pixeltracker

Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did- Page 3

Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did

Alex Kulak2
#50Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 1/25/18 at 9:39am

It is, and taking that into account with the vocal direction is important, but the voice also needs a conversationalism to it. It's hard to make out the words when he sings. It's like Russell Crowe in Les Miz (not saying RDJ is a bad singer like Crowe): it needs to sound closer to talking then just regular music.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#51Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 1/25/18 at 9:56am

Kate Winslet in Night Music

binau Profile Photo
binau
#52Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 1/25/18 at 10:52am

thirtythirtyninety said: "Kate Winslet in Night Music"

Yes!!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 2/13/18 at 9:33pm

Bumping this thread for Christine Ebersole as Dolly...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#54Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/26/20 at 3:28pm

Recently read about a rumor that the Roundabout reading of A little night music featuring Vanessa Redgrave and Natasha Richardson had its eyes set for broadway... but as well all know.

Also, Leslie Odom Jr as Dr. Pomatter in waitress. While his wife was in the show. That should’ve happened. Not sure if he was too busy or if the Weisslers offered too little. But damn, what a missed opportunity.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#55Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/26/20 at 7:04pm

Leslie Odom Jr. and Cassie Levy in Waitress
Chita Rivera in Anastasia
Christy Altomare in Frozen

I think Leslie was paid too low or not chosen for Waitress. He recently tweeted how disappointed he still is for not doing it.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#56Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/26/20 at 8:24pm

I believe Cassie Levy was also in the running for Carole King in Beautiful

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/26/20 at 8:30pm

Queen Latifah in Hello, Dolly!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#58Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/26/20 at 9:31pm

Not a rumor, but damn I would have loved to see Mandy Patinkin as Pierre. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#59Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 7:39am

The Night Music revival with Natasha and Vanessa was on Roundabout’s slate based on the one-night concert they produced, but it of course never went anywhere due to Natasha’s tragic passing. That would have been a breathtaking revival, I’m sure. Natasha Richardson was singularly luminous and picture-perfect casting for Desiree.

As far as actual rumors, I’ll always wonder what a Toni Collette Next to Normal would have sounded like or an Estelle Parsons/Laurie Metcalf matchup in August: Osage County.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#60Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 8:40am

Loretta Devine in 'Hairspray'
Jackee Harry in 'Wicked'
- also, I always dreamed of Christine Ebersole playing Velma in 'Hairspray'

Darreyl with an L!

batboysings
#61Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 3:04pm

Sorry for the plug but in our new podcast Out for Blood (outforbloodpodcast.com) we talk to some of the performers from the early 80s workshop of 'CARRIE' as well as the workshop of the revival, and discuss some of the reasons why they didn't end up doing the final productions.

Thought it may be of interest to those keen on this topic!!

SouthernCakes
#62Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 4:22pm

Britney in Sweet Charity. Brilliant casting.

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#63Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 4:22pm

Brittney Spears in Sweet Charity to succeed Christina Applegate

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#64Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 6:40pm

Wasn't there also a rumor that the Sweet Charity revival would move to the Lyric/Hilton/Foxwoods/Ford Center with Britney Spears?

I'd also have loved to see Gloria Estefan replace Vanessa Williams in the 2002 Into the Woods revival (Billy Porter was also rumored, tho I'd rather have seen Estefan).

Not rumored, but I'd have LOVED to see Vanessa Williams as Queenie in the LaChiusa Wild Party. She was pregnant and unable to do the Broadway run so it went to Toni Colette.. 

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#65Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 8:28pm

Rebel Wilson was rumored to be considered to be the final Dewey Fynn in School of Rock. That would have be interesting actually.

Joshua Rosenthal
#66Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 9:28pm

Dollypop said: "Melania Trump in MAME"

Is this real?

Alex Kulak2
#67Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 9:32pm

BeNice said: "Rebel Wilson was rumored to be considered to be the final Dewey Fynn in School of Rock. That would have be interesting actually."

...can we get a wellness check on Andrew Lloyd Webber?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#68Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/27/20 at 10:34pm

I remember the "Carmen Cusack is the next Dina in The Band's Visit" rumor like it was yesterday.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#69Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/29/20 at 1:26pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "BeNice said: "Rebel Wilson was rumored to be considered to be the final Dewey Fynn in School of Rock. That would have be interesting actually."

...can we get a wellness check on Andrew Lloyd Webber?
"

Believe me, he's needed it for far longer than that, but to disagree with you, I actually agree with BeNice. I think that would have been very interesting. There's nothing so specifically male about the role that it can't be played by a female actress, and Rebel Wilson has never been all that "typically female" (as narrower minds think of it) in her acting anyway. I actually think she and Alex Brightman have a lot of similar qualities.

While we're on ALW shows, though, there were a flurry of rumors during the 2000 revival of JCS about who would replace Jason Pebworth as Judas after he bottomed out during previews. Ultimately, they elevated Tony Vincent to Judas (and, in turn, Michael K. Lee, now a sensation in Korea, to Simon), but story has it that offers were made to names like Adam Pascal who turned it down cold.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#70Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/29/20 at 10:13pm

I remember about a decade ago there were rumors that a revival of "Hello Dolly" was in the works, starring Dolly Parton. Parton laughed it off, but I think there were some conversations between the producers and her, before it fell apart.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#71Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/29/20 at 10:58pm

David10086 said: "I remember about a decade ago there were rumors that a revival of "Hello Dolly" was in the works, starring Dolly Parton. Parton laughed it off, but I think there were some conversations between the producers and her, before it fell apart. "

I would still play big bucks to see her take on Dolly.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#72Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/30/20 at 11:06am

Gwyneth and Blythe in Night Music

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#73Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/30/20 at 12:12pm

Not a rumour but I’d have loved to see how Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming fared in Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

Mel B as Paulette in Legally Blonde UK.

Megan Hilty (and/or) Kristen Chenoweth’s revival of Best Little Whore House in Texas.

Any number of the rumours regarding Hedwig. Any number of the rumours regarding Dolly.

Lady Gaga as Audrey in a new film adaption of Little Shop.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#74Casting rumors that never happened, but you wish did
Posted: 12/31/20 at 1:59am

Kim Cattrall as Phyllis in the Kennedy Center run of Follies. I remember her casting was on the BWW home page in the same article that reported Bernadette’s Sally. I’m so so grateful we ended up getting Jan Maxwell’s brilliant, perfect performance, but I’d still love to see Kim tackle the role somewhere. I wonder if that rumor was total nonsense or if Kim was really on board or being courted.

Videos