News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 20

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

brdway411
#475THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:05pm

I loved TBV so much. So happy it kicked ass.

carrienations
#476THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Sondheimite said: "I'm baffled that anyone could give Bruce anything but a A+. It was intimate, poignant, real, and moving."

I could not agree more! It was poetry. Not flashy, but so personal and heartfelt. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#477THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

So only 8 shows won awards and only 1 new play actually won anything, what a terrible season it's been. SpongeBob deserved more to me but oh well.

Musicals
10 - The Band's Visit
2 - Carousel (revival)
1 - My Fair Lady (revival)
1 - Once on this Island (revival)
1 - SpongeBob

Plays
6 - Harry Potter
3 - Angels in America (revival)
2 - There Tall Women (revival)

Impossible2
#478THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:06pm

Shh_413 said: "Impossible2 said: "Shh_413 said: "Realized that Mean Girls is tied with Scottsboro Boys for biggest shutout. 12-0"

It could still win Best Musical...
"

Hahahaha. I'm sorry. No.
"

Right you are THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#479THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

This is the board for people who love theater, and the thread for discussing recognition for excellence in theater. I am on exactly the right board. I will not keep my morals and ideals in the closet any more than you will.

Morals? So those of us who believe in live and let live, inclusivity, kindness are immoral, by your yardstick?  It's disturbing that you claim to be a theater fan yet are entirely unaffected by its power to touch hearts and open minds.

non-stop26 Profile Photo
non-stop26
#480THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

EllieRose2 said: "Tony's? Its Tonys."

Haha sorry autocorrect doesn’t understand theatre THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#481THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:07pm

richsmo said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "richsmo said: "JBC3 said: "Theatre-goers who cannot handle someone thanking his husband should probably stay at home lest they accidentally come to a show that will more deeply challenge their delicate sensibilities."

How about "deeply offend their religious values" ? I guess there no Tolerance in this "inclusive community" for that kind of diversity. It's not called bigotry, it's called keep your private affairs private.If you cannot conceive of the possibility of someone sincerely believing that gay marriage is wrong, then maybe you are the delicate one, snowflake.

"

You're in the wrong board and wrong community. Asking gay people to not thank their husbands and wives is like telling the straight people to not acknowledge their spouses and children. If a white person thanked his/her black spouse or vice versa would you be saying the same thing? People used to use religious arguments to argue for slavery and against integration as well. Gay marriage is legal in all fifty states and non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation exists in 21 states and in more cities.
"

This is the board for people who love theater, and the thread for discussing recognition for excellence in theater. I am on exactly the right board. I will not keep my morals and ideals in the closet any more than you will. And I doappreciate what you are saying, that it's not reasonable to ask gay people to not mention their loved ones. I'll think about it some more. It's equally not reasonable to expect me to be able to share the Tonys with my young kids if men make it all a big show about singing to their husbands. One day my kids will be older and more sophisticated and able to understand and empathize with all people, all of whomare made God's image.

The racial thing is a straw man argument. Religion has nothing to say about the kind of racial intermarriage you are talking about.

Theatre is a self-professed open community, where outcasts are welcome. As a person who is religious I am definitely anoutcast in secular society, and I would expect more from you all, more inclusivity and tolerance, than I've seen so far.

Didn’t man create god in his own image?

Frenchbacon
#482THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:07pm

Sara and Josh were OUTSTANDING as hosts. The opening and closing numbers were phenomenal!!

CedricOates
#483THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:09pm

I personally wished more musicals were represented. Not taking anything away from The Band’s Visit, but my little heart wished everyone got Tonys <3

Impossible2
#484THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:09pm

Broadway Joe said: "So only 8 shows won awards and only 1 new play actually won anything, what a terrible season it's been. SpongeBob deserved more to me but oh well.

Musicals
10 - The Band's Visit
2 - Carousel (revival)
1 - My Fair Lady (revival)
1 - Once on this Island (revival)
1 - SpongeBob

Plays
6 - Harry Potter
3 - Angels in America (revival)
2 - There Tall Women (revival)
"

They were all great shows though (apart from Carousel) so not so bad.

Last year was just an exceptional year for musicals, but there were also just as many complete dogs.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#485THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:11pm

Sondheimite said: "South Fl Marc said: "Dear Sondheimite - you are horse**** I sincerely hope all naysayers heads explode

"

Do you know me? Why would you launch words like this at me because you don't agree with my opinions on theatre? You are the type of person that makes theatre a pretentious place where people are scared to join the community because of backlash from fVckweeds who think that they are gatekeepers.

But since this is how you communicate, I'll mirror:
Grow up and I hope they find your ugly head during your next prostate examination, you bitter old claptrap.
"

Honey, tomorrow, I won't remember you at all. You said Tony Shaloub winning was horses&t, and I said the same thing about your opinion. The Band's Visit won a lot of awards, get over it. But in the end, I don't care what you think or say.

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 11:11 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#486THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

briansb said: "Congrats Band's Visit! Best of the year by far, and one of the best originals in awhile. All deserved."

THIS!!! ^ ^ ^

After Eight
#487THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Couldn't bring myself to watch, knowing the outcome was going to be grim, grim, grim.  Glad I didn't. The outcome was grim, grim,grim.

The tuneless, crashing bore received the expected coronation by the sages known as the Tony Award voters. 

The critics had already hyped the thing to the nth degree, got it to transfer to Broadway, and got it to to play to sellout audiences. Then a funny thing happened. Word of mouth started to spread that the tuneless bore was ..... a tuneless bore. And then the critics' darling stopped selling out.

No way that could stand. The eminent sages known as Tony Award voters came riding to the rescue,  showering it with awards galore. Awards that will once again lure unsuspecting members of the public to buy tickets to something they will hate, and push the thing to sellout status once again. That is, until word of mouth spreads anew.

The critics, the Tony voters, the theatrical elite must be so pleased this evening! They win once again.

Don't they always?

Unfortunately, the public loses. Once again.

And the theatre, too.  

dougs9797
#488THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:12pm

Worst Tony Awards broadcast ever!

broadwaysfguy
#489THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:12pm

so so happy for everyone involved with the bands visit
the stunning gem of a musical

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#490THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:13pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Did Lauren Ambrose mouth "Big Deal" after Once on this Island performed?"

Did she really?!?!?

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#491THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

South Fl Marc said: "Sondheimite said: "South Fl Marc said: "Dear Sondheimite - you are horse**** I sincerely hope all naysayers heads explode

"

Do you know me? Why would you launch words like this at me because you don't agree with my opinions on theatre? You are the type of person that makes theatre a pretentious place where people are scared to join the community because of backlash from fVckweeds who think that they are gatekeepers.

But since this is how you communicate, I'll mirror:
Grow up and I hope they find your ugly head during your next prostate examination, you bitter old claptrap.
"

Honey, tomorrow, I won't remember you at all. You said You said Tony Shalooub winning was horses&t, and I said the same thing about your opinion. The Band's Visit won a lot of awards, get over it. But in the end, I don't care what you think or say.
"

You are twisting, honey.

I said Ethan not winning was horsesh!t.  I would have said that if any of the other nominees won.  I'm sorry my opinion of a theatre awards show angered you to the point where you had to call me horsesh!t but you honestly DO care what I think to engage me in such a way.  Your logic is all over the place and you obviously have issues in your personality that you need to get to the bottom of that cause you to behave in a way such as this,

Let me tell you something that might change your little life:
People can have different opinions than you.  

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/10/18 at 11:13 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#492THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

There they go again. I saw The Band's Visit. Very admirable. But hardly a show that is going to bring in the outsider's money to pay for the expensive productions. This "musical" is more like a play with incidental music than a true Broadway musical. The effort required by Shaloub to appear in this show, and he was excellent, requires some fraction of the effort of a leading actor in a full Broadway musical. Billy and Higgins. When not on stage singing or acting, they are undergoing rapid costume changes. The actresses have to whisper all day to preserve their voices for the night.

The Band's Visit was a safe choice and the choice of its leading actor and actress for the awards does not reward those with the most talent who trained the longest to do the most difficult.

Impossible2
#493THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

After Eight said: "

Couldn't bring myself to watch, knowing the outcome was going to be grim, grim, grim. Glad I didn't. The outcome was grim, grim,grim.

The tuneless, crashing bore received the expected coronation by the sages known as the Tony Award voters.

The critics had already hyped the thing to the nth degree, got it to transfer to Broadway, and got it to to play to sellout audiences. Then a funny thing happened. Word of mouth started to spread that the tuneless bore was ..... a tuneless bore. And then the critics' darling stopped selling out.

No way that could stand. The eminent sages known as Tony Award voters came riding to the rescue, showering it with awards galore. Awards that will once again lure unsuspecting members of the public to buy tickets to something they will hate, and push the thing to sellout status once again. That is, until word of mouth spreads anew.

The critics, the Tony voters, the theatrical elite must be so pleased this evening! They win once again.

Don't they always?

Unfortunately, the public loses. Once again.

And the theatre, too.
"

It was the best of the bunch, deal with it x

Oak2
#494THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:15pm

Overall a good awards show that had a strong first half and then kind of lost its sizzle as time went on, as all the best shows were earlier in the presentation (I gave my opinions on most of them in an earlier post). I personally didn't like Springsteen at all, but that's because I personally don't like him or his music in the first place, so I really don't care about his life, so I just zoned out for his whole thing. And I forgot to mention Summer - which was pretty much just ok. 

Groban and Bareilles were great hosts - not as full knockout funny and amazing as some previous hosts, but they did a great job, and of course had a lot of their beautiful singing. I don't know if I'd want them to host again, but I liked the job they did. 

A little bit sad that it's clear once again that the Tony voters' views do not align with my tastes at all, which just means that, when selecting a show, that Tony Awards do not deserve to be a factor in consideration for me personally since they don't match my personal needs. The performances were the deciders, and as previously noted, from those performances, I definitely want to see MFL, OOTI, and SpongeBob, would be ok seeing Frozen and maybe Carousel on tour (though still iffy about the director cuts on Carousel), a soft pass on Mean Girls, and a hard pass on The Band's Visit. 

AGain, I'm glad TBV got its awards that it clearly deserves due to the large number of people who do love it, but I do kind of wish there was a bit more sharing of the love. Oh well, though. I just hope SpongeBob does great on tour, it does sound (and look from what I saw) like a fantastic show that deserves more support than it's been getting!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#495THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

I was very surprised that Ethan Slater did not receive the Tony.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

bwayobsessed
#496THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

dougs9797 said: "Worst Tony Awards broadcast ever!

I can't disagree more. I thought it was pretty fantastic. I thought Sara and Josh were great hosts: very pleasant. Once on this Island and Band's Visit gave stand out performances and quite a few wins that surprised me. Also the Parkland segment was so moving.

moira8
#497THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Miles2Go2 said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Did Lauren Ambrose mouth "Big Deal" after Once on this Island performed?"

Did she really?!?!?
"

No, she didn't. Couldn't replay it anymore, but I thought she said something like "Amazing". 

brdway411
#498THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

dmwnc1959 said: "briansb said: "Congrats Band's Visit! Best of the year by far, and one of the best originals in awhile. All deserved."

THIS!!! ^ ^ ^
"

It's not original. It's based on a movie  

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#499THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:16pm

Of course the pretentious bore swept the awards. What a lackluster season.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Videos