News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!- Page 9

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#200Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:50pm

Is the guy playing the lover Italian? He reads as a white guy from Kansas. I know Morrison was kind of controversial in the original for not being Italian. Just curious. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#201Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 4:03pm

RippedMan said: "Is the guy playing the lover Italian? He reads as a white guy from Kansas. I know Morrison was kind of controversial in the original for not being Italian. Just curious."

He’s from Arizona, which I guess is the US state equivalent to Italy. No idea of James D. Gish’s ancestry, but Gish seems to be a common German name.

Rob Houchen is similarly pale skin and played fabrizio in the recent concert production starring Renee Fleming, he was totally believable as an Italian. As long as he get the accent down, who cares.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#202Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 4:58pm

Well, people are up in arms nowadays if a person in a wheelchair on stage isn’t actually disabled. So it’s just interesting to me the things people get up in arms over. I don’t care either way. I’m all about letting actors act. 

chrishuyen
#203Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with D
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:16pm

I'm getting pretty excited for the Piazza cast.  And the rehearsal footage for Oliver looks great, what a fantastic season for Encores!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#204Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:17pm

Do you mean to tell me that La Famiglia Naccarelli are not played by Italians? Is Clara actually played by someone who was actually kicked in the head by a Shetland pony? If not I refuse to support this production. First Sean Hayes and now this?!?! What a disgrace!

verywellthensigh
#205Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 9:06pm

Enough!  We must take a stand!

Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#206Oliver ticket for 5/4, 7 pm
Posted: 4/28/23 at 11:13pm

They offered the part of Fabrizio to Fabio but his quote was too high.

JasonC3
#207Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 4/29/23 at 6:01am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "They offered the part of Fabrizio to Fabio but his quote was too high."

I am embarrassed that this caused me to immediately think of the next iteration of Broadway sponsorships and promotions: the part of "Febrezio" ... sponsored by Febreze.

Updated On: 4/29/23 at 06:01 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#208Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 4/29/23 at 6:06am

Call_me_jorge said: "RippedMan said: "Is the guy playing the lover Italian? He reads as a white guy from Kansas. I know Morrison was kind of controversial in the original for not being Italian. Just curious."

He’s from Arizona, which I guess is the US state equivalent to Italy. No idea of James D. Gish’s ancestry, but Gish seems to be a common German name.

Rob Houchen is similarly pale skin and played fabrizio in the recent concert production starring Renee Fleming, he was totally believable as an Italian. As long as he get the accent down, who cares.
"

What the hell are you even talking about? Italians are white

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#209Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 4/29/23 at 1:08pm

That second week of OLIVER! appears to be selling abysmally. I guess they're hoping for WOM to fill it? Or they had been hoping for a bigger star as Fagin?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#211Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 4/29/23 at 1:51pm

RippedMan said: "Is the guy playing the lover Italian? He reads as a white guy from Kansas. I know Morrison was kind of controversial in the original for not being Italian. Just curious."

laughLOLOL

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#212Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 10:55am

Did no one see the final dress of OLIVER last night? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#213Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:23am

Matt Rogers said: "Did no one see the final dress of OLIVER last night?"

I did. 

It’s a very fun and big production for Encores. Cast is uniformly excellent and it’s great to see Esparza onstage again. 

It was my first time seeing Oliver onstage, somehow (though we were keenly reminded during the pre show speeches that there hasn’t been a NY production in almost four decades). I was kind of surprised at how dated the show felt compared to its contemporaries. It’s extremely episodic, takes forever to get Oliver in with Fagin, and feels overstuffed with musical numbers that, while tuneful, often don’t go anywhere. The plot really only has stakes well into the second act, and then wraps up so quickly. I’m used to the movie adaptation, which makes very wise cuts and better integrates songs into the action (see: “Oom-Pah-Pah&rdquoEncores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

It was in very good shape for a final dress- and the production numbers are extremely polished, making this feel like a LORT production that blew its set budget on a full orchestra. The final sequence, however, definitely felt like it needed to be worked on (and I’m sure will be today). A lot happens in a short amount of time and it was just somewhat messy in its staging and lacked gravity and weight, and then it all feels anticlimactic. 

Debessonet’s seemed to have been reined in a bit with her direction here, which serves the production well. There is a “community ensemble” element in “Consider Yourself,” but it actually works very well and turns the number into a big showstopper. 

Benjamin Pajak is an adorable Oliver with a very strong singing voice. Lilli Cooper sounds fantastic as Nancy and has great rapport with the kids. Mary Testa and Brad Oscar wring every drop out of their comic relief roles. There is some excellent singing and dancing from the ensemble. 

Esparza is a wonderfully smarmy, effete, weaselly  Fagin who nevertheless oozes raggedy charm. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Voter
#214Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:29am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That second week of OLIVER! appears to be selling abysmally. I guess they're hoping for WOM to fill it? Or they had been hoping for a bigger star as Fagin?"

Besides my local middle production of Oliver, I have never seen a professional or live production of this so that I why I bought a ticket.

I used the promo code DMOLIVER or OLIVERDM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#215Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:32am

Jordan Catalano said: "Wasn’t NPH originally going to do it?"

As far as I’ve heard, it’s been Esparza for months prior to the casting announcement. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#216Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:40am

Kad said: "Matt Rogers said: "Did no one see the final dress of OLIVER last night?"

I did.

It’s a very fun and big production for Encores. Cast is uniformly excellent and it’s great to see Esparza onstage again.

It was my first time seeing Oliver onstage, somehow (though we were keenly reminded during the pre show speeches that there hasn’t been a NY production in almost four decades). I was kind of surprised at how dated the show felt compared to its contemporaries. It’s extremely episodic, takes forever to get Oliver in with Fagin, and feels overstuffed with musical numbers that, while tuneful, often don’t go anywhere. The plot really only has stakes well into the second act, and then wraps up so quickly. I’m used to the movie adaptation, which makes very wise cuts and better integrates songs into the action (see: “Oom-Pah-Pah&rdquoEncores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!.

It was in very good shape for a final dress- and the production numbers are extremely polished, making this feel like a LORT production that blew its set budget on a full orchestra. The final sequence, however, definitely felt like it needed to be worked on (and I’m sure will be today). A lot happens in a short amount of time and it was just somewhat messy in its staging and lacked gravity and weight, and then it all feels anticlimactic.

Debessonet’s seemed to have been reined in a bit with her direction here, which serves the production well. There is a “community ensemble” element in “Consider Yourself,” but it actually works very well and turns the number into a big showstopper.

Benjamin Pajak is an adorable Oliver with a very strong singing voice. Lilli Cooper sounds fantastic as Nancy and has great rapport with the kids. Mary Testa and Brad Oscar wring every drop out of their comic relief roles. There is some excellent singing and dancing from the ensemble.

Esparza is a wonderfully smarmy, effete, weaselly Fagin who nevertheless oozes raggedy charm.
"

Thanks for the detailed report. I'm glad I asked. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#217Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:08pm

Kad said: "Matt Rogers said: "Did no one see the final dress of OLIVER last night?"

I did.

It was my first time seeing Oliver onstage, somehow (though we were keenly reminded during the pre show speeches that there hasn’t been a NY production in almost four decades). I was kind of surprised at how dated the show felt compared to its contemporaries. It’s extremely episodic, takes forever to get Oliver in with Fagin, and feels overstuffed with musical numbers that, while tuneful, often don’t go anywhere. The plot really only has stakes well into the second act, and then wraps up so quickly. I’m used to the movie adaptation, which makes very wise cuts and better integrates songs into the action (see: “Oom-Pah-Pah&rdquoEncores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!.

Esparza is a wonderfully smarmy, effete, weaselly Fagin who nevertheless oozes raggedy charm.
"

What was the running time?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#218Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:15pm

It's a little under  2:20. Curtain went up around 7:38 or so and I was out on the street by 10.

JSquared2
#219Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 2:08pm

I was also there last night, and I would add that Julian Lerner is giving a star making performance as Artful Dodger.  Esparza seems to still be finding his way around -- and trying hard not to imitate Ron Moody's portrayal in the film.  Lilli Cooper is in amazing voice (even though the best song in the show, "As Long As He Needs Me", doesn't play very well in our current times).  As a period piece, it's great.   Some of the staging (e.g. "I'd Do Anything" ) is lifted directly from the film -- but it still looks terrific.

This is definitely one of the better Encores productions in recent years.

Updated On: 5/3/23 at 02:08 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#220Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 3:06pm

Lerner is indeed excellent as Dodger. I didn’t mean to omit him- the show entirely sidelines Dodger in the second act (again, a fault of the episodic nature of the plot), which led him to slip my mind 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#221Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 4:43pm

So happy to hear that the running time is 2 hours and twenty minutes. For some reason I thought it would be closer to three hours. As I recall the musical picks up when Fagin enters. I am seeing it tonight so I will report.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#222Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 5:43pm

When I did Oliver! back in 2010, our production ran about two hours or so.

BETTY22
#223Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 5/3/23 at 6:03pm

Did anyone else note the spelling mistake - it's Cameron Mackintosh! OUCH 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport

Videos