Toy Story: The Musical

goldenstate5
#1Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 1:25pm

Video and pictures of the new "Toy Story: The Musical" aboard the Disney Wonder cruise ship:
http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-631.asp

So, I don't care what anyone says about GrooveLily or it just being a cruise ship show, this both looks and sounds AWFUL...should've sticked with Randy Newman...

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#2re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 2:13pm

What. Was. That?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#2re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 2:44pm

It took me a good 5 seconds to figure out the red people are Monkeys-in-a-Barrel.

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#3re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 2:46pm

???

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#4re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 2:49pm

Wow that was deliciously awful! Those songs were terrible and Buzz Lightyear's breathing sounds like Darth Vader.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#5re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 3:13pm

That's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here, that's why we're here!

Those giant toy puppets were kinda cool, though.

CHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
#6re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 3:15pm

The annoying thing is, it looks like someone has put LOADS of hard work and ALOT of money into creating it, what a waste, I mean however bad it is, you have do admire the costumes, which are a perfect match, the set, which is wonderful, and SOME of the actors i.e. the dinosaur and mr potato head, who sound exactly the same as they do in the film, just a shame it looks rubbish!

"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#7re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 3:19pm

nice costumes, bad songs, terrible lyrics, Disney is beginning to look desperate with their movie musicals what's next? Fantasia 2000 The Musical?

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#8re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 4:43pm

This is pretty bad but it's clearly a children's production. Not a Broadway Disney Musical.

just straight up kiddie fluff.

congrats to Groovelilly for getting their foot in the door. Hope to see more of their work (and the better stuff). Very talented group of musicians. Wish them the best!

WE OBEY THE CLAW. THE CLAW. THE CLAW.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#9re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 6:14pm

Oh. My. God.

HAHA!

Hilarious.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

BroadwayBaby21
#10re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 7:31pm

That was... um... interesting?

I'm going on the Wonder in June, so I guess I will see for myself what it's all about...

The costumes and set are awesome though!

-If you don't like your fate, change it. You are your own master.- Aida

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#11re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 7:43pm

The costumes and sets are absolutely gorgeous!! For a cruise show they really spared no expense. Maybe Disney should have hired those people to design for Mermaid, little too late for that though!

broadwayboy522
#12re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 9:24pm

I guess they were attempting to go for what they had with Finding Nemo The Musical at Animal Kingdom but it's looking like they didn't quite get that.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#13re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/16/08 at 9:48pm

I have to say...

The costumes are brilliant.

However, the direction and choreography look abysmal, and the music is downright dull.

With a new score, this show could make a pretty cool children's show, especially with those costumes.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#14re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/17/08 at 3:23am

Gee, I didn't think it was that bad. The first song was kinda catchy, if you ignore the awful lyrics, which due to the actors, were hard to hear anyway.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#15re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 4/17/08 at 3:51am

Damn those costumes were AMAZING

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#16re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/24/10 at 6:19pm

I didn't think it was NEARLY as bad as everyone on here says. N, it's not great at all. But it isn't terrible. I enjoyed it for what it was, a kids show from Disney.

It was supposed to replace the Aladdin show in Disneyland, but people loved Aladdin too much. So now, I hear, that they're building a new theatre for it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/24/10 at 7:55pm

You do realize that this thread was over two years old....right?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#18re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/24/10 at 9:12pm

Of course. But I was going to post a thread on it and decided to do a search instead. And does that mean these people's opinions have changed?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/24/10 at 11:46pm

Well, bravo for using the search function, Overkill. Even though it was a random bump, you don't know how tiring it is to tell people to use the search function for the most obvious things. At least we know some people get the message. re: Toy Story: The Musical

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#20re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/25/10 at 2:29am

Well, thank you. :)

I'm a Disney whore, so I was watching it on YouTube and wanted to see what people thought. That's all. :)

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#21re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:28am

No matter how bad the material is i'd love to play Mr Potato Head

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/25/10 at 6:23am

Good point from Millie, indeed. (But we all know that the search feature here is awful -- so a feat truly.)

It's not necessarily that opinions have changed....but seeing how few responses were even posted -- not too many cared two years ago, either.

I'm not 'anti-Disney' per se, but have no interest in a theme park's prodcution. Particularly on a Broadway board.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#23re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/25/10 at 1:01pm

Disney has three strong productions out there that should be expanded/workshopped for Broadway. 1. Aladdin(Disneyland) 2. Finding Nemo(DisneyWorld) 3. Hunchback(Germany '98-'02).

It's not like Disney doesn't have anything out there. All three could work very nicely on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#24re: Toy Story: The Musical
Posted: 9/25/10 at 2:19pm

Disney is planning on keep Nemo at the park. There is no plans for it to go Broadway. They like the success it has with it's park guest. One of it's "educating" purposes is that of exposing young kids to musical theatre. Most families that come to the parks aren't ones to spend money to go to NYC just to see a show. So the show was partly meant to spark interest for musical theatre in young minds.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).