pixeltracker

2022 Tony Award Performances- Page 4

2022 Tony Award Performances

ashley0139
#752022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/9/22 at 9:09pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "VotePeron said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "I was at the rehearsals earlier for a few minutes (work related) and I watched COMPANY rehearsing. I know what they’re performing. cheeky"

You and all the “broadway gossipers” on twitter — ffs, spill the tea or don’t say anything at all. No one thinks you’re cool for withholding information.
"

I will confirm Katrina is part of it. As is LuPone. And also other cast members.
"

Yeah Nikki Renee Daniels posted a picture of them all at rehearsal earlier so...no new information there.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ashley0139
#762022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/9/22 at 10:16pm

Company is definitely doing the opening number (at least).

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

VintageSnarker
#772022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/9/22 at 10:57pm

Robbie2 said: "Alot of buzz aroundParadise Square'sJoaquina Kalukango and Sutton could even take it but Joaquina just may take it over Sharon D. Clarke!"

Joaquina is very talented but I'm sending my parents to see Paradise Square and after thinking about it, I decided I couldn't make myself sit through the whole show with them just to see Let It Burn again. Sharon had the opportunity to create a much fuller performance because the role is so much better written. 

BCfitasafiddle
#782022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 3:07pm

Saw a picture of Hugh and Sutton in their tap shoes on the passerelle at Radio City! Most excited to see their performance.

Also, Spring Awakening will not be an in-memoriam performance. They are re-creating the original set and doing full staging. Thrilling!

Updated On: 6/10/22 at 03:07 PM

pagereynolds
#792022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 3:38pm

OhHiii said: "I’d be willing to bet we’re getting a Sunday performance from the Gay Men’s Chorus. I hope the Sondheim tribute, as much as I love her, isn’t solely Bernadette. He deserves a big sendoff."

All I know about the NYCGMC performance is that it will be during the first hour (Paramount+).

BCfitasafiddle
#802022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 6:27pm

The opening number has been written by Lucy Moss and Toby Marlow of Six. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#812022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 6:54pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Saw a picture of Hugh and Sutton in their tap shoes on the passerelle at Radio City! Most excited to see their performance.

Also, Spring Awakening will not be an in-memoriam performance. They are re-creating the original set and doing full staging. Thrilling!
"

what's the purpose of doing all this and spending all the money? To push the documentary? 

andrewsmash
#822022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 7:28pm

Has a show that's currently running ever sung the in-memoriam? I feel like Girl From the North Country's Forever Young would be so pretty for it.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#832022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 7:34pm

andrewsmash said: "Has a show that's currently running ever sung the in-memoriam?”

Dear Evan Hansen did perform during the In Memoriam segment in 2018 (although it was just a year after winning Best Musical).

CityLights3
#842022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 9:53pm

That list of presenters is almost an A++ of everyone you’d want at 1 TONY telecast, but what does 2 Time TONY winner Donna Murphy have to do to join the ranks of presenters on a more regular basis?   No disrespect to the folks we see year after year, it wouldn’t be a TONY night without them, but Ms Murphy has only appeared at the 5 telecasts where she has been nominated.  It would have been a divine year to capitalize on the continuing career highs for Tony nominee & winners Carrie Coon/Donna Murphy, Christine Baranski/Cynthia Nixon and Audra McDonald/Kelli O’Hara as presenters. 

Dollypop
#852022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 10:13pm

Rumor has it that Hugh Jackman is going to reprise the hopping he did when he last MC'ed the Tony Awards.

Can't wait!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#862022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/10/22 at 10:22pm

ashley0139 said: "Company is definitely doing the opening number (at least)."

Yeah, seeing the set behind Claybourne's Insta post, I figured that, too.

Question is, Is it a medley? I'm hoping we get more than the Opening. There's no narrative to that song, so out of context and rest of the show, it's repetitive.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they didn't feature Patti. She's the main ticket draw...

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#872022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 12:23am

My guess is that Company is doing the opening number but with lots of LuPone close ups. Would've loved for them to do “Not Getting Married” but maybe that would've been too costly since they already had the opening set built and ready to go. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#882022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 10:22am

Is A Strange Loop doing "Inner White Girl" or the "Intermission" opening? Or perhaps a piece of both? The show's lyrics make most of the numbers prohibitive, though Spring Awakening famously worked with that. I still believe "Inner White Girl" makes the best case for the show to a broader audience, and at this point is the show's touching signature song. But I like the whole score.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

BWAY Baby2
#892022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 10:33am

I do not think the lyrics to Inner White Girl are much of a draw for most of the audience. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#902022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 10:42am

I think “Intermission Song” into a solo like “Inner White Girl” is the most sensible showcase.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#912022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 12:37pm

I was hoping a few of Rupauls queens would be lipsynching for their life to Dana H. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

chrishuyen
#922022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 4:51pm

Probably a long shot but I'm kind of hoping A Strange Loop does Exile in Gayville, if they cut the F-words and the ending I think it should be TV appropriate. I'd also love to see something like Boundaries or Memory Song but I doubt it. I do think Inner White Girl is probably the best song to showcase to a general audience (along with Intermission Song and Today maybe) but I feel like they've already done so many promos with it that they might try something different. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#932022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 5:30pm

^^ You must be kidding about that song being performed on CBS. That will never, ever, ever happen.

BWAY Baby2 said: "I do not think the lyrics to Inner White Girl are much of a draw for most of the audience."

That is the song to get people in the door. Most of the songs are too explicit or sexualized to perform at the Tonys. Inner White Girl or Intermission Song will be featured along with another? Great hook on both. 

Updated On: 6/12/22 at 05:30 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#942022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/11/22 at 9:27pm

Jennifer Holliday's WOW moment last year at the TONY AWARDS 2021!  

https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/video/X_QoHng_rwxO6Skn9x4EQYPySjWAQSgP/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#952022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/12/22 at 9:05am

Bill Snibson said: "My guess is that Company is doing the opening number but with lots of LuPone close ups. Would've loved for them to do “Not Getting Married” but maybe that would've been too costly since they already had the opening set built and ready to go."

Yeah, that's always seemed the least likely. Yes, it stops the show, but part of the reason is the staging and the full, very clever use of the set. So, yeah, too costly.

But again, I'll be bummed if they just do the Opening. It's just not very interesting of a song and ain't gonna sell a ticket.

Also, I recall hearing once the choice of number is a collaboration betw the show and Tonys. Often the Tonys make and request of which number. I can't imagine anyone could've watched Company and chosen the Opening...

MemorableUserName
#962022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/12/22 at 9:35am

Updated On: 6/12/22 at 09:35 AM

Theatrefanboy1
#972022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/12/22 at 9:50am

I’m guessing chorus sing Sunday. Billy Porter sings Not While I’m Around. Bernadette sings. not A Day Goes By. (If not send in the clowns. Which I hope they choose something interesting for her)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#982022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/12/22 at 10:39am

BJR said: "Bill Snibson said: "My guess is that Company is doing the opening number but with lots of LuPone close ups. Would've loved for them to do “Not Getting Married” but maybe that would've been too costly since they already had the opening set built and ready to go."

Yeah, that's always seemed the least likely. Yes, it stops the show, but part of the reason is the staging and the full, very clever use of the set. So, yeah, too costly.

But again, I'll be bummed if they just do the Opening. It's just not very interesting of a song and ain't gonna sell a ticket.

Also, I recall hearing once the choice of number is a collaboration betw the show and Tonys. Often the Tonys make and request of which number. I can't imagine anyone could've watched Company and chosen the Opening...
"

The opening number of Company is easily the catchiest song in the entire show. It’s one of my all time favorite Sondheim songs, one of the few times in his words that he used a “soft rock” style. I get why they chose it, but we’ve seen them do it so many times now. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#992022 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 6/12/22 at 10:42am

If you check Claybourne’s insta story, it looks like the club set behind him. I’m guessing they’re doing the opening number into LWL. 

Videos