News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 10

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#225The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 4:13pm

Of course, it is merely his opinion that Kelli is just "poised and fully capable in The King and I, and sings with lovely clarity. It is an admirably classy performance, but not an especially exciting one".

I for one found her take on Anna to be invigorating and much more imbued with passion than past Anna's I've seen.  I also wasn't as moved by Cheno as most were.  I found her to be doing her typical schtick.  Just because she's finally in a show that calls for that schtick doesn't mean she's doing anything extraordinary.  If that were the correct logic all the time, Cheno would have won for Wicked, Bernadette would have been nominated and won for Follies, and Laura Osnes would have won for Cinderella.  Just because you are the right type for a role doesn't mean that you do anything outside of your comfort zone to make you particularly noteworthy.

Now before everyone fires back with "but that's exactly what Kelli is doing in The King and I... her usual schtick, etc....", I would argue that she doesn't have a usual schtick unless you count singing melodically and embodying a character as schtick.  To me, Kelli is acting.  Kristin, on the other hand, is playing Kristin.  But hey, that's just my opinion, and everyone is obviously entitled to one of their own.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#226The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 4:48pm

I think people are underestimating the acting prowess Kristin Chenoweth is displaying on that stage and in that role by dismissing it as her schtick or as "flashy". That sort of comedy is far from easy and requires a lot of thought and insight, and Chenoweth makes it look effortless.

Updated On: 5/27/15 at 04:48 PM

UnwoundFantasies
#227The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 4:49pm

BJH, I could not have said that any better. Fully agree.

O'Hara doesn't have a schtick, everything she's done on Broadway has been incredibly diverse, and she fully embodies each character both musically and dramatically. While Anna isn't the "hardest" role musically, Kelli is giving a beautifully nuanced performance in acting.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#228The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 5:21pm

Bjh- I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#229The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 11:18pm

Having just returned from seeing OTTC, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Cheno in this role.  Funny, charming, her wonderful voice and great comedic timing.  Totally derserving of a nomination. I found the show tiresome and she was the only thing I really enjoyed about it.   However, by tomorrow I will have put my Playbill in my binder and it will be a distant memory. 

Kelli's performance has been branded in my memory since I saw it two weeks ago.  So moving it gave me goosebumps.  I will not see Chita before Tony time so for me it's Kelli all the way. 

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#230The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 11:24pm

I am still firmly in Camp Kelli, but Adam Feldman of Time Out NY just declared for Team Kristin, and I'm afraid his side may win.

TIME OUT NY: Give Kristin Chenoweth the Tony Award she deserves

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#231The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 11:31pm

PJ, Feldman's article (posted on the previous page of this thread) is what sparked today's edition of this ongoing conversation.  I'm afraid his side will win too, but I'm certainly not in agreement with much of what he said.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#232The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/27/15 at 11:39pm

Sorry. I missed that.

theatreguy12
#233The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:41am

It all comes down to personal opinion.

There are those who don't care for KC, so they'll minimize her accomplishments as being a schtick that comes natural to her. Therefore, they'll play down her performance as not being a big deal.  This is because they don't care for her and hence don't want her to win.

Conversely, others will see Anna as a relatively straightforward role that any decent actress with good acting skills and a good voice should be able to handle.  And if you're a Broadway actress, that nuance better be there.

The two actresses are just different, and the roles they're playing are different.  KC is vivacious and animated; KO is more subdued and low key.  Their roles largely match these personas.

Some are turned off by the former and prefer the latter.

It doesn't mean what KC is doing is easy or should be minimized though, IMO. 

Nor should KO's performance.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#234The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 1:16am

Adam Feldman is the biggest fan girl/asshole I've ever seen. Choose one and be consistent. I do hope Kristin will win though...

I want Kelli to win in a big new broadway hit musical

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#235The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 11:06am

theatreguy, that was perfectly put and I have nothing to add to that except to agree and say that I thought both gave beautiful performances in great shows but that I do think at the end of the day, Kristin is more deserving this year, and that I want Kelli to win for a performance where she can truely show off her many gifts, much like she did in Bridges last year. I don't think her performance in The King and I is the highlight of her career (so far), and winning a Tony would make it out to be that. It is, however, for Kristin.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#236The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:06pm

I disagree with Adam Feldman's opinion of Kelli's performance.  

I disagree with every word.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#237The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:17pm

Having seen both Kristin and Chita yesterday, I firmly believe the award is Kristin's to lose. She is working like gangbusters up on that stage and I would be shocked if the most dynamo performance of her career wasn't recognized.

That being said, I could forsee two scenarios happening that would not result in Kristin winning:

- Kristin and Kelli split the vote, with Chita winning (which would still make me happy).

- Kristin and Chita split the vote, with the award going to Kelli or (to a lesser extent) Beth Malone. (Sorry, but Leanne Cope is not happening)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 5/28/15 at 12:17 PM

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#238The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:21pm

I've seen both Kelli and Kristin (sadly, I missed The Visit). I enjoyed both shows immensely, but I agree with those on Team Kelli, even though I do think Kristin as of right now has a bigger chance of winning the Tony. I was just listening to the OTTC cast recording earlier today, and Kristin's voice is incredibly showcased in those songs. 

That being said, I think Kelli's take on Anna will stick with me for a long time. Her portrayal was strong and beautiful, and I loved every second of it. I've followed Kristin throughout the years, and it was hard not to see Kristin and not Lily on stage. I feel like Kelli's portrayal of Anna is more "acted" than KC, who, at times (and to me), feels like she's just playing a hyperbolic version of herself.

Both (and Chita, and Beth) very deserving.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

MOUSTACHA Profile Photo
MOUSTACHA
#239The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 1:39pm

I wonder if the fact that KO should have won last year (and would have if BoMC had caught on and stayed running, IMO) has bled over into this season.  Most of the reasons I read are basically the same reasons she should have won last year.  She's always going to do well in these Roger/Hammerstein rolls because she is so physically and vocal suited for them, but I can't say her performance this year was that of Bridges - which was far more artistic, vocally impressive, and took more acting chops, by far. 

The wonderful thing about this season is that the competition is so high.  I mean, we're arguing over two performances that in any other average year would easily win the award.  That said, I think if you look at the performances objectively, rather than comparing the people, or the history, or the anything else - just score the two in a vacuum and compare - Kristin should win.  It's just a benchmark performance.  Kelli excelled in a part, perhaps more than anyone currently alive could do it.  Kristin is owning it.

As Barbara Cook is quoted in saying to KC in regard to Cunégonde in Candide (and what Judy Kaye/Madelin Kahn [if she were alive] would say today), "That part was mine! [in a menacing tone]... and now it's yours [sweetly]." 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#240The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/28/15 at 1:45pm

Chita will sadly join Tonya in the "Wicked Ladies Who Took Our Tony Awards" table at the after party.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#241The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:01pm

And here's David Cote's pro-O'Hara response to Adam Feldman's pro-Chenoweth op-ed from earlier in the week (Time Out NY):

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/give-the-tony-award-to-the-most-deserving-kelli-ohara

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

indytallguy
#242The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:23pm

"Give it to Kelli, who shows that a diva should be measured not by the showy extravagance of her style, but by the complexity and soulfulness of her character."

This.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#243The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:56pm

I love that article. I agree with every word he wrote.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#244The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:08pm

I agree 100% with the article supporting Kelli. The nuances of the role are the things I appreciated the most.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#245The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:16pm

Bravo.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#246The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:18pm

All three of the women being discussed in this topic have delivered fantastic performances but I agree with Cote's assessment.

Kelli's performance has really stuck with me more than the others. I also think she's gaining some momentum in the race.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

broadwayboy223
#247The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:23pm

As much as i love Kristin I want Kelli to win. We wouldn't have this problem this year if Kelli had won last year for her PHENOMENAL work in Bridges.   

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#248The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:25pm

Why wouldn't we? Kelli would still be giving the same performance in King & I.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadwayboy223
#249The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/29/15 at 4:44pm

There wouldn't be as much pressure for her to win this year. That's why. As much as i love Kristin and Chita who are all giving great performances, it just makes me really upset that Kelli hasn't been rewarded for her work. 

Videos