Going to shows alone

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#25Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 7:45pm

I went to movies alone for years before I worked up the nerve to go to the theater alone. I think it was being alone at intermission that intimidated me. But once I started putting seeing shows I wanted to see ahead of worrying what strangers might think, I got past it. It's fun to have someone to chat with, but if that doesn't work out, it's fine. And getting a good house seat when they're finally released is much easier if you're only looking for one seat.

Wildcard
#26Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 7:57pm

I love going to shows on my own. Sometimes, a companion's negative personal opinions on a show (whether merited or otherwise) can alter my own personal enjoyment of what I have just seen.

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
HoldThatThought
#27Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 8:28pm

I find I don't mind either way. I used to go alone all the time to theatre and movies when I lived in Boston and was single. I always found it much easier to be able to just go at a moment's notice whenever I felt like it. And, when popular shows are pretty much sold out, you have much better odds of getting a single seat than a double, etc. However, going with someone who enjoys theater at least as much as you do is a treat too.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 8:32pm

I love going to shows by myself. It's some really nice "me time".

And if I do go with someone, I have to make sure it's someone who I can tolerate sitting next to at a show. I have friends I love dearly who annoy the **** out of me at the theatre.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadwayjim42
#29Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 8:47pm

I've been seeing shows by myself for years and love it...I do have a friend in the city and we do try to do at least one show together when I'm there, but the rest I'm solo. I like the ability to wing tickets on a moment's notice and not worrying about stepping on anyone else's toes. When I go with friends, partner or my daughter, everything's planned within an inch of its life.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:04pm

I've been to a hand-full of shows by myself. It's typically a show that I've already seen and simply want to see it again before it closed(Ragtime, Company, Hair). Or if I've been working in the city during the day and I feel like treating myself to something at TKTS(or SRO, if possible). Of course, half my visits to A Chorus Line were seen by myself(5 out of 9).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#31Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:04pm

I always thought it would be lonely to go alone, and sometimes it is if you have a reaction to something (like when I went to SNL dress rehearsal when Jimmy Fallon hosted and I had no one to freak out with when all of the alumni came back), but otherwise, I enjoy myself because I don't have to care if who I'm with is enjoying it. I also got to the point where I wanted to see something and no one else was able to go, so I said screw it, I want to see it and I don't care if no one comes with me. I just saw Macbeth again yesterday (just because I felt like it) and I went alone and I had a fabulous time!

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:10pm

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't really like to see shows alone. Sometimes it's ok, especially if the show is good, but I much prefer to see bad theater with friends.

In fact I feel like some of my deepest friendships have been galvanized by surviving bad shows and quoting them years later.

I mean I'll go by myself and it's totally fine, but I almost never want to go alone.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#33Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:50pm

If I lived in New York and had serious theatergoing friends I might feel differently, but I've come to prefer going alone. My friends tend to whisper and fidget and generally pull me out of the moment. Plus, after I've gotten immersed in a story I tend to brood over it for an hour or so. I kinda hate that moment when the house lights come up and my friend is right there saying, "SO WHAT DID YOU THINK???" Let me ruminate for a while before you ask that question.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#34Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:00pm

"You're never alone in New York . It's the perfect place to be single. The city is your date."

Anyway I have no qualms seeing a show by myself. Hardly any of my friends are that into theatre so I've learned to deal with it. I don't have any issue doing anything alone because it's NYC. Bring a damn book and call it a day.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Phantom4ever
#35Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:33pm

When I lived in NY, I rarely saw shows by myself unless I was out and about on a matinee day and decided to get a last minute ticket for a 2pm show.

Now that I don't live in NY, when I come to visit I usually cram 5 shows into a 3 or 4 day visit. Sometimes I am able to get friends/dates/jump-offs to go with me, sometimes I am not. And there are certain shows I love to see repeatedly that every single person I know has already seen with me lol.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:15am

I most always go alone. It's honestly just hard to make your schedules match up and make sure you buy your tickets together, etc. It's just a headache. Especially if you're going in a group of 3 or an odd number and trying to get rush or lotto seats. I think it's just easier to go at it alone.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#38Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:20am

I'm with Whizzer: I really don't like going to the theater alone. I've done it a couple of times this year to see things I didn't want to miss, but I find it lonely, to be surrounded by people but not with anyone. I wish I enjoyed it more!

BroadwayBrat
#39Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:21am

I live in Boston and head to NYC 3-4 times a year alone to catch a few shows. It's not the best way to see shows, but I don't have to worry about the other person liking a show I recommended. I go in early on Saturday and see 2 shows and stay 1 night or head home that same day. It's crazy but fun.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#40Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 7:14am

Because of circumstances I holiday alone,I eat alone and I go to theatre alone,but I am never alone as I always have a book with me.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#41Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:49am

I much prefer going alone because most of my theatregoing is last minute whenever I have a free evening, which isn't really conducive to going with other people. I also concur that most friends (and past partners) who I love dearly are very difficult for me to sit next to in the theatre, a place I consider sacred. The eating, fidgeting, chewing, chomping, tapping, whispering, etc. is just too much for me.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#42Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:52am

I go alone a lot more than I go with someone else. Theatergoing can be expensive, both in money and in time. When I ask other people if they want to go, I worry about whether they are liking it and it can take me out of the moment. And as others have mentioned, it's much easier to get a great seat if you are going by yourself and you don't have to coordinate schedules. Regional theaters often have talkbacks or other special events that I want to attend, and so I'm often tied to a specific performance date.

I used to wonder how it looked to go by myself, until I realized that I had absolutely no idea if most of the other people in my row were there by themselves or with others. No one cares. And when I started looking at my fellow theatergoers, I realized an awful lot of people go to the theater by themselves, especially in New York where a lot of theatergoers are in town by themselves, whether for business or having fun. Maybe because I'm there by myself and thereby breaking up a pair, but I find it pretty common that one of my seat neighbors is also coming solo.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#43Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:02am

I can't imagine worrying what strangers thought of me seeing a show alone. Sure, it's always fun to chat about a show with someone who saw the same performance you did, but that wouldn't prevent me from seeing a show.

That's what BWW is for.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Michelle4
#44Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:12am

I prefer to go to shows with a friend but that hasn't stopped me from seeing a show alone. I live outside the city so it does add up commuting. There is a site called NY broadway Meetup where you purchase tickets through them and can watch the show with other theater afficionados. I haven't joined myself because I've been able to get tickets through rewards, etc. and don't really mind going in by myself. Anyway, it might be a good starting place to look for fellow commuters to go to shows with.

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 09:12 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#45Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:01am

What a nice post, OP, and I hope you make some friends from it to join you at shows. On the subject, I'm partnered and love my friends, many of whom love theater and make great theater companions. Still, often times I enjoy going to shows alone, especially when I just feel like going to see something spontaneously and don't feel like doing it by committee - same goes for movies. No reason anyone should feel awkward about that, much less when one is traveling alone in a theater town.

On a somewhat related note, if you want to see something which is by nature an independent viewing experience, you may want to check out Sleep No More; I'm not one of that show's biggest fans by any stretch, but I did enjoy the experience and to be on that never ending and exceptionally accomplished set exploring nooks and crannies of mise en scene and following each narrative thread that takes your fancy on your own is pretty special. I actually went with someone but we were quickly, and by operation of house rules, separated, joined each other later and then parted ways and joined each other again.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#46Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:23am

Having moved up to London a year ago, I can say that I've been incredibly lucky as I've managed to see nearly everything on my list accompanied with random friends and family.

But previously, on my random trips to NY, CA and London, I made many solo theatre trips. If I hadn't made the decision, I would have missed out on a lot of shows. No regrets at all. Add that you sometimes make friends with the people sitting next to you, or in day seats/rush queues, etc.

But I do agree, it always reflects as a memory when you get to share an incredible theatrical experience with someone else.

Everything in life...is only for now.
Updated On: 4/21/13 at 10:23 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#47Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:39am

My sister will often meet me in the city (I'm in Boston, She's from Philly) and she usually allows me to pick the shows since she doesn't "keep up" but enjoys going. I do spend a bit of energy worrying about whether or not she is enjoying the show -- which takes me out of the moment.

The one time I really miss a companion is when I totally fall in love with a show.....I really want to chat about that. Luckily, I have enough theater saavy friends that are only a phone call away.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#48Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:48am

I go alone all the time too. I have gone with people too, but nobody seemed to want to discuss the show in depth or anything. And the last time I went with people ended up being sort of miserable. It's just I know my way around NYC now and good and bad ideas, but they didn't listen to me. And they were doing things I did not approve of in the theater.

Sometimes I talk to people around me, if it seems right. Like a woman next to me when I saw Avenue Q was alone as well and started talking to me. Same thing happened at Shrek with another person.

I actually got praised sort of for going alone to something that is a huge tourist attraction by a person working there. She just commented that she thought it was great because I didn't have a huge group of people to deal with.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#49Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:16am

I went solo to see Pippin tonight also and since I live in the city I've never had a problem with it. Feel free to talk to those around you and sometines friendships are made just like that.

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#50Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:19am

I feel the same way.

Videos