News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC- Page 9

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#200NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/11/24 at 2:55pm

I know we won’t know for THIS production until performances start, but what is the usual runtime for Once Upon a Mattress?

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#201NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/11/24 at 3:22pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Can confirm The Minstrel is cut and combined with The Jester."

I assume this means The Minstrel, the Jester, and I has been cut. 

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#202NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/11/24 at 3:32pm

musikman said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Can confirm The Minstrel is cut and combined with The Jester."

I assume this means The Minstrel, the Jester, and I has been cut.
"

I hope they keep it and make Ghee do a lot of puppet work.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#203NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/11/24 at 7:39pm

I saw Cheyenne Jackson at Appropriate this week! Can’t wait to see Mattress!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#204NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/11/24 at 7:59pm

gleek4114 said: "I know we won’t know for THIS production until performances start, but what is the usual runtime for Once Upon a Mattress?"

It's a pretty short show generally, I'd say no more than 2 hours including intermission.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#205NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/21/24 at 10:58pm

Does anybody else find the current City Center marketing odd in the lack of Sutton? On their Instagram there's been a video of Jackson and Daniels at the piano, a video of Ghee at the piano, a video of Ghee and Daniels with the orchestra, a rehearsal slideshow with pictures of Harris, Urie, Ghee, Jackson, Daniels, and Jue, and then a video of the ensemble in the sitzprobe where Sutton is sitting down, masked (I know she doesn't sing in that number, though)... is she sick or something? Is her voice not full at the moment?

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe they're just waiting to garner Sutton anticipation... not sure. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick
Updated On: 1/21/24 at 10:58 PM

Voter
#206NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/21/24 at 11:02pm

Kad said: "gleek4114 said: "I know we won’t know for THIS production until performances start, but what is the usual runtime for Once Upon a Mattress?"

It's a pretty short show generally, I'd say no more than 2 hours including intermission.
"

On the nycc website, the run time will be approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#207NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/22/24 at 6:42am

Halfhourcheckwithmerman: Does anybody else find the current City Center marketing odd in the lack of Sutton?

There is a video of Sutton and Lear available now.  I thought the use of Sutton’s phone call with Carol Burnett very effective.

Updated On: 1/22/24 at 06:42 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#208NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:04am

I was just looking at the second week of Jelly's Last Jam to buy tickets for a gift. The theatre is pretty empty.

I think I will wait to see if a code becomes available as I think they will need to do more than the 20% off they are now doing for Mattress.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#209NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:06am

Huss417 said: "I was just looking at the second week of Jelly's Last Jam to buy tickets for a gift. The theatre is pretty empty.

I think I will wait to see if a code becomes available as I think they will need to do more than the 20% off they are now doing for Mattress.
"

Code is DMJELLY for 20% off. But I agree without a star they’ll need to push this more.

Updated On: 1/22/24 at 11:06 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#210NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:38am

raddersons said: "Huss417 said: "I was just looking at the second week of Jelly's Last Jam to buy tickets for a gift. The theatre is pretty empty.

"

Code is DMJELLY for 20% off. But I agree without a star they’ll need to push this more.
"

Thanks. I am going to wait and see if they offer anything else. If not I am assuming will show up on TKTS.

I have been a subscriber since season 1 and really never paid attention to what each show charges as I always thought it was the same amount but this is the first time I have noticed that for the three shows each is priced differently for individual seats.

Mattress Center Orch - $225.00. Jelly Center Orch - $155.00 and Titanic Center Orch - $195.00.

Is this something new or has it always been this way?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#211NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 1:48am

Anyone at the dress tonight? Any thoughts? Hoping this one is great! 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#212NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 6:38am

The cast gave it there all and everyone was flexing their comedy chops. Act 1 worked better than 2. It is not the greatest piece of musical theatre in terms of the book and the music which for the most part is not very memorable. Ultimately it felt a little exhausting. The vocals were strong for the most part and Sutton carried it well. Harris was very funny. Visually the direction was symmetrical and not that interesting. Stylistically it mirrored children’s theatre and it stayed in a 2 dimensional lane. It ran about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Given the story,  it felt like an hour and 45 minutes would have been a better length. Leave them wanting more sort of thing. By the time you get to Act 2 you are ready for the princess to sleep on the pea but the script veers off into other characters. The director let the cast play and it resulted in some funny bits. But bits can also wear out their welcome. The cast was conscious of cues. They seemed to be doing their best to keep it all moving.

Updated On: 1/24/24 at 06:38 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#213NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 9:58am

Curious about book changes/updates. I’m not seeing this until the weekend and I can’t wait. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#214NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 11:21am

I’ve never seen a professional production of this show (though, like many, I might have done a high school production back in the day).

I’m assuming “The Minstrel, The Jester, and I” has been cut. Can anyone at the final dress confirm? Curious to see how the roles of the Minstrel and Jester were combined.

I like Sutton, but I often feel like she’s cast in roles that don’t allow her to shine or set her up for success. I think Winifred is a great role for her. I think she has the comedic chops to pull off something like “The Swamps of Home,” and I’m very much looking forward to seeing it this weekend. 

yyys
SondheimTesori
#216NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 3:45pm

Re: the clip- I adore Sutton but has anyone noticed a gradual decline in her vocal placement? Definitely understandable considering it can happen with age and less vocal use.  Her vibrato has definitely slowed and in general her voice is less "pingy" She still is wonderful but its unfortunate- I feel like she would have sung this exceptionally a decade ago. 

Updated On: 1/24/24 at 03:45 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#217NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 3:55pm

yyys said: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CswHHvTbeV8&t=62s

Doesn't look too appealing to me. Cheyenne Jackson only has one number, correct?
"

I believe he has 2 duets.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#218NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:31pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Curious about book changes/updates. I’m not seeing this until the weekend and I can’t wait."

I was not familiar with the text so I cannot speak to the changes. I am curious too. Jackson had 2 duets. He sounded great. He seemed to be crooning for lack of a better word, which felt appropriate given the year the music was written. He sounded like people that were on the radio in 1960. I do not remember if the Minstrel number was in the show and my program did not make it home with me.

Updated On: 1/24/24 at 04:31 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#219NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:32pm

I really thought Sutton would have had a LOT more power in her voice hitting that “Shy”.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#220NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:37pm

This could be her marking in a dress rehearsal, but from that one-minute clip it sounds like it's not in the strongest part of her voice. She's struggling on the low note and we know she can sing higher than that. (This is the Burnett key, and sounds close to the original orchestration)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#221NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:45pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I really thought Sutton would have had a LOT more power in her voice hitting that “Shy”."

Had the same thought. After seeing her play Carol Burnett in this role on Mrs. Maisel, I do have to say I wish Leslie Kritzer had been cast in this. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#222NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:49pm

Disappointed by what I’ve seen so far. Sutton just doesn’t seem kooky enough for me. She’s singing Shy too nicely. Eh. I’m going at the end of the run, so I’m hoping she improves as she goes, but maybe two shows at the same time is too much for her. Going to Sweeney the week after this, so I hope she nails one of them, at least. They’re both over-the-top, brassy women which I thought was her jam, but maybe she’s too apple pie. Not the kind I want for Lovett…or Winnifred.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#223NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 4:56pm

That’s how I felt about Wild Party. Would have thought it would be a vocal slam dunk. 

theatergoer3
#224NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 1/24/24 at 5:55pm

Encores posted the digital program - https://www.nycitycenter.org/globalassets/__pdps/2023-2024/encores/once-upon-a-mattress/encores-onceuponamattress-programme.pdf

Musical Numbers

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Act One

Overture ................................................................................................ The Encores! Orchestra

Prologue — Many Moons Ago............................................................................................ Jester

Opening for a Princess ........................................................ Dauntless, Lady Larken, Company

In a Little While ..................................................................................... Sir Harry & Lady Larken

In a Little While (Reprise) .................................................................... Sir Harry & Lady Larken

Shy.................................................................................................................Winnifred & Knights

Sensitivity............................................................................................................ Queen & Wizard

The Swamps of Home .................................................................................... Winnifred & Ladies

Normandy................................................................................................... Jester & Lady Larken

Spanish Panic....................................................................................... Danced by the Company

Song of Love ............................................................................ Dauntless, Winnifred, Company

Act Two

Entr’acte..................................................................................................The Encores! Orchestra

Opening — Act II ........................................................................... Queen Aggravain & Chorus

Happily Ever After ........................................................................................................ Winnifred

Man to Man Talk............................................................................... Dauntless & King Sextimus

Very Soft Shoes................................................................................................................... Jester

Yesterday I Loved You .......................................................................... Sir Harry & Lady Larken

Finale ............................................................................................................................... Company

Updated On: 1/24/24 at 05:55 PM

Videos