News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC- Page 14

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#325NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 9:28pm

RUkiddingme said: "Huss417 said: "I think I prefer Nicholas Christopher bald over this wig. I didn't even know it was him at first."

That wig is just awful! Makes me NOT want to see the show.

"

lol it's a wig dude the wig is perfect as it looks like Jelly Roll he wasn't bald! review bits - Even the wigs (by J. Jared Janas) are exceptional.

Whether all that goodness recommends a Broadway transfer, as has been rumored, is not for me to say. The book has unsolvable problems, but then so do most musicals, until they are solved — or bulldozed. Even then, few give you a first act like this one, or a subject — the creation of American music in the furious cauldron of race — as hot. I mean hot as entertainment, of course, but also, even hotter, as history.

*We are seeing next week but damn this show is not selling tons of tickets so hopefully the positive reviews will entice and motivate those on the fence to now just GO!

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/22/24 at 09:28 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#326NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 9:30pm

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#327NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 9:32pm

Robbie2 said: "RUkiddingme said: "Huss417 said: "I think I prefer Nicholas Christopher bald over this wig. I didn't even know it was him at first."

"

lol it's a wig dude the wig is perfect as it looks like Jelly Roll he wasn't bald! review bits -Even the wigs (by J. Jared Janas) are exceptional.

Whether all that goodness recommends a Broadway transfer, as has been rumored, is not for me to say. The book has unsolvable problems, but then so do most musicals, until they are solved — or bulldozed. Even then, few give you a first act like this one, or a subject — the creation of American music in the furious cauldron of race — as hot. I mean hot as entertainment, of course, but also, even hotter, as history.

*We are seeing next week but damn this show is not selling tons of tickets so hopefully the positive reviews will entice and motivate those on the fence to now just GO!

"

Updated On: 2/22/24 at 09:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#328NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 9:34pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "RUkiddingme said: "Huss417 said: "I think I prefer Nicholas Christopher bald over this wig. I didn't even know it was him at first."

"

lol it's a wig dude the wig is perfect as it looks like Jelly Roll he wasn't bald! review bits -Even the wigs (by J. Jared Janas) are exceptional.

*We are seeing next week but damn this show is not selling tons of tickets so hopefully the positive reviews will entice and motivate those on the fence to now just GO!

"

"

Updated On: 2/22/24 at 09:34 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#329NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 10:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jesse Greenmentions rumors of Broadway aspirations for this revival...who's behind it?"

Could this take The Broadhurst after Beautiful Noise closes?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#330NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 11:21pm

In regards to the NY Stage review I think the mission of Encores has changed. The changes have been publicly stated as well as written about by the artistic director. The mission echos the mission of the theatre in general.

pagereynolds
#331NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/22/24 at 11:26pm

Matt Rogers said: "This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I saw this tonight andfound it to be pretty excruciating, overall.

Great choreography,and seeing Leslie Uggums was amazing.

However, the sound was not great and it was impossible to hear lyrics clearly. I was in the back, and no one around me had any idea what was going on.

Well, hopefully people enjoy this. I did not.

"

We thought it was... fine? The cast was great, the show is just -- not great. And the sound was iffy from the front orchestra.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#332NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/29/24 at 11:28am

Have to say I loved this production. I am also pleased to see a rave from The Times has turned the show into a hit as prior to the review second week tickets sales were dismal but now appears to be selling extremely well.

‘I know there has been discussions about the sound. I was sitting Orch Row C canter and the sound was quite muffled at times. In my 30 years of attending Encores! Productions this was the first time it was very obvious.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#333NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/29/24 at 10:57pm

UWS10023 said: "In regards to the NY Stage review I think the mission of Encores has changed. The changes have been publicly stated as well as written about by the artistic director. The mission echos the mission of the theatre in general."

This is all true, though the function of Encores within NYCC has also changed. What started as "hey this would be a fun way to fill a theatre with lesser-known shows for 3 weekends a year" has now become a significant revenue stream for City Center. City Center also benefits greatly from enhancement money from commercial partners (which they had on Pal Joey, Parade, and Mattress) and from commercial transfers.

My assumption is that Lear and Jenny Gersten were hired with the directive of "we need to increase revenue from Encores shows."

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#334NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 2/29/24 at 11:15pm

Was Billy on tonight? 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#335NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/1/24 at 3:41pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Was Billy on tonight?"

I was also curious if he was with the passing of his mother yesterday. I am going back for a second time tonight and will post to let you know.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#336NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/1/24 at 3:47pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Was Billy on tonight?"

Friends who saw the show last night said he was.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

leefowler
#337NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/1/24 at 4:37pm

I saw the show last night, and Billy was in. In my opinion, this is the best musical in New York at the moment, a complete triumph.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#338NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/1/24 at 4:47pm

I saw it on Tuesday. Enjoyed it, the big numbers were the standout.  Loved the Choreo and direction.  I didn’t like it as much as others here.  I left wanting more. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#339NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/2/24 at 8:58pm

I saw Jelly's Last Jam today. What I loved: the performances, the choreography, the music. Especially Nicholas Christopher -- wow! I saw him as Sweeney so i knew he could sing, but it's such a different style and I did not know he could also dance! Also loved Joaquina Kalukango. Only saw her in Slave Play. She was awesome! The tap choreo was amazing too. I also really enjoyed the Morton songs.

I didn't think the actual musical was great though. Ticks all the boxes of a bio-musical, that's all. 

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#340NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/4/24 at 10:01am

I saw yesterday's matinee closing performance and want to congratulate the Encores leadership team, director Robert O'Hara, choreographers Edgar Godineaux + Doremeshia, and the SPECTACULAR cast led by a very impressive Nicholas Christopher (wish I'd seen his Sweeney), Joaquina Kalaukango, Billy Porter, Leslie Uggams, with a flawless, extraordinary ensemble across the board. Brilliance everywhere you looked.

chrishuyen
#341NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/4/24 at 1:29pm

Is there a comprehensive list of the original songs that the show is based on?   Wikipedia lists some of them and I think people have said that Last Chance Blues is based on Blue Blood Blues, and George C. Wolfe has also mentioned Jungle Blues in interviews, but I can't find a list online that has each corresponding track.  Or is it just that the arrangements have "remixed" some of them enough that they wouldn't necessarily be recognizable?  I'd love to compare the original Jelly Roll Morton songs to the way they ended up being done for the show.

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 01:29 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#343NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/4/24 at 4:39pm

Broadway Flash said: "Any rumors of a transfer?"

If it were to happen, it likely won't be till sometime next season. Hope they can keep some of the Encores cast intact. Especially with Nicholas Christopher & Billy Porter. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#344NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/4/24 at 4:46pm

A transfer seems extremely unlikely.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#345NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:06am

So disappointed with this production. I was in the second row of the Balcony on the left side. The seat was fine but I couldn’t hear most of the lyrics from the get go. It was that tiny treble sound that I hate at City Center. I tuned out right away. This doesn’t have to be. I saw Dear World at the Center and had no trouble hearing from the Balcony section. The dancing was great but the book for this show never gets going. Time passes but you would only know it by someone saying, “it’s been a long time, Jelly”. I had no trouble hearing the incredible Mr. Christopher in Sweeney Todd recently but, again, like most of the show, he was muddled here. Great seeing Ms. Uggams. The original Hunnies were great but give them a full number to themselves! I wanted to like this but it didn’t happen for me on Sunday. 

Wardelljclark2018
#346NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/5/24 at 2:42pm

I absolutely loved this show! The complaints about the book don't matter, just look at the Tony nominations and wins from the 1992 production. I also think it is very interesting the divide between white and other theatre goers, and the Black theatre goers who saw this show. The critiques, the wig comments (I would love for yt folks to never comment on Black hair, wig or natural but that's just me), Billy being in a different play (which he wasn't). I do hope for a transfer, not sure how likely that is, but it would well be worth it. The response from dear friends, artist in the community, and at large have been overwhelming to this production. You come on this board, and mostly complaints...its fascinating, and lets me know how much further we have to go in understanding, cultural things outside of our own visage. Also, makes me think about the work that is put on Broadway in general, or how the Broadway League continually shows there lack of care for artists and POC in particular. Again, I hope it transfers. 

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#347NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/5/24 at 2:58pm

Wardelljclark2018 said: "The response from dear friends, artist in the community, and at large have been overwhelming to this production. You come on this board, and mostly complaints...its fascinating,"

It's a time-honored tradition. White shows are "surprisingly good" whereas Black shows are "disappointing".

In reality, Robert O'Hara's production is spectacular, with dozens of artists performing at an insanely high level. And Wolfe's book is actually very strong, with snappy dialogue and a real sense of dramatic and social heft. But reading this thread, you'd think it was nothing special.

Updated On: 3/5/24 at 02:58 PM

pagereynolds
#348NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/5/24 at 3:02pm

Synecdoche2 said: "Wardelljclark2018 said: "The response from dear friends, artist in the community, and at large have been overwhelming to this production. You come on this board, and mostly complaints...its fascinating,"

It's a time-honored tradition. White shows are "surprisingly good" whereas Black shows are "disappointing". Robert O'Hara's productionis spectacular, with dozens of artists performing at an insanely high level. And Wolfe's book is actually very strong, with snappy dialogue and a real sense of dramatic heft. But reading this thread, you'd think it was nothing special.
"

The performances in this production were mostly amazing, with the exception of whatever the hell Billy Porter was doing. The show itself is not good. The production was fine, but the sound was horrible. But literally, the entire MISSION of Encores! was supposed to be shows that don't work. This show doesn't work. At all.

Owen22
#349NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 3/5/24 at 3:03pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "Any rumors of a transfer?"

If it were to happen, it likely won't be till sometime next season. Hope they can keep some of the Encores cast intact. Especially with Nicholas Christopher & Billy Porter.
"

I don't see a reason to do the show without them...

Videos