally Blonde. The first song is called "Omigod (ONE WORD!) You guys. What the hell are these people thinking? I really truly hope this flops. I don't care how great the cast is. This needs to close already.

Go ahead, start the bashing. I don't care. This thread was made to see if there were at least a couple people on these boards who are not excited for this show. I've only seen people praising this show. I don't believe there is one thread that has been made against this show.

We need more intelligent theatre.

neddyfrank2
jg4892
D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:00pm

Show your outrage by not buying a ticket. That'll show 'em.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

neddyfrank2
#4re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:01pm

No, but I don't need to. I nor the poster never said it was a bad show, it is the concept that is dumb. I could go off about how this is what Broadway has come to but to save your time and mine, I won't.

deadparrot
#5re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:03pm

Personally? I hated the movie. So yeah, I'm assuming the musical won't exactly be up my alley.

Granted, I live in the middle of the country and won't be going to see a Broadway show anytime in the forseeable future, so I don't think the LB people will care all that much, but yeah, it's not my cup of tea.

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#6re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:14pm

I love when people walk by the theater and slow down and are like "Legally Blonde the Musical...wtf?!?!" I'm afraid of it, but I do want to see it since I adored the movie.

goldenstate5
#7re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:25pm

I'll be one to agree. Yes, I haven't seen it, but I did listen to demo tracks and ohh, boy, are they awful. The Wedding Singer worked (barely) because the original movie had a fun feel as well as a loose connection with reality (making since w/ Adam Sandler), and that worked perfectly in-tune with the cartoonish qualities that were established in the show, as well as the musical aspect going on. With Legally Blonde, the movie took itself more seriously (as much as a comedy can), and thus the transition into a cartoonish musical...just flops. The lyrics are the worst offender, and judging from the clips...this idea was one mess after another...

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#8re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:43pm

I haven't seen it but the music in catchy but, in an annoying way.From the press clips and stuff that I've heard the lyrics are cringe-worthy. I've been pretty against this musical since I've head of it. This musical sticks out like a sore thumb this season because there has been quite a few new and innovative musicals.

*Edited for spelling.

Updated On: 2/11/07 at 07:43 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:45pm

I do especially since other similar themes have flopped

Time will tell. Not on my list of things to see. If it pops up on TDF, may give it a look see

Poster Emeritus

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:49pm

I think its ridiculous.....ly amazing.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#11re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:54pm

It's not that the concept is "ridiculous." There have been far more ridiculous concepts that have worked. I'm sure that people were a bit skeptical when producers and creative teams said, "we're making this musical about a demon barber who slits the throats of his clients" and look at how successful and acclaimed SWEENEY TOOD is. Then again there are really ridiculous ideas that have flopped terribly (IN MY LIFE, anyone?) I am just (as I've stated in another LEGALLY BLONDE thread) unimpressed by the footage that the promotional folks have chosen to show us. The press footage is a way to step up and show us what you've got, and none of it really impressed me or made me go, "Oh my! I need to buy a ticket to this show as soon as physically possible." It actually made me less interested in the show.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#12re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

I haven't seen it but would have to say it is not anywhere near the top of my list of "must see" musicals.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#13re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

Sorry guys, this one's going to be a huge hit.

You'll have years to complain about how awful the lyrics and melodies are and what a stupid idea the whole thing is. Have fun!

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

The_Jackal2 Profile Photo
The_Jackal2
#14re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 7:56pm

I can see both sides of the argument, personally. I haven't seen it so I can't really judge. It could be good silly fun and I'm going to try to give it a chance before I make a decision on if I like or not, but I do agree that creativity on Broadway is always a good thing. But I guess it's kind of important that there are at least some musicals out there that can appeal to people just because they liked a movie or whatever. Otherwise, it's can be harder to find commercial success.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#15re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:05pm

i do; however, the idea of seeing it is somehow appealing to me still. i guess they're doing something right. and the fact that i can't contain my curiousity helps them a lot as well.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#16re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:11pm

I personally think this show looks like crap.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#17re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:11pm

"I think its ridiculous.....ly amazing."

DRSislove, can you please get back to us when you've seen the show?

I'm sorry, but this is really getting to me lately. I know that people are perfectly entitled to having their own opinions, but can you please hold off on praising (or slamming) a show until you've seen it? Or at least until it's opened on Broadway.. or even begun performances there.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#18re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:15pm

I have no opinion on the show since I haven't seen it, but I do think that this new fad of making bad movies into musicals is dumb!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#19re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

Bill's asked about the idea. I think the idea is great.

I don't need to have seen the show to think the idea of making Legally Blonde into a musical is a good idea. Updated On: 2/11/07 at 08:15 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#20re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 2/11/07 at 08:15 PM

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#21re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:17pm

I hated the idea at first. I always try to view every show with an open mind, but it was really hard for me to do so with this one; I cringed everytime I walked by the Palace Theatre and saw the Legally Blonde sign. Then I heard the song "Omigod!" and thought it was catchy and liked it (yes, I admit to that). Though I think the show could be fun and might be a big success, it's not on my list of things I'd definitely like to see in New York as I'm not really interested in the movie in the first place. I'll probably see it only if I have extra time and money after seeing the stuff that I'm really interested in seeing.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"
Updated On: 2/11/07 at 08:17 PM

AuditioningWaitress
#22re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:18pm

Say what you will. It got get reviews out of town. I think I'm going to have to agree with Tech. But, I'll wait and judge until after I actually see the show. I thought DRS was a terrible idea too and I loved it!
Playbill's Week in Review

husk_charmer
#23re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:18pm

I feel exactly like I did with "Wedding Singer" tolerable opening number, worthless otherwise...except I do like Stephen Lynch and Kevin Cahoon, where as I hate just about everything invovled with Legally Blonde.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

jimnysf
#24re: Is there anyone who thinks the idea of Legally Blonde is ridiculous?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 8:34pm

You bashers are totally wrong. I admit that it was not on my list of shows to see but I did see it and enjoyed it a lot! I'm going back for the third time before it leaves SF. The cast is wonderful (Orfeh, Richard H Blake, Andy Karl, Manuel Herrera and all the others). The music is much better than "Wedding Singer" which was dull had mostly dreadful songs. Sorry but this is going to be a HUGE HIT! I can't believe that some of you in this thread who thought "Lestat" was so wonderful (when it was the worst show ever), can pass judgement on this, especially WHEN YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN IT!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Videos