News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013- Page 2

BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:33pm

Sutton Ross and ModernMillie are the same person, right?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:42pm

^ I was going to make the same comment in the Memphis thread. Of course they are.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#27BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:50pm

If Scandalous managed to get a cast album, this better!

My heart breaks reading this. This company deserves so much credit for the amazing show they're putting on every night.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#28BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:54pm

Please, Norbert Butz is a name to people around here and other theater lovers. NOT a big draw outside of this esoteric circle.

Sorry sweetie.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#29BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:55pm

Not THE LAST SHIP. That is coming next season.

It will likely be ALLEGIANCE.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:59pm

As much as I enjoyed this show, I keep thinking to myself that it should of been so much better. It really had the potential to be a much better show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

camncal
#31BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:01pm

sad. any chance of this being released on DVD/blu-ray?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#32BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:09pm

Yes, because the thunderous applause as soon as he walks out on stages makes him a huge nobody. Did you even attend Big Fish? Of course he sells tickets. Tons of people went to see Big Fish just for him. He is a star on Broadway and in New York. The huge draw was him, and he is not why this show closed. Sorry, sweetie.

If any of this were true, this would be the hottest ticket in town. But it's not. It's closing after just over 100 performances. "Thunderous applause" does not pay the rent or keep a show running. A "huge draw" is someone like Hugh Jackman, not Norbert Leo Butz, talented as he is.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:10pm

I wonder if this will have any impact on Susan Stroman getting new musicals to Broadway. I remember that article on her and investors wanting to get involved with her name attatched to the project. I wonder how they feel now. Or is this all Lippa's fault?

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#34BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:28pm

All I want is a cast album. A recording wouldn't hurt either, but as long as they get an album I'll be content. I thought the show was decent, but nothing incredible. I would like to give the album a listen-to, though. I wonder if this show will get any life beyond broadway.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#35BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:40pm

This is too bad - I saw this in Chicago, and while visually stunning I could not recall any of the score. I think they made more tweaks than most - but the movie name was never a big draw anyway, and then the reviews were just OK. (not to open a can of worms, but Kinky Boots made minimal changes after Chicago and it did just fine - with a fun score). Bigger and better things to all involved.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#36BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:44pm

The same person? I wasn't aware we were. I am a boy, she is a girl. However, I know her in real life, we are of similar age, and we are pretty close buddies on here, private messaging and stuff. People have each others backs on here quite often, it just seems natural.

To wrap this up on my end, NLB is a legend, and a draw to many. This show will be missed.

KathyNYC2
#37BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:54pm

Sad..but not totally unexpected. I am less fussy about my Broadway shows that some and I enjoy just about everything for one reason or the other. I have been known to see shows numerous times even if I didn't love them because I enjoyed some aspects of the shows that I was interested to re-visit.

But I really didn't enjoy much of Big Fish and really had no itch to see it again. I don't think the music helped but there was a lot more that was the problem. And for the performance I saw, most of the people who were chatting near me didn't like it that much either. I was not as impressed by Norbert as I had been in some of his previous shows but I thought Bobby S was amazing.

Regardless, I feel sorry for any show that closes. All that work...

madlibrarian
#38BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:00pm

Question for those more knowledgeable about the show biz than I: what advantage (if any) is there in announcing the closing weeks in advance, as opposed to forging on bravely and making the announcement closer to December 29?

AEA AGMA SM
#39BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:01pm

Stroman has had both her hits and misses, just like most directors and choreographers. This isn't her first show to do less business than expected, and it won't be her last.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#40BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:02pm

madlibrarian - they may hope this gives people more incentive to see the show while they can. And/or there may be another show going in that would like to announce that soon.

madlibrarian
#41BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:05pm

Aha. Has a show ever rescinded a closing notice because business picked up greatly? Not argumentative; just curious.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#42BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:11pm

I really enjoyed this show. The cast was fantastic!

JuanValjean72 Profile Photo
JuanValjean72
#43BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:15pm

I've yet to see the show but if he's as good in this role as Rob McClure was in Chaplin, he'll definitely get a nod in it. I can't think of too many other shows that have/will have a strong male lead to beat him out of a nomination.

indytallguy
#44BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:17pm

"NLB is a legend, and a draw to many. This show will be missed."

Look, I like Butz, and he is a talented performer, but a "legend?" Most certainly not. He may be at some point, but not right now.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#45BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:21pm

He isn't as good as Rob McClure in CHAPLIN was. Butz always will deserve consideration come Awards season, but five good performances in the spring could easily move him from the ballot. McClure demanded recognition, and people kept mentioning him well past the show's closing. I won't say Butz won't get nominated, but I'd never say he'll "definitely" get one.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

After Eight
#46BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:25pm

"Aha. Has a show ever rescinded a closing notice because business picked up greatly? Not argumentative; just curious."

All the Way Home.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#47BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:32pm

Haha Cap'n, so wrong you are.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#48BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:43pm

So LAST SHIP did cancel their pre-Broadway engagment, then?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Liza's Headband
#49BIG FISH to Close on Broadway December 29, 2013
Posted: 11/10/13 at 9:50pm

Norbert Leo Butz can be considered a "legend" IN YOUR OPINION or, more aptly, in the fantasy world inside your head. But put up against mainstream standards, he is certainly not a "legend" in the entertainment industry. Or theatre world for that matter. Sorry...

Videos