News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 23

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#550Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:36pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "WestEndGal said: "Sutton Ross said: "I just hope she has a big, commanding voice

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_d1mJbVagA
"

Wow, I thought her voice would be stronger, but in this performance it’s very nasally and indistinct.”

1. She’s lip-syncing to a pre-recording.

2. Singing live and projecting to an audience iscompletely different. This video was done for an intimate tight shot on a close camera. That natural singing voice WAS intentional. She wasn’t “performing” it full out to the balcony.

3. She, like everyone who’d be singing the FUNNY GIRL score, will be getting more vocal coaching prior to the start of rehearsals. Even LuPone gets vocal coaching, which is why she’s never lost her voice.
"

Okay, comparing her to Lupone is silly. Sure everyone gets vocal coaching, but you have to work with whatcha got. And we can see what she's got. The coach isn't going to turn her into a Lupone if it's not there. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#551Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:39pm

Just got a ticket to see this mess. Can’t wait to see the audience members they hire to give her a standing ovation after parade to create excitement

Kip4
#552Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:49pm

RippedMan said: "Okay, comparing her to Lupone is silly. Sure everyone gets vocal coaching, but you have to work with whatcha got. And we can see what she's got. The coach isn't going to turn her into a Lupone if it's not there."

They're not comparing her to LuPone.  They're saying Beanie will great coaching, just like every star of a Broadway musical. 

gibsons2
#553Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:51pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "WestEndGal said: "Sutton Ross said: "I just hope she has a big, commanding voice

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_d1mJbVagA
"

Wow, I thought her voice would be stronger, but in this performance it’s very nasally and indistinct.”

1. She’s lip-syncing to a pre-recording.

2. Singing live and projecting to an audience iscompletely different. This video was done for an intimate tight shot on a close camera. That natural singing voice WAS intentional. She wasn’t “performing” it full out to the balcony.

3. She, like everyone who’d be singing the FUNNY GIRL score, will be getting more vocal coaching prior to the start of rehearsals. Even LuPone gets vocal coaching, which is why she’s never lost her voice.
"

But you can clearly hear her range, and she is not a strong singer. No amount of coaching could fix that. She might have the right personality for this role,  so we will see. I got an inexpensive ticket, just cheap enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#554Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:54pm

Brody is just trying to justify dropping a grand on a show that might not be good. It's very amusing. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#555Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:07pm

Spent so much money on this today. Can’t wait!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#556Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:18pm

They've cast Fanny Brice, not Barbra Streisand. If you ever go into this show, no matter who's leading it, wanting to see Barbra, you've already missed the point. Just turn on the OBCR if that's what you want. Beanie is perfect for the role of Fanny Brice.

I got a ticket for the first preview and I'm bursting with excitement.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

SoCalDirector
#557Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:31pm

RippedMan said: "Yea that performance was any girl singing karaoke. Nothing interesting about it.

Why couldn't they get like Sara Bareilles. She'd knock it out.
"

Are you serious?  It's called Funny Girl.  She is in her 20's for most of the plot.    A 41 year old actor?   This is the story of the rages to riches rich of a Jewish comedian/singer.  Whoever plays this role has to be convincing as the character to make this show work.  I saw Pia Zadora as Fanny so I do know.

This is not a concert. They did actually have a Broadway Funny Girl concert some years back.

Miles Robert Mills

gibsons2
#558Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:31pm

CindersGolightly said: "They'vecastFanny Brice, not Barbra Streisand. If you ever go into this show, no matter who's leading it, wanting to see Barbra, you've already missed the point. Just turn on the OBCR if that's what you want. Beanie is perfect for the role of Fanny Brice.

"

Well, this is first revival, so naturally people will compare her to the original Fanny. People have very high expectations for it and are very excited to see it. This is Broadway, after all, where people pay top dollar to see a performance and expect top talent. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#559Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:36pm

CindersGolightly said: "They'vecastFanny Brice, not Barbra Streisand. If you ever go into this show, no matter who's leading it, wanting to see Barbra, you've already missed the point. Just turn on the OBCR if that's what you want. Beanie is perfect for the role of Fanny Brice.

"

I hate the "well he/she's not [whoever they saw a million years ago or heard on a cast recording]" that seems to happen with so many revivals. Seems to happen more with Broadway audiences than say West End, but because it's not a carbon-copy, they prefer to judge the actors rather then truly give them a chance to justify their casting. Beanie is an unexpected choice but I'm excited for her and to see the show in May. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#560Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:39pm

I hope she’s completely different than Barbra so that people can just enjoy her take on Fanny. And if you don’t like her, than just stare at Ramin for a few hours and you’ll feel better.

But going into this already disappointed that you’re not seeing Streisand is such a waste of your money and your time.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#561Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:45pm

Beanie featured in Variety today, she seems so excited!

Beanie Feldstein on ‘Funny Girl’ and Putting Her Own Spin on a Role Barbra Streisand Made Famous

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#562Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 2:58pm

Thanks for the code!  Even if it is a hot mess (and I'm not of the camp that thinks it will be) at 39 bucks a pop, I'll be able to handle it!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#563Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:01pm

I'm not looking for a copy of Streisand, but I do want someone who can sing the bejesus out of the score. I think New York audiences will feel similarly.  I keep thinking about how unforgiving New York audiences were of Elena Roger in EVITA. Her authenticity couldn't circumvent the vocal memories of her Broadway predecessors. I really do hope Beanie is sitting on some some mad vocal chops.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Sutton Ross
#564Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:06pm

I keep thinking about how unforgiving New York audiences were of Elena Roger in EVITA.

Considering her take was "Nazi Minnie Mouse" I couldn't blame anyone for their views on it. Jesus Christ. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#565Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:08pm

I don't need a Barbara. Just a capable singer. It's 2021. There are people who can do both comedy and sing. 

gibsons2
#566Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:13pm

QueenAlice said: "I'm not looking for a copy of Streisand, but I do want someone who can sing the bejesus out of the score. I think New York audiences will feel similarly. I keep thinking about how unforgiving New York audiences were of Elena Roger in EVITA. Her authenticity couldn't circumvent the vocal memories of her Broadway predecessors. I really do hope Beanie is sitting on some some mad vocal chops."

Thank you. Why would everyone think that we expect someone who LOOKS like Barbra? Of course not. I think Beanie's looks and personality are actually perfect for the role. That picture of hers in velvet coat and gloves is stunning. But where are the pipes? I hope all of us doubters are wrong. 

Kip4
#567Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:15pm

People realize that regardless of how she sings she is winning the Tony, right? 

hearthemsing22
#568Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:47pm

bway0 said: "Well. Looks like I’m going to see this just for Ramin with the hopes of Beanie’s understudy is on the day I go. "

Nice. So you won’t even give her a chance? I hope you’re not an actor. That’s no way to treat someone you haven’t even seen in a role yet. 

BCfitasafiddle
#569Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:49pm

It's still hard to believe that this is happening. I'm excited to give Beanie a chance. I have a feeling we will be surprised by her.

hearthemsing22
#570Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:56pm

I truly hope none of the people saying “I hope I get her understudy!” are performers. You haven’t even SEEN her perform and you’re already judging? How would you feel if someone said that about your performance that you worked SO hard on? Like you could play Fanny. So shut it. Be kind.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#571Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 3:57pm

Sutton Ross said: "Brody is just trying to justify dropping a grand on a show that might not be good. It's very amusing."

God, how I love you.  I honestly look forward to your responses.  There’s always so much truth in them, no matter how impossible they are to ignore.  cheeky

bway0
#572Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 4:03pm

hearthemsing22 said: "bway0 said: "Well. Looks like I’m going to see this just for Ramin with the hopes of Beanie’s understudy is on the day I go. "

Nice. So you won’t even give her a chance? I hope you’re not an actor. That’s no way to treat someone you haven’t even seen in a role yet.
"

Oh please don’t start. Have you actually read through this thread? 

hearthemsing22
#573Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 4:16pm

I have. I’ve seen enough to know yes, there are people who support Beanie. There are also people who want to see a show where they can laugh at how bad someone is? That people wish they’d see someone else in the role without even seeing the original person perform the role? I’m saying those people who talk about Beanies understudy are being completely unfair to her. This isn’t directed at everyone-only those making those comments.

Sutton Ross
#574Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 4:44pm

On a side note though, if she has an alternate, I hope the production lists the days and times the other woman is on. I appreciated that with My Fair Lady and more recently, Tina. 

Videos