News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 59

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#1450The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/6/16 at 6:18pm

Haven't been able to catch up with this and the other threads, since I was avoiding spoilers, but I FINALLY saw Hamilton tonight and had a fantastic time. I purposely didn't finish the album, so at least much of the 2nd act was totally fresh for me. Really bowled over by the staging (and incredible lighting). Smart, inspired movement from beginning to end and was always in service of the fully fleshed out characters and relationships that the creatives were able to mold. 

The men are very, very strong from beginning to end. We saw Michael Luwoye as Hamilton and I thought he was incredibly thoughtful and charismatic. I thought Dixon's portrayal of Burr was a bit broad, but damn what a great role and he sounded fantastic. My favorite, by far, was Jackson as Washington who is really doing wonders with that role. Wonderfully soulful, I couldn't take my eyes off him. He really ran away with the show. 

The real reason I'm writing though is how disappointed I was in the women. Their (brilliant) material carries so much of the emotional weight and seeing it performed in such a lackluster fashion really kept me from being able to get emotionally involved in the show. Has anyone else that has seen it lately had the same experience?

Lexi Lawson was just ok as Eliza. She has a nice, flexible voice, but lacking in power and nuance. She was at her best during Burn, but otherwise her acting really didn't move me. I saw understudy Elizabeth Judd as Angelica and ...woof. Maybe she's sick? Her singing was incredibly weak and acting was basically non-existent. I mean how do you not make the most of something as RICH as Satisfied?! 

Believe me, it's really rare that I'm this harsh, but I was just kind of shocked. It's Hamilton on Broadway and there are so many actresses that would NAIL these roles. I don't know, it was weird. 

Anyway, that couldn't take away from how exciting, innovative, and well-crafted this score and show is. And to see so many young people, at a matinee, truly excited about the theater. That will forever be worth it for me. 

"...and in a bed."

ravnquest1
#1451The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/6/16 at 9:49pm

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 09:49 PM

MyLife
#1452The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 9:22am

Was also at the matinee yesterday.

I agree the women were weak, which was disappointing.I found myself just sitting there waiting for their songs to end. They didn't elevate the show at all like they should. However, the men were each incredible and I found myself focusing on them more. Pippa and Renee milked every moment of their characters and took you on their journey. Yesterday, Eliza and Renee seemed merely supporting and ancillary. I ended up focusing my attention elsewhere and having a different experience. Yet another reason I love returning to Hamilton again and again, It didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the show, but I definitely found myself a little bored in parts (like Helpless and Satisfied) where I am normally in the zone. 

Michael Luwoye is hands down the best Hamilton I've seen, and I enjoyed Lin and think Javi is fantastic. But Michael brought a little extra something to the role. I was with him from the start. 

I saw Brandon Victor Dixon in his first week and had a hard time believing him but felt he's grown a lot since and I truly enjoyed his performance. It's very different from the other Burrs I have seen but equally heartbreaking and effective. I like how he almost has two personalities. In front of others, he tries hard to be professional, put together, and proper. But as the narrator he shows us how he really feels. He has more attitude and sass, you can tell Hamilton gets under his skin. His turn in Room Where It Happens is thrilling.

Chris Jackson. I'm so glad I got to see him (forgive the pun) one last time. Somehow he;s managed to never plateau. His performance is more nuanced each time, and he is such a standout. If the Tonys were held today instead of back in June, he may have taken it from Daveed. And yes, he did get a partial standing O after One Last Time.

After missing Oak the last two times and being disappointed and entirely underwhelmed by his understudy, I forgot how amazing and effective he is as Mulligan and Madison. 

Roscoe
#1453The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 10:28am

I saw the Actors Fund benefit performance last night, my second trip after having seen it in the spring of this year and having listened to the album pretty frequently ever since.  I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to revisit this show -- it's got to be the truest cliche around that you just can't get it all in one viewing or listening, there's just way too much going on.  I heard my husband gasp more than once at little nuances in the lyrics that we'd never heard before.  I was most impressed by Mr. Munoz as Hamilton -- for me he far outclasses Mr. Miranda's performance pretty much every way, especially in matters of clear diction.  Quite simply, I could understand far more of Mr. Munoz than I ever got of Miranda.  And Munoz is hot as hell -- I certainly understood why the Schuyler sisters went for him at the same time.

My only real criticism of the evening was that the cast seemed to be going for a lot more laughs than I remember being the case earlier this year, pre-Tonys.  Rory O'Malley's George III has dwindled into a cartoonish buffoon from the creepy stalker he projected before.  The chief offender was, I'm afraid, Seth Stewart's Thomas Jefferson.  Stewart plays Jefferson like some finger-snapping sitcom boob, there was NONE of the intelligence or gravity or meanness that made Daveed Diggs' Jefferson into such a formidable figure and a deadly opponent.

Still, a marvelous evening, all round.  I'm very glad I went.  I'm telling people that it is really one of the few things that deserves the hype.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#1454The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 10:36am

I'm seeing this again in the next couple of weeks so I spent a bit of yesterday night and now this morning reading on the observations of those who have had the opportunity to see some of the newest cast members and replacements. 

I am a little taken aback by some of the things I've read (e.g.: the women coming off as weak, Stewart's "Jefferson" coming off like a boob, etc.) 

Hopefully this will not be the case when I finally get to see it again.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

neonlightsxo
#1455The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 11:15am

I'm disappointed to hear that the women are weak, though I've heard that almost unanimously about Lexi Lawson. I guess I thought they'd do a better job with replacement casting. It's definitely disappointing.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1456The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 11:26am

I found Lawson's performance far less powerful than Soo's, but still wasn't nearly as offended by her performance as others on here have been. I actually thought she was quite good; she had me bawling in the finale as Soo did (Alysha Deslorieux's Eliza, however, did not).

Gonzalez's Angelica was the real disappointment for me.

Updated On: 11/7/16 at 11:26 AM

neonlightsxo
#1457The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 11:27am

Having not seen Lexi or Mandy...I wonder if this is a result of Kail & co casting their friends, and not auditioning these people? I don't know if Lexi had to audition, but I know Mandy did not.

MyLife
#1458The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 12:53pm

I'd also like to mention just how politically poignant the entire show felt yesterday, just two days shy of the election. I obviously made connections since the show started, just as the primaries were beginning. But every line struck a chord with me after the almost two yearlong election season. It's all too real and frightening how we are dealing with the same issues our Founding Fathers worked on 240 years ago.

I had this pit in my stomach the whole show that made for a very interesting theatrical experience.

DivaProf
#1459The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:07pm

I agree with what MyLife wrote 100%.  I was at the matinee yesterday as well thanks to a post on this board a few moths ago The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD].  I LOVED Michael Luwoye, but have only seen Lin (twice) and Joh Rua (once), in the role.  Michael Luwoye's Hamilton was phenomenal.  I thought Brandon Victor Dixon's Burr showed more complexity--arrogant at times, but also vulnerable--at least from my perspective.  Vocally he was amazing.  

I missed Daveed's Lafayette.  A lot, but that for me was the only weak link among the men.

For me, Christopher Jackson just brought **more** to Jefferson than I'd noticed in prior performances.  He moved me to tears and I actually gave him a quick standing ovation during the extended applause following his number (I sat down before it ended).

I never noticed how small the women's roles were before.  Very little about them stood out to me.  I thought Lexi was fine, but really missed the "snap, crackle and pop" that Renee brought to Angelica.  Also, visually they all looked fairly similar in coloring to me, which blurred some of the individuality that was so obvious when Renee and Phillipa were in the cast.  But just this week I've been reflecting on some of Viola Davis' comments about the lack of roles for darker skinned African-American women, so that may be why I noticed it.

Overall though, it was thrilling.  I left wanting to see it again!

Updated On: 11/7/16 at 07:07 PM

aaaaaa15
#1460The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:20pm

Honestly I've always been scared about post-Phillipa Elizas and it's why I always thought her performance was underappreciated. Eliza has so little to work with, she doesn't have a standout moment like Angelica and 'Satisfied', Burr with 'Room Where It Happens', Hamilton with 'My Shot' etc. I mean she has some great songs like 'Helpless' and 'Burn' but they're not written to be showstoppers. But Phillipa brought so many nuances and subtleties to the role, even to the extent that her posture developed over the course of the evening, you could feel her aging, despite no physical signs. She really squeezed out everything she could from what was on paper, whereas I worry that perhaps the criticism of Lexi is coming from her just playing it in a more obvious way - sweet, loving - and not much else. I may be completely off base but I do think Eliza needs an actress who can provide a subtle yet affecting performance, because she is the emotional core of the show.

broadwayboy223
#1461The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:31pm

What are the complaints about Mandy? I heard she was quite good 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#1462The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:39pm

I haven't seen this cast so I probably shouldn't comment, but I'm wishing that the Chicago women were here in NYC and vice versa.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#1463The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:43pm

macnyc said: "I haven't seen this cast so I probably shouldn't comment, but I'm wishing that the Chicago women were here in NYC and vice versa.

"

^^^^

This

The women in Chicago were absolutely stellar. 

Castle2
#1464The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:49pm

luvcaroline said: "macnyc said: "I haven't seen this cast so I probably shouldn't comment, but I'm wishing that the Chicago women were here in NYC and vice versa.
"

^^^^

This

The women in Chicago were absolutely stellar. 
"

Any chance that they'd move some of the cast over from Chicago to New York?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#1465The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:53pm

I doubt that Karen Olivo would move here. She's made a post-Broadway life for herself in Wisconsin. I don't know about the others.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#1466The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 9:50pm

Also, visually they all looked fairly similar in coloring to me, which blurred some of the individuality that was so obvious when Renee and Phillipa were in the cast.  But just this week I've been reflecting on some of Viola Davis' comments about the lack of roles for darker skinned African-American women, so that may be why I noticed it.

This bugged me too. I thought it really detracted from the impact of the diversity of the cast to have all the sisters look like sisters. 

Castle2
#1467The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/7/16 at 11:05pm

https://twitter.com/HamiltonMusical/status/795838628144566272

A new block of tickets will go on sale Wednesday, November 9th, at 10AM for performances through 11/5/17.

RW3
#1468The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/8/16 at 11:32am

Castle2 said: "https://twitter.com/HamiltonMusical/status/795838628144566272

A new block of tickets will go on sale Wednesday, November 9th, at 10AM for performances through 11/5/17.

WHAT.  I just told myself that I need to stop spending so much money and yet I'll probably quite a bit tomorrow. Also, it could just be me but I think Corbin Bleu would make a pretty good Lafayette/Jefferson. Just throwing that out there.

akmiller_98
#1469The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/10/16 at 2:44pm

Last night was my third time seeing Hamilton.

The first time, I saw the OBC, no understudies. The second time, I saw the OBC + Rory. This time the cast was:

Hamilton: Javi
Angelica: Mandy
Eliza: Lexi
Peggy: Jasmine
Burr:BVD
Lafayette/Jefferson: Andrew
Mulligan/Madison: Oak
George Washington: Chris Jackson
Laurens/Phillip: Anthony
King George: Rory

I was in Orch C, pretty far to the left.

It was supposed to be a celebration, but well, you all know the circumstances. It was, however, very inspirational. The crowd went wild for “The Story of Tonight” and cheered after almost every line in it.

Now on to the review: I don't have much time, so I'll make it quick.

Hamilton: Javi
He was great. Nothing stood out to me too much but he did a solid job. His hurricane was the highlight for me. (The choreography in that song blows me away.)

Angelica: Mandy
I enjoyed Mandy. I had seen her twice in In the Heights and thought she was amazing. Again nothing stood out too much for me. I didn’t find her to be behind the music like some people did. If she was, it didn’t bother me. She has a powerful voice.

Eliza: Lexi
She has a gorgeous voice. Her singing was divine, but when Phillip dies her acting was seriously lacking. I didn’t even cry and I am a baby. I do prefer what she does at the end to Pippa's gasp. I didn't know what to expect since everyone is so "hush, hush" about it on these boards. :) It was a nice touch and made more sense to me.

Peggy: Jasmine
gorgeous and amazing as always.

Burr:BVD
He plays the role much looser than Leslie. I really liked BVD’s voice. Both times I saw Leslie, I had trouble hearing him in some parts. I think Leslie’s voice is at a lower register or something. (I’m probably using the wrong word.) Anyway, BVD was fabulous the whole time, accept the duel. Leslie was so much stronger, much more conflicted and emotional during that part.

Lafayette/Jefferson: Andrew
I’m so torn on this. I wanted to love him. Maybe because I’ve seen him so much on snapchat, it seems like he is playing himself. There’s a chance I would have loved him in the role of Jefferson, if I didn’t know what he was like in real life.

Mulligan/Madison: Oak
Totally underrated. He’s the best. I can't wait to see what he does next.

George Washington: Chris Jackson
Just amazing. Can’t be beat. Everyone adores him. The crowd went wild for everything he did.  History has Its Eyes on Uou was especially powerful the day after the election. I wish I could be at his last show to see One Last Time.

Laurens/Phillip: Anthony
Great, as usual. Lovely voice. His new wig is pretty funny.

King George: Rory
I’m a fan of Rory, but not his King George. I loved how Jonathon Groff was so incredibly slow and subtle in his every move. He didn’t try for laughs. Rory is the exact opposite. My boyfriend has only seen Rory though and thought he was hilarious. So what do i know!?

The ensemble worked their butts off.

Overall terrific show again.

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#1470The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/12/16 at 11:40pm

Did anyone here see Andrew Chappelle as King George III tonight?  I'm curious to hear impressions.

rjm516
#1471The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/13/16 at 8:38am

Would anyone mind messaging me what Lexi does at the end if not the gasp? I'm so curious! 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#1472The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/13/16 at 9:24am

Also curious what Lexi does instead of the gasp, I doubt I'll get a chance to see her.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1473The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/13/16 at 9:39am

Would love to know as well

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#1474The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 11/13/16 at 6:23pm

Was anyone at Chris Jackson's last show?  Would love to read any reactions.  He will be greatly missed.  What a performance!

Videos