News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 21

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#500THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:17pm

After Eight said: "

Couldn't bring myself to watch, knowing the outcome was going to be grim, grim, grim. Glad I didn't. The outcome was grim, grim,grim.

The tuneless, crashing bore received the expected coronation by the sages known as the Tony Award voters.

The critics had already hyped the thing to the nth degree, got it to transfer to Broadway, and got it to to play to sellout audiences. Then a funny thing happened. Word of mouth started to spread that the tuneless bore was ..... a tuneless bore. And then the critics' darling stopped selling out.

No way that could stand. The eminent sages known as Tony Award voters came riding to the rescue, showering it with awards galore. Awards that will once again lure unsuspecting members of the public to buy tickets to something they will hate, and push the thing to sellout status once again. That is, until word of mouth spreads anew.

The critics, the Tony voters, the theatrical elite must be so pleased this evening! They win once again.

Don't they always?

Unfortunately, the public loses. Once again.

And the theatre, too.
"

Wow.  I actually 100% agree with After Eight on this one.

Broadway World's Fireman.

richsmo
#501THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

pacificnorthwest said: "This is the board for people who love theater, and the thread for discussing recognition for excellence in theater. I am on exactly the right board. I will not keep my morals and ideals in the closet any more than you will.

Morals? So those of us who believe in live and let live, inclusivity,kindness are immoral, by your yardstick?It's disturbing that you claim to be a theater fan yet are entirelyunaffected by its power to touch hearts and open minds.
"

I actually came to believe in a Higher Power through my theater experiences -- exactly as you state: because I was affected and touched by it. I believe in live and let live, inclusivity, and kindness. Not sure where you got the opposite idea. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#502THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Frenchbacon said: "In my opinion based on the disappointing performance, TBV did NOT deserve Best Musical. But, as always, the ATW can never be relied on."

The performance - Omar Sharif from TBV showcased Lena and must been seen in the show and not out of context as performed on the TONYS.

Did you see the show?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#503THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

After Eight said: "

Couldn't bring myself to watch, knowing the outcome was going to be grim, grim, grim. Glad I didn't. The outcome was grim, grim,grim.

The tuneless, crashing bore received the expected coronation by the sages known as the Tony Award voters.

The critics had already hyped the thing to the nth degree, got it to transfer to Broadway, and got it to to play to sellout audiences. Then a funny thing happened. Word of mouth started to spread that the tuneless bore was ..... a tuneless bore. And then the critics' darling stopped selling out.

No way that could stand. The eminent sages known as Tony Award voters came riding to the rescue, showering it with awards galore. Awards that will once again lure unsuspecting members of the public to buy tickets to something they will hate, and push the thing to sellout status once again. That is, until word of mouth spreads anew.

The critics, the Tony voters, the theatrical elite must be so pleased this evening! They win once again.

Don't they always?

Unfortunately, the public loses. Once again.

And the theatre, too.
"

I saw it and loved it. I’m part of that public. I’d see it again if I didn’t already have tickets to “My Fair Lady” and “Hello, Dolly!” with Bette Midler. Your taste isn’t my taste. At least I have some. 

Impossible2
#504THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Elfuhbuh said: "Of course the pretentious bore swept the awards. What a lackluster season."

What was pretentious about it?

brdway411
#505THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:18pm

Glad they went with small, subtle and smart this year.

After Eight
#506THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:19pm

Impossible2 wrote:

"It was the best of the bunch, deal with it x"

Actually, it was the worst of the bunch, by far. And that includes Escape to Margaritaville and Summer.

How I pity those poor souls who will now be lured into wasting their money and time on this.

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 11:19 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#507THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:19pm

brdway411 said: "It's not original. It's based on a movie"

I knew that, so isn’t “Frozen” and TV’s “Sponge Bob”. They lost. 

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 11:19 PM

Impossible2
#508THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:21pm

After Eight said: "Impossible2 wrote:

"It was the best of the bunch, deal with it x"

Actually, it was the worst of the bunch, by far. And that includes Escaoe to Margaritaville and Summer.

How I pity those poor souls who will now be lured into wasting their money and time on this.
"

Gurl...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#509THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:22pm

THE BAND'S VISIT winning had more to do with the other nominated musicals just not being that good. I still say had COME FROM AWAY or GREAT COMET opened this season instead, they would have won Best Musical.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

After Eight
#510THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:22pm

Elphubuh wrote:

"Of course the pretentious bore swept the awards."

Yes, that's a given nowadays.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#511THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:23pm

I disagree, The Band's Visit still would've taken Best Musical over Come From Away and The Great Comet.

Impossible2
#512THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:24pm

ACL2006 said: "THE BAND'S VISIT winning had more to do with the other nominated musicals just not being that good. I still say had COME FROM AWAY or GREAT COMET opened this season instead, they would have won Best Musical."

Comet would've deserved it more, but I still don't know that it would've won. It was every bit as decisive as TBV is. CFA doesn't deserve a best musical win.

Oak2
#513THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:24pm

Robbie2 said: "Frenchbacon said: "In my opinion based on the disappointing performance, TBV did NOT deserve Best Musical. But, as always, the ATW can never be relied on."

The performance - Omar Sharif from TBV showcased Lena and must been seen in the show and not out of context as performed on the TONYS.

Did you see the show?
"

We shouldn't have to. As he already said, his opinion is based on the Tony performances - which is what many people use to decide whether a show is worth seeing. If based on that performance someone decides they wouldn't like the show, they are free to. Or would you seriously suggest people should pay hundreds of dollars to see something that they already know they're going to dislike based on a portion they've already seen?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#514THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:25pm

It's funny how some people have the gall to appoint themselves representatives of "the people". I don't remember a ballot being handed to me asking me to elect a BWW member as the voice for the people. A lot of the shows some say "the people" loved end up closing and fail to sell out as well.

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 11:25 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#515THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Elegance101 said: "Are we really asking a theatre award show to be less gay?"

A theatre awards show should have no sexual preference. In what other awards shows is it highlighted? The public, your customers, really would rather not know.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#516THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Beyond ridiculously thrilled for The Band's Visit. Very disappointing night for My Fair Lady, but I'll take the overload of Band's Visit love THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#517THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Some thoughts:

Alex Newell & Caissie Levy win the night, showing up the nominators.

The Band's Visit will have the distinction as one of the most decorated best musicals, that people will forget.  Regional theatres will not be producing this in years to come.

Tomorrow's headline will be De Niro's.  And the awards will not have mattered.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#518THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:27pm

Now I've seen everything. People want to erase the gays from American theatre. Most people are ok with gay people in 2018. 

brdway411
#519THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:27pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I disagree, The Band's Visit still would've taken Best Musical over Come From Away and The Great Comet."

I am not a fan of Comet, but would love to have seen CFA vs TBV. 2 of my favs. 

Impossible2
#520THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:28pm

Tag said: "

The Band's Visit will have the distinction asone of the most decoratedbest musicals, that people will forget. Regional theatres will not be producing this in years to come.

"

Good, I'd rather not see a great musical destroyed by terrible amateurs x

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#521THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:29pm

Tag said: "Some thoughts:

Alex Newell & Caissie Levy win the night, showing up thenominators.
"

Agree with you on Newell, not much on Levy. For me, she redeemed the show after FTFTIF gave a weak performance.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#522THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:30pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I disagree, The Band's Visit still would've taken Best Musical over Come From Away and The Great Comet."

I agree.

Just give the world Love.

JBC3
#523THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:30pm

OlBlueEyes said: "In what other awards shows is it highlighted? The public, your customers, really would rather not know."

Give me a break. Every single awards show where a man thanks his wife or a woman thanks her husband. That is where. And that is most of them.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#524THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:31pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Beyond ridiculously thrilled forThe Band's Visit. Very disappointing night forMy Fair Lady, but I'll take the overload ofBand's Visit love THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD"

I'm with you BC laugh

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos