pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 33

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#800SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 3:32pm

tirecage said: "The powers that be over at SLIH have gotten mighty bold and stingy with their “winning lottery” ticket locations. A $40 ticket got me a side balcony seat - not much of a bargain, considering the cost of a full-price balcony seat is not all that much more. The kicker is that you are stuck with the lousy seat because you prepay for your lottery ticket upon winning without knowing your seat location. Pretty tricky way to sell off your lousy seats by calling them winning lottery seats. Learn from my mistake - don’t fall for it. This show can use all the goodwill it can muster right now, and stocking lottery winners in the nosebleeds is not gonna help matters. Give the nosebleeds to the heavily papered seatfillers instead. Felt too disconnected from the show up there in the balcony to give any kind of ringing endorsement, unfortunately, though the actors are giving their all and then some."

I’ve sat in the last row of the balcony twice now. Once on the side, once direct head on. You can see everything perfectly fine in that theater. If you need to be “connected” to the show, pay the price for that experience. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#801SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 3:49pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they close off the balcony in the Winter if they plan to keep this running.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jarethan
#802SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 4:26pm

I think Sondheim said that, if audience members are humming a tune from a previously unfamiliar musical, it can only be because the composer has seen fit to repeat the tune many times - which is why he heard so many people humming "A Weekend in the Country" at intermission. :)" I’m really don’t understand your last comment.  Could you elaborate.

Ironically, on the general issue of instantly memorable scores (o at least a few songs), I have more often than not left my first viewing of Sondheim musicals disappointed, because I rarely appreciate the music on first hearing.  After listening to it awhile. I have always enjoyed the show more the next time as a result.  Two exceptions: Follies, where I could hum half the score (pastiche helps: the melodies were simpler) and a few Sweeney Todd songs, specifically: the title song, whose main melody was repeated a dozen times; A Little Priest, a catchy patter song with hilarious lyrics, and Johanna, because it was so gorgeous.

I can’t remember the last new score in which I left the theatre humming a few of the songs after first hearing.  It might have been Wicked, 20 years ago.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#803SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 5:09pm

I believe that in the distant past we left theaters humming certain songs simply because we entered the theaters humming the same songs. They were enmeshed in our culture; we were exposed to them on the radio and every TV variety show. Times have changed. Today, whether I leave the theater remembering any particular tune rarely has any relationship to how much I enjoyed the show. If it touched me in that special way, the songs will become a part of me over time.  

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#804SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 5:15pm

Jarethan said: "I’m really don’t understand your last comment. Could you elaborate."

I tried to find a reference online, but the best I could do was an old post from this message board. So I'll just quote AwesomeDanny from 2009:

I believe Sondheim said in an interview once that during a preview of the original production of A Little Night Music, at the intermission, somebody said "that song, "A Weekend in the Country" is such a catchy tune", to which Sondheim's reply is "that's because you just heard eleven choruses!". For a melody to be "hummable", you need to hear it over and over, which would require the score to be very repetitive. I would rather have a less repetitive score with fewer melodies I remember when I leave the theater.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#805SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 6:50pm

During the vaudeville era, it was often customary for the final dance act to do the Goofus, a show-offy dance sequence, and then the whole cast and even the crew would come in and join in for the simplified version called the Shim Sham. The Shim Sham was so infectious and easy to pick up that the audience would dance it as well, and people would be out dancing the Shim Sham all night afterwards. Probably the last time people left the theatre not humming the songs but dancing the choreography.

ManOfLaMuncha
#806SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 12:11am

darquegk said: "During the vaudeville era, it was often customary for the final dance act to do the Goofus, a show-offy dance sequence, and then the whole cast and even the crew would come in and join in for the simplified version called the Shim Sham. The Shim Sham was so infectious and easy to pick up that the audience would dance it as well, and people would be out dancing the Shim Sham all night afterwards. Probably the last time people left the theatre not humming the songs but dancing the choreography."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9hH08dH98U

Had to look up the shim sham, looks fun!

tirecage
#807SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 3:14am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "tirecage said: "The powers that be over at SLIH have gotten mighty bold and stingy with their “winning lottery” ticket locations. A $40 ticket got me a side balcony seat - not much of a bargain, considering the cost of a full-price balcony seat is not all that much more. The kicker is that you are stuck with the lousy seat because you prepay for your lottery ticket upon winning without knowing your seat location. Pretty tricky way to sell off your lousy seats by calling them winning lottery seats. Learn from my mistake - don’t fall for it. This show can use all the goodwill it can muster right now, and stocking lottery winners in the nosebleeds is not gonna help matters. Give the nosebleeds to the heavily papered seatfillers instead. Felt too disconnected from the show up there in the balcony to give any kind of ringing endorsement, unfortunately, though the actors are giving their all and then some."

I’ve sat in the last row of the balcony twice now. Once on the side, once direct head on. You can see everything perfectly fine in that theater. If you need to be “connected” to the show, pay the price for that experience.
"

Thanks for your (somewhat dismissive) opinion on the balcony, GiantsInTheSky2, but I don’t know that reading it changes anything about my own observation of the balcony seat location I was in. I still call it a lousy seat.  

Once upon a time, lottery seats were special, a la the front row lottery seats for Rent in the 90s, where you got a predetermined (read: front row) seating location at a bargain price. I think you completely missed the point of my post — calling seats “winning lottery” seats only to use them as excuses to unload less-than-desirable seats that can’t otherwise be sold at full price feels a bit disingenuous on the part of the box office, especially when the “full price” for the balcony seats are not much more than the lottery price. 

Oh, and on a related note, I don’t — as a rule — pay full price for an “experience” at a struggling musical. Sorry ‘bout it. 

Updated On: 12/31/22 at 03:14 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#808SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 5:38am

You know they don't have to do a lottery or rush AT ALL, right? Your entitlement is showing, and not a good look for a newbie.

You want good seats? Pay for them. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JasonC3
#809SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 6:54am

I'm not wading into any discussions of perceived entitlement, but it definitely is true that once upon a time lottery seats were blocked off in fairly decent locations and that rarely is true nowadays.  I remember getting front row orchestra center lottery seats for a variety of shows.

tirecage
#810SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 7:38am

dramamama611 said: "You know they don't have to do a lottery or rush AT ALL, right? Your entitlement is showing, and not a good look for a newbie.

"

Here we go — dramamama611 living up to their name, huh? Entitlement is quite the strong word. Seems I’ve struck a nerve, though. Maybe we’re wading into a completely different discussion — are failing shows worth full-price tickets in the first place? Are “full-priced tickets” truly worth their full price without the buzz of true raves, consistent sellouts, or a true “star” leading the show? Have you checked the grosses for SLIH for last week?! Anemic. Maybe the entitlement falls on the part of producers who think their shows are entitled to fetch upwards of $175 a seat just because they present themselves in a “Broadway” house? Are theater owners the entitled ones who deem their dilapidated houses worthy of their astronomical rent, yet more often than not their tenants can’t afford to stay open because of this ridiculous rent in the first place? Food for thought —

…and dramamama611, double-check the 2013 date I joined the boards before you dismiss me as a newbie. Just because I lurk more than post doesn’t disqualify me from calling things out. Get off your high horse, sweetie — love and kisses.

Updated On: 12/31/22 at 07:38 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#811SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 8:44am

I'm with dramamama... complaining about lottery seating locations is tacky. Balcony seats for this show are selling from roughly $105-$75, so $45 IS a pretty good discount. PLUS, the FAQ explicitly states the following...

Where are my ticket locations?

Seats may be located in any section of the theater. While every effort will be made to seat pairs together with a full view, there is a chance that pairs may be split up and that your seat may have a partial view of the stage.

Lottery and rush seats are always a gamble... If you want to know your exact seat locations, pay full price and pick exactly where you want to sit.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 12/31/22 at 08:44 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#812SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 10:07am

My TDF seats were second row balcony, and damned good seats by any yardstick. It's actually the exact spot where I saw the Midler Dolly, for twice the price. I don't quite understand all the grousing about bad seats offered at a discount, steep or otherwise, but we all have our preferences.  

Mainly, had the show not been on TDF the morning after the Times review appeared, I wouldn't have booked that Wednesday matinee and seen this delightful show. So TDF served, and since I've recommended the show to several people -- like me, previously indifferent -- it's all good. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/31/22 at 10:07 AM

Owen22
#813SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 10:21am

I remember at one time in the West End, seats they couldn't sell we're sold the day of performance at a discount rate. From the opening of box office that day. These were called Day Seats. I think I saw Billy Elliot that way, they were that recent. They didn't have lotteries there. Then. I'm guessing they do now and Day Seats are a thing of the past?

chrishuyen
#814SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 10:26am

It's not necessarily every unsold seats but some shows still have day seats. For Mary Poppins you could book them online (and had quite a good range of options) and for Matilda it was only for people 25 and under I believe and were only located in upper circle. Essentially they're the same as rush tickets though, and while some shows do have lottery in the west end, I think digital rush is probably the most common from my experience (lottery tends to mostly be for particularly popular shows). 

Ensemble1671017357
#815SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 12:04pm

tirecage said: "dramamama611 said: "You know they don't have to do a lottery or rush AT ALL, right? Your entitlement is showing, and not a good look for a newbie.

"

Here we go — dramamama611 living up to their name, huh? Entitlement is quite the strong word. Seems I’ve struck a nerve, though. Maybe we’re wading into a completely different discussion — are failing shows worth full-price tickets in the first place? Are “full-priced tickets” truly worth their full price without the buzz of true raves, consistent sellouts, or a true “star” leading the show? Have you checked the grosses for SLIH for last week?! Anemic. Maybe the entitlement falls on the part of producers who think their shows are entitled to fetch upwards of $175 a seat just because they present themselves in a “Broadway” house? Are theater owners the entitled ones who deem their dilapidated houses worthy of their astronomical rent, yet more often than not their tenants can’t afford to stay open because of this ridiculous rent in the first place? Food for thought —

…and dramamama611, double-check the 2013 date I joined the boards before you dismiss me as a newbie. Just because I lurk more than post doesn’t disqualify me from calling things out. Get off your high horse, sweetie — love and kisses.
"

Entitlement. Pithy and apt.

JasonC3
#816SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 12:56pm

Some of you are just exhausting.

SouthernCakes
#817SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 1:05pm

Watched the GMA appearance and didn’t even make it halfway through. What a slog. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#818SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/22 at 2:14pm

JasonC3 said: "Some of you are just exhausting."

This could be in any and every thread on these boards.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#819SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 5:02pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "JasonC3 said: "Some of you are just exhausting."

This could be in any and every thread on these boards.
"

Why can’t we all just get along!? 
Happy New Year!!!!

JSquared2
#820SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 5:49pm

tirecage said: "

Thanks for your (somewhat dismissive) opinion on the balcony,GiantsInTheSky2, but I don’t know that reading it changes anything about my own observation of the balcony seat location I was in. I still call it a lousy seat.

Once upon a time, lottery seats were special, a la the front row lottery seats for Rent in the 90s, where you got a predetermined (read: front row) seating location at a bargain price. I think you completely missed the point of my post — calling seats “winning lottery” seats only to use them as excuses to unload less-than-desirable seats that can’t otherwise be sold at full price feels a bit disingenuous on the part of the box office, especially when the “full price” for the balcony seats are not much more than the lottery price.

Oh, and on a related note, I don’t — as a rule — pay full price for an “experience” at a struggling musical. Sorry ‘bout it.
"

Please consider going back to just "lurking".  Your sense of entitlement is exhausting.  HNY!

tirecage
#821SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 9:35pm

JSquared2 said: "tirecage said: "

Thanks for your (somewhat dismissive) opinion on the balcony,GiantsInTheSky2, but I don’t know that reading it changes anything about my own observation of the balcony seat location I was in. I still call it a lousy seat.

"

Please consider going back to just "lurking". Your sense of entitlement is exhausting. HNY!
"

…when I can elicit bitchy remarks from the likes of you, JSquared2? No, it’s what I LIVE for. wink

Seriously though, dolls, let’s get this thread back on track and try to save this flailing show. HNY!

Updated On: 1/1/23 at 09:35 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#822SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 10:35pm

Maybe Mariah will step in as Big Sue LOL she should at least see the show as she's a producer aka investor and do some publicity for it! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#823SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 11:29pm

JSquared2 said: “Please consider going back to just "lurking". Your sense of entitlement is exhausting. HNY!"

Not sure it’s entitlement so much as an acknowledgment that we used to get a better product for a cheaper price and now we get an inferior product for an inflated price.

Rush and lottery tickets used to feel special; it’s perfectly acceptable to long for those earlier days. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#824SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/23 at 11:37pm

I still think rush and lottery are special... you probably won't receive tickets every time you try, but whenever you "win" them, that has to feel good. And though prices have inflated, I believe they remain cheaper than most discount outlets. 

The next-best ticketing result to comps, IMHO. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/1/23 at 11:37 PM

Videos