News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!- Page 7

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

TheOnlyOne2
#150Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/17/23 at 11:51pm

Went to see the show tonight because of Donna Murphy, and my love of for the film version of "The Madwoman of Chaillot. "Kiss Her Now", has been one of my favorite songs since I heard the cast album, as well. 

Donna was brilliant, and she made me cry. Harada Burns, Fitzgerald, and Ashmanskas all showed why they are stars in their on right, and Williams was a nice surprise. I saw her in Caroline or Change and didn't really like her character. I think it was just the book and music she was given in that show. 

KODY JAURON NEEDS TO BE ON MORE MUSICAL STAGES. He moved so effortlessly and everything he did had intention. If he can sing on key, I see him becoming a huge star. 

The book is mediocre, and unlike the film, it couldn't be dressed up by set and costume in an encores performance. Act 2 was much better. At that point the book really leans into musical comedy and doesn't spend as much time being precious. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#151Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/18/23 at 11:06pm

I had the best time at this tonight.  Obviously the book is a mess but it’s a mess like “Anyone Can Whistle” where if you go in accepting that and just want to enjoy it for what it is, you can get a lot out of what DOES work within the show. 

Im going to go again tomorrow since I’m sure it’ll be another 50 years before a big production is in the city again and Donna’s worth a return visit. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#152Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/18/23 at 11:10pm

Tonight, after years of listening to the OBC recording and reading that the "book doesn't work," I finally got to see Dear World for myself, and I found it to be a near perfect show. 

I went in knowing I would enjoy the songs I knew, but the songs that never got recorded in 1969 are just as wonderful.

Hearing the trio in the second act live, I felt it the equal of anything from Mozart.

I loved every moment of this. 

About 15 years ago, I saw an English translation of the source play, and it dragged & was more nonsensical. Even with adding so many songs, I found this simplified & streamlined the plot.  After a week seeing things like Camelot & Sweeney Todd which go on for 3+ hours, this felt quite economical.

Loves it! Loved it! Loved it!

Jordan Catalano
AntV
#154Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 1:25am

Is there a good discount code for this? Or non student rush?

I have the Access code for under age 35 but the seats are only the rear balcony which is super far away up there. I've sat in the mezz with the access program in the past, no idea why it isn't included especially since there's still so much mezz availability.

Tenor8674
#155Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 10:41am

Rather enjoyed it, but didn't think the added songs were necessary.  Did anyone stay for the talkback? Curious to know what was discussed. 

Jordan Catalano
#156Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:09pm

I’m so glad I went back for the final show tonight. This one absolutely gets a spot on my “Best Encores Productions I’ve Ever Seen” list. 

Updated On: 3/19/23 at 11:09 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#157Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:27pm

This was a magical night of an ilk I fear we have had fewer and fewer of. Exactly what I love Encores for. I will treasure this for a long time. A show like this makes me miss the heyday of this board but I'm glad to know other folks did feel the same way. The show itself was not at all what I was expecting, but not only did I think it was really good, it strongly resonated in a surprising way. Well, well, well done. The cast and orchestra were perfect. Good, focused direction too. Just a very fun and frequently misty time. 

Updated On: 3/19/23 at 11:27 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#158Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:36pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m so glad I went back for the final show tonight. This one absolutely makes gets a spot on my “Best Encores Productions I’ve Ever Seen” list."

Yep.  Me too.  Just a solid, well done production of a Jerry Herman miss (but a hit with me anyway...).  What's not to like?

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#159Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m so glad I went back for the final show tonight. This one absolutely makes gets a spot on my “Best Encores Productions I’ve Ever Seen” list."

i was there tonight too. And I could not agree more. What a total joy.

Updated On: 3/19/23 at 11:37 PM

Scarywarhol
#160Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 12:16am

I feel like not enough has been said about how hilarious Brooks Ashmanskas was as the corporate president in his rolling office. Just his tone when he responds to concerns that people will die (the line is something like "Do you know them? Are they your friends?"Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER! was like the funniest possible choice. Ann Harada, Andrea Burns, and Christopher Fitzgerald all also hysterical. You could say they make the book "work" but I actually loved seeing them do THIS book and this level of (strangely heartfelt) caricature. 

Jordan Catalano
#161Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 12:31am

Ann Harada should have stood by the doors selling “Little Dickies” for $10 for BCEFA and just handing people imaginary puppies. Woulda made a fortune. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#162Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 12:57am

"Tonight, New York's hottest club was Dear World at City Center. This place had everything: sewers, imaginary dogs, talking hot water bottles..."

Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#163Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 3:05am

I also just had to go back tonight after seeing it Saturday night as well. And I think Donna Murphy was in even better voice tonight. Ahhh, this was an Encores! that reminded me why I love Encores! Musical Comedy heaven. The back-to-back punch of I Don't Want To Know and I've Never Said I Love You is really well crafted and deeply captivating. Donna's I Don't Want To Know is something I will cherish being able to see twice. The first time was so emotional hearing it in context for the first time and then the second time I was totally able to bask in the glow of Donna Murphy's technique and power as a singing actress (her singing of the word memories was so rich and her belt at the end so strong). Really hope we see her again in a musical on stage soon!

The Other One
#164Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 6:43am

Scarywarhol said: "I feel like not enough has been said about how hilarious Brooks Ashmanskas was as the corporate president in his rolling office. Just his tone when he responds to concerns that people will die (the line is something like "Do you know them? Are they your friends?"Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER! was like the funniest possible choice. Ann Harada, Andrea Burns, and Christopher Fitzgerald all also hysterical. You could say they make the book "work" but I actually loved seeing them do THIS book and this level of (strangely heartfelt) caricature."

“Strangely heartfelt caricature” sums them up beautifully. I treasured everyone’s work here not only for successfully carrying out Encores!’ mission, but for the case they made for Dear World. I was misty eyed, too.

Updated On: 3/20/23 at 06:43 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#165Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:19am

Also went again last night and it was just as magical. Donna Murphy is so funny only she can get transfixed in that kind of complex intimate emotional facial expression like she is in Passion and then snap out of it and return to broad musical comedy facial expression for comedic effect. In a pipe dream would love the Roundabout to pick this up for a limited run and a marketing team position the whole event as a kind of quirky post-brunch activity to do with your elderly family/friends. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#166Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:14am

Donna Murphy as Norma Desmond when? No idea why I'd never thought of it before, but last night it clicked, specifically at the top of act two. She'd be spectacular.

Updated On: 3/20/23 at 11:14 AM

MackTheKnife2 Profile Photo
MackTheKnife2
#167Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 2:49pm

I went last night, this was my first time at an Encores! production and it was everything I hoped for it to be.

Though admittedly this is not a great play, I very much enjoyed it and thought that it was hilarious at times. The score is fantastic and it really shined last night with the full Encores orchestra, cast and chorus. Donna Murphy is sublime and I am very happy I finally got to see her live. The rest of the cast was also great, but I especially loved Ann Harada and Andréa Burns.

Can’t wait to return to another production at City Center (hopefully Love Life).

Jordan Catalano
#168Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/20/23 at 3:55pm

Donna as Norma would be great, but I left wondering Andrea Burns as Rose, when?

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#169Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 2:07am

I wanna hear a recording of that new opening number.  Through the bottom of the glass.  So melodic and lovely.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#170Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 7:43am

Broadway Flash said: "I wanna hear a recording of that new opening number. Through the bottom of the glass. So melodic and lovely."

I didn't realize that was a new Opening. When was it written and added?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#171Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 8:00am

I don’t know if it is new? Is it the original and not on the cast recording? The revised production has a new opening number “a sensible woman” I think. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#172Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:44am

About ten years ago, The Roundabout did a private reading of SUNSET BOULEVARD and Donna was Norma. My recollection was they were considering bringing over the Watermill production (which was an actor/musician concept for the show) that starred a wonderful Kathryn Evans in the UK.  A friend who saw the reading said Donna was wonderful, albeit that she seemed, at the time, a little young and fit for Norma, especially compared to the actor cast as Joe.

She would perhaps be even more suitable now.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Scarywarhol
#173Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:48am

"Through the Bottom of the Glass" was cut from the original--Angie mentions this in a TV interview. Surprised me because it seemed very much a part of the show and kind of crucial in introducing to the character and her worldview. Seems really weird that the businessmen would get the opening number in what opened on Broadway and honestly imagine it really hurt the show.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#174Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 3/21/23 at 10:41am

The original song list is really strange indeed- Aurelia’s first song is “Each Tomorrow Morning,” placed roughly where it is now, which is lovely but late and not really a great introduction to the character in the way that, say, Dolly and Mame get in their respective shows. The song list as presented at Encores make substantially more sense. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos