News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread- Page 28

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread

Broadway61004
#675Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/25/19 at 4:09pm

One interesting thing to note--since they split the revival categories in 1994, only once has the winner of Best Revival of a Play not been nominated for directing (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in 2001).  So while hardly anyone seems to be predicting Lila Neuberger (or for that matter Moises Kaufman or Joe Mantello), it seems like whoever's winning Revival (likely Waverly) is, from a stats perspective, almost a lock for a directing nom.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#676Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:16am

I have Lila Neugebauer, Joe Mantello, and Rupert Goold battling it out for the 4th and 5th Best Director of a Play categories (with Sam Mendes, Bartlett Sher, and Rupert Goold getting the first 3 slots).

How many plays do we think will get into the Best Score category? Adam Guettel could get swept up in the love for Mockingbird (though is he a "problematic" man now?), and Gabriel Kahane's work was quite wonderful on Waverly Gallery. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#677Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 9:21am

I can see Guettel and Kahane getting in. I can also see a world where Adam Cork gets in for Ink.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#678Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 10:09am

I think it's insane to count out Constitution in the best play race. I actually think it's a two-horse race between it and Ferryman. The fact that it's a mostly one-woman show does not work against it and in fact, sort of adds to this great narrative the play has had (a woman telling her story, and people listening). 

MrJNLong
#679Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 11:01am

Since we're talking about play directors, I have to say this.

I thought Lila Neugebauer's direction of Waverly Gallery was easily the weakest part of the production and the only thing holding it back. I was sitting kind of to the audience right (not even extreme right) of the house when I saw it and there were multiple scenes when I was looking at the back of someone's head for extended periods of time because they were sitting at a table. I understand that you have to do that when people sit at tables, but she never took the opportunity to move characters around or turn around when they were talking.  This caused me to miss relating to multiple key characters in key moments.  Also, the choices made during the scene changes, for my money, totally stopped the flow of emotion and action, while not adding anything to the story. In fact they mostly just baffled me as I tried to figure out what was going on with the projections.  Now, perhaps, that is what she was going for...to maybe put us inside Elaine May's character's head, but it didn't necessarily work for me.  It just distanced me. I kept thinking how poorly the show was directed rather than thinking I was being swept up in the story.

So, in a season with so many great plays, I do not think she deserves a nomination here.

This is also the reason I am hoping that Waverly Gallery does not win Best Revival.  I understand that nothing else stands out this year, but I am now officially pulling for "The Boys in the Band" which I think was the strongest revival and had the strongest reviews of any revival this year.  It also had uniformly strong performances, like Waverly did...but also had better direction and design in my opinion. Or perhaps "All My Sons" which I haven't seen yet so don't have an opinion on.

OK, that's all. Carry on.

Updated On: 4/26/19 at 11:01 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#680Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 11:09am

What are the rules for the Best Score category? Does it have five nominees if there are enough plays with new eligible scores? 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Broadway61004
#681Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 11:14am

TFMH18 said: "I think it's insane to count out Constitution in the best play race. I actually think it's a two-horse race between it and Ferryman. The fact that it's a mostly one-woman show does not work against it and in fact, sort of adds to this great narrative the play has had (a woman telling her story, and people listening)."

A woman telling her own story and people listening is a great narrative. But an awards-darling producer with a production of an American literary classic (by a much-respected writer who has never won) chock-full of Broadway veterans that is selling out, has recouped, and is touring is a far bigger Tony threat. With that said, I think Ferryman actually ends up taking it, but I see Mockingbird as a close 2nd with Constitution a very distant 3rd.

SomethingPeculiar
#682Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 11:25am

IdinaBellFoster said: "What are the rules for the Best Score category? Does it have five nominees if there are enough plays with new eligible scores?"

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I believe that it's 5 nominees in each category if there are 9+ eligible shows. There are 22 eligible Scores including plays.

Safe to assume Hades, Tootsie, Prom, and probably BMC are all in, with one category open for Mockingbird, Waverly, Lear, or Ink.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#683Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 11:33am

MrJNLong said: "Since we're talking about play directors, I have to say this.

I thought Lila Neugebauer's direction of Waverly Gallery was easily the weakest part of the production and the only thing holding it back. I was sitting kind of to the audience right (not even extreme right) of the house when I saw it and there were multiple scenes when I was looking at the back of someone's head for extended periods of time because they were sitting at a table. I understand that you have to do that when people sit at tables, but she never took the opportunity to move characters around or turn around when they were talking. This caused me to miss relating to multiple key characters in key moments. Also, the choices made during the scene changes, for my money, totally stopped the flow of emotion and action, while not adding anything to the story. In fact they mostly just baffled me as I tried to figure out what was going on with the projections. Now, perhaps, that is what she was going for...to maybe put us inside Elaine May's character's head, but it didn't necessarily work for me. It just distanced me. I kept thinking how poorly the show was directed rather than thinking I was being swept up in the story.

So, in a season with so many great plays, I do not think she deservesa nomination here.

This is also the reason I am hoping that Waverly Gallery does not win Best Revival. I understand that nothing else stands out this year, but I am now officially pulling for "The Boys in the Band" which I think was the strongest revival and had the strongest reviews of any revival this year. It also had uniformly strong performances, like Waverly did...but also had better direction and design in my opinion. Or perhaps "All My Sons" which I haven't seen yet so don't have an opinion on.

OK, that's all. Carry on.
"

I LOVED The Waverly Gallery. But, I don't totally disagree here about the direction. While the scenes didn't necessarily call for a lot of movement, since most scenes are just dinner with grandma, but being in the back of the orchestra it was difficult to hear Lucas Hedges during those scenes. Didn't take away from the play for me, but I completely understand your point. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#684Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:11pm

I thought the design of The Waverly Gallery was really the let down, not so much Neugebauer's direction. The acting direction was sublime.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#685Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:16pm

As someone who has a mom with dementia, this revival of The Waverly Gallery affected me in a powerful and personal way unequaled by any other theatrical experience thus far. It was both a vision of how we got to where we are now and a map of the difficult road ahead for my mom and I. In fact, I had moved my mom from assisted living to a Medicaid-approved nursing home two days prior. I am actually in the minority as I liked the transitional projections. It made me reflect on my mom and her days as a young, vibrant woman, which made what came after all the more tragic. This one is personal for me. I’m really pulling for May to win and for it to win best revival. I feel like those wins will be a win for all people dealing with dementia, including their loved ones. I know that sounds a bit (okay a lot) melodramatic, but I’m pretty passionate about this revival in case there was any doubt. It was the first time I wrote a letter to the cast and creatives to thank them and the first I ordered the play script afterwards which I devoured the day it arrived.

#686Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:30pm

I'm finding it interesting how The Prom has been releasing so much news in the press lately. I'm wondering if this is to get their name back on people's minds with awards season? Just in the last 2 weeks they've announced

Netflix Film Adaptation

Young Adult Novel Adaptation

Performance at the WorldPride closing ceremony

Caitlin Kinnunen performing at the GLAAD Media Awards on TV

SomethingPeculiar
#688Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:46pm

No surprises with those eligibility rulings (though I had been predicting they'd petition Lithgow to Featured, but it looks like he'll remain in Lead).

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#689Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 12:49pm

Regarding Neugebauer’s direction:

I’ve seen a TON of shows that she directed (she’s one of the most in-demand directors Off-Broadway these days), and I’ve found that where she really shines is in her ability to direct engaging and effective hypernaturalism. Few directors match her ability to make conversations and moments feel totally ripped from real life, and to suck the audience in and almost make them forget they’re watching a play.

I agree that her physical staging of Waverly didn’t always support the show as much as I might have liked, but I think the skill I mentioned above did really shine through...for most of the performances....

It’s interesting to read that Lucas Hedges was difficult to hear, because when I sat in the rear mezz I felt like he was shouting all of his lines. I wonder if at some point Neugebauer gave him the note to be louder, and he overcompensated in the other direction.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#690Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/26/19 at 1:07pm

ND_2000 said: "I'm finding it interesting how The Prom has been releasing so much news in the press lately. I'm wondering if this is to get their name back on people's minds with awards season? Just in the last 2 weeks they've announced

Netflix Film Adaptation

Young Adult Novel Adaptation

Performance at the WorldPride closing ceremony

Caitlin Kinnunen performing at the GLAAD Media Awards on TV
"

I have a friend who works for the publisher and they told me the novel adaptation was contracted and signed last year. It was not a situation like Dear Evan Hansen, where publishers were clamoring to adapt the piece into a novel. They knew I saw a lot of shows and told me an agent was trying to shop numerous Broadway novelizations after Dear Evan Hansen's success, and wanted to know what I thought might work. Apparently they signed up a few titles, but it looks like only The Prom will be published. The writers will not be not making anywhere close to the amount DEH's team did, as that was a bidding war. The Prom's novelization is seen as more of a marketing exercise then a New York Times Best Seller. I will say though you have to give The Prom's marketing team a hand as they are truly trying anything and everything to market the show. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#691Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 4:52pm

BEST MUSICAL 

1- Hadestown

2- Tootsie

3- The Prom

4- Ain't Too Proud 

If a 5th

- Beetlejuice 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/28/19 at 04:52 PM

A0326T
#692Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 5:04pm

I am yet to see Hadestown, Oklahoma, Ain't too Proud and King King this summer but I saw the Prom, Network, Ferryman, Kiss me Kate a Choir Boy last Februaey.

I did see the Prom here in Chicago but basing on what I've read here I feel Hadestown all the way ...

My choice for nominees will be: Hadestown, the Prom Tootsie and Ain't too Proud.

meredithchandler73
#693Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 5:54pm

A0326T said: "I did see the Prom here in Chicago but basing on what I've read here I feel Hadestown all the way ..."

If I'm not mistaken, THE PROM premiered in Atlanta at the Alliance Theater in summer 2016. There wasn't a production of THE PROM in Chicago...

A0326T
#694Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 6:10pm

meredithchandler73 said: "A0326T said: "I did see the Prom here in Chicago but basing on what I've read here I feel Hadestown all the way ..."

If I'm not mistaken, THE PROM premiered in Atlanta at the Alliance Theater in summer 2016. There wasn't a production of THE PROM in Chicago...
"

My error. I meant I saw Tootsie here in Chicago. I did see the Prom back on Feb nyc visit. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#695Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 8:19pm

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY

Warren Carlyle  Kiss Me, Kate

Denis Jones  Tootsie  or  possibly Spencer Liff  Head Over Heels

David Neumann  Hadestown

Casey Nicholaw  The Prom

Sergio Trujillo  Ain't Too Proud

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/27/19 at 08:19 PM

natashalost
#696Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 9:29pm

Could Choir Boy sneak in for a Best Score nomination? Are they even eligible? I hope they get rewarded for the music in that show some how. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#697Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 9:49pm

I think The Cher Show could be competition for Choreography

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#698Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 10:15pm

I’d love to see Choir Boy get a choreography nomination, especially after Camille Brown’s snub for Once On This Island last year.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#699Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/27/19 at 10:17pm

BEST COSTUMES MUSICAL

William Ivey Long  Beetlejuice

Michael Krass, Hadestown

Arianne Phillips  Head Over Heels

Jeff Mashie Kiss Me Kate

Bob Mackie, The Cher Show

Videos