pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 13

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

DBAK
#300SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 2:42pm

I don't post on here too often, but I feel like I'm alone in thinking both Ashford and Groban are terribly miscast in this? They're both too young and pretty for my taste. I've never liked Josh Groban whatsoever. I think he's a pandering hack. And call me old-fashioned but shouldn't the role of Mrs. Lovett be reserved for an actual 50-60-something? Ashford sticks out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much every actress to have played the role professionally on Broadway, the road, and the West End. I just don't care about this production. If they had wanted to go young and flashy and sexy for Lovett and Todd they should have at least cast people who aren't the Broadway equivalent of Wonder Bread.

Updated On: 2/24/23 at 02:42 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#301SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 3:15pm

Thank God no one is holding a gun to your head and making you see this! Crisis AVERTED!

ElephantLoveMedley
#302SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 3:16pm

DBAK said: "I don't post on here too often, but I feel like I'm alone in thinking both Ashford and Groban are terribly miscast in this?"

Do you have access to a time machine where you've seen them perform in the roles already?

schubox
#303SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 3:18pm

DBAK said: "I don't post on here too often, but I feel like I'm alone in thinking both Ashford and Groban are terribly miscast in this? They're both too young and pretty for my taste. I've never liked Josh Groban whatsoever. I think he's a pandering hack. And call me old-fashioned but shouldn't the role of Mrs. Lovett be reserved for an actual 50-60-something? Ashford sticks out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much every actress to have played the role professionally on Broadway, the road, and the West End. I just don't care about this production. If they had wanted to go young and flashy and sexy for Lovett and Todd they should have at least cast people who aren't the Broadway equivalent of Wonder Bread."

Josh Groban is older than Len Cariou was when it was on Broadway in '79. And Ashford is probably a bit too young, but I think the role is comfortably played by someone in their 40s and she's in her late 30s. I love them both though and am excited to see them. And Groban especially, sells tickets. It's not real hard to figure out why they were cast.

bear88
#304SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 3:39pm

You are not the only person who has expressed skepticism about the casting on this board. 

But as for age, Groban is older than Len Cariou was when he played the role in the original production. Groban is turning 42 on Monday. Cariou was 39. George Hearn was 46/47. Michael Cerveris was 45 when the 2005 Broadway revival started. Groban falls right in the middle. He may play the role "younger," but he falls right in the age range of a typical Sweeney Todd and older than the original Sweeney.

Annaleigh Ashford, at 37, is decidedly younger than the actresses who have played Mrs. Lovett on Broadway. Angela Lansbury was 54 when she originated the role. Patti LuPone was 55 during the revival. That may change the dynamic of the show, and the promotional materials suggest she will definitely play the role younger/sexier..

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#305SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 4:16pm

With a cast and crew like this, this revival could be interesting. Plus, considering how expensive this production is; the team behind it is certainly leaving no stone unturned. The casting did leave me wondering why they're going in this direction, but Thomas Kail does have talent so he might pull it off.

Not to mention the return of Joanathan Tunick's original 27-piece orchestra that has not been heard on Broadway since 1980 is sure to be a special treat.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#306SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 7:31pm

Is there an invited dress tomorrow (Saturday the 25)? If so, is anyone from the boards attending? 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#307SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:06pm

I just went to buy a ticket for mid-March and shows in March are basically sold out - they weren't a few days ago when I last looked!

So, I went back to next week and other than the first preview, premium tickets are available for under $300. Like... 5th-row center orchestra. Just FYI to those seeking such seats. Not sure if they dropped prices on them or what - surely, that's not what those always were priced at? I saw rear mezz at almost the same prices previously.

But happy birthday to me with my 7th-row center ticket.

Updated On: 2/24/23 at 08:06 PM

JasonC3
#308SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:58pm

For some of the dates I've checked, the first few rows of the center mezz are at premium pricing  $500 and those aren't resale tickets. 

Musical Master
#309SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 9:01pm

Can't believe that previews start Sunday, it was only yesterday when this production was once a rumored thing.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#310SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/24/23 at 10:38pm

A nice little interview with Jordan Fisher and Maria Bilbano 

https://broadwaydirect.com/sweeney-todd-stars-jordan-fisher-maria-bilbano-prepare-to-tell-the-tale/?fbclid=IwAR3nJg8v-llrKD6P0KxAMRB7d1qjyFnitYERh0sOVDnf1RyMNGnHfMOMl3U&mibextid=unz460

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#311SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 12:00am

Watch your necks… Fleet Street is coming back to New York.

In its third Broadway revival, audiences will once again attend the tale of Sweeney Todd. Previews begin tomorrow night (February 26) at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, prior to a March 26 official opening. Multiplatinum recording artist Josh Groban plays the titular maniacal demon barber out for revenge, and Annaleigh Ashford joins him as pie shop owner Mrs. Lovett. Rounding out the rest of the principal cast are Jordan Fisher, Gaten Matarazzo, Ruthie Ann Miles, Maria Bilbao, Jamie Jackson, John Rapson, and Nicholas Christopher. Sweeney Todd features an iconic score by Stephen Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler. Steven Hoggett is the choreographer, and Thomas Kail directs.

“Sondheim’s masterpiece is a savory Victorian melodrama. Returned to London following a wrongful banishment, barber Sweeney Todd’s thirst for vengeance against the corrupt judge who sent him away leads him on a murderous spree. Aided by his downstairs neighbor, baker Mrs. Lovett, the two concoct an unappetizing scheme as they terrorize the city. Featuring the songs ‘The Worst Pies in London’, ‘A Little Priest’, ‘Johanna’, and ‘Not While I’m Around’, this deliciously dark musical serves horror with a slice of humor.”

Who dares enter for a shave?

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#312SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 1:17pm

For those who care about these types of things, here's the breakdown of the orchestra courtesy of Alex Lac on Insta! David Lai assembled the ensemble (sometimes-conductor of Phantom and longtime orchestra contractor for LCT revivals & Lloyd Webber musicals)

Flute/Picc/Recorder: Elizabeth Mann
Oboe/English Horn: Keisuke Ikuma
Clarinets/Flute/Picc: Steve Kenyon
Clarinet/Bass Clarinet: Todd Palmer
Bassoon: Damian Primis
French Horn: Sarah Boxmeyer
Trumpet: John Chudoba, Changhyun Cha
Trombone: Jason Jackson, Julie Dombroski
Bass Trombone: Jennifer Wharton
Percussion: Sean Ritenauer, Javi Diaz
Harp: Tomina Parvanova-Lyden
Organ/Celeste/Harmonium/Harpsichord: Fred Lassen
Concertmaster: Anna Parks
Violin: Bryan Hernandez-Luch, Claire Chan, Katherine Livolsi-Landau, Elizabeth Lim-Dutton, Lady Jess
Viola: David Blinn, Orlando Wells
Cello: Emily Brausa, Wayne Smith
Bass: Lisa Stokes

Orchestrations: Jonathan Tunick
Music Coordinator: David Lai
Music Copyist: Emily Grishman Music Preparation
Keyboard Programming: Randy Cohen

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co-D55NOnzy/?hl=en

Musical Master
#313SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 2:12pm

Guess I was one orchestra member off, but 26 is still a very large number. Especially in comparison to Parade's 16-member orchestra.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#314SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 2:39pm

Musical Master said: "Guess I was one orchestra member off, but 26 is still a very large number. Especially in comparison to Parade's 16-member orchestra."

With due respect, Parade's score is no Sweeney Todd. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#315SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 5:11pm

To anyone interested it looks like some premium seats have been released for tomorrow's first preview.

Musical Master
#316SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 5:19pm

blaxx said: "Musical Master said: "Guess I was one orchestra member off, but 26 is still a very large number. Especially in comparison to Parade's 16-member orchestra."

With due respect, Parade's score is no Sweeney Todd.
"

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

dan94
#317SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 6:19pm

The fact that David Lai is the contractor gives me some hope. Everyone is excited for a full orchestra but when was the last time Lacamoire conducted a score that had anything but 14 players and a click track? He's kinda untested here and I hope he brings the goods/has interesting ideas/actually shapes the music.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#318SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 6:32pm

It obviously depends on the theatre, but will 26 musicians fit in most orchestra pits? I know the ST orchestra is having a harp, which takes up quite a bit of space on it's own.

twinklingstar Profile Photo
twinklingstar
#319SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 7:03pm

FANtomFollies said: "Is there an invited dress tomorrow (Saturday the 25)? If so, is anyone from the boards attending?"

There is a dress rehearsal but not an invited dress.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#320SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 7:53pm

FANtomFollies said: "It obviously depends on the theatre, but will 26 musicians fit in most orchestra pits? I know the ST orchestra is having a harp, which takes up quite a bit of space on it's own."

All musicians need not fit in the pit; they can be in separate rooms entirely. I believe both Lion King and Wicked's percussionists are in separate rooms because they have so many large instruments. 

I have no idea how large the pit at the Lunt is, and pits are always crowded in the best of times, but it is definitely possible to have musicians elsewhere.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#321SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 8:20pm

twinklingstar said: "FANtomFollies said: "Is there an invited dress tomorrow (Saturday the 25)? If so, is anyone from the boards attending?"

There is a dress rehearsal but not an invited dress.
"

Whoa. So we are really the first public audience to see this tomorrow. Exciting.

Also, I've been thinking how all Sondheim revivals on Broadway since Assassins have been transfers or enhanced productions of concert stagings (Sunday and ITW.) Tomorrow we will be the first audience ever to see a brand new Broadway revival of one of Sondheim's greatest masterpieces. 

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 08:20 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#322SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 9:39pm

veronicamae said: "FANtomFollies said: "It obviously depends on the theatre, but will 26 musicians fit in most orchestra pits? I know the ST orchestra is having a harp, which takes up quite a bit of space on it's own."

All musicians need not fit in the pit; they can be in separate rooms entirely. I believe both Lion King and Wicked's percussionists are in separate rooms because they have so many large instruments.

I have no idea how large the pit at the Lunt is, and pits are always crowded in the best of times, but it is definitely possible to have musicians elsewhere.

"

The pit at the Lunt is quite large, but likely not large enough for 26 orchestra members.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#323SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 10:02pm

Merch has not been loaded yet, but here's the page: https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/sweeney-todd

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#324SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:20pm

dan94 said: "The fact that David Lai is the contractor gives me some hope. Everyone is excited for a full orchestra but when was the last time Lacamoire conducted a score that had anything but 14 players and a click track? He's kinda untested here and I hope he brings the goods/has interesting ideas/actually shapes the music."

He certainly hadn’t conducted that on Broadway, but has for films. We can’t judge his conducting technique until we hear it. At minimum, he reveres the score.

Fred Lassen, his associate, is very competent in this style and I imagine will take over as full time conductor within a few months of the Bway opening. 

Videos