pixeltracker

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer- Page 4

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#75City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:22pm

Nikki Renee Daniels and David Patrick Kelly are continuing with the production for the Broadway run.

New to the show are Ana Gasteyer as the Queen, Daniel Breaker as the Jester, Will Chase as Sir Harry, and Brooks Ashmanskas as the Wizard. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#76City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:22pm

ANA GASTEYER?!? We won.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 03:22 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#77City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:25pm

Gasteyer doesn’t read old enough as Urie’s mom although I haven’t seen her in a bit. Glad Daniels is continuing.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#78City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:32pm

Nothing against Ana Gasteyer, but without Harriet Harris this just became a lot less interesting to me.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#79City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:36pm

Harriet Harris was the best thing about this production.  I don’t think Ana Gasteyer will be nearly as good. Shes too average mom, not evil villain. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#80City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:49pm

A few tidbits on this principal casting:

• Donkey and Fiona are back together!
  • Assuming Notebook doesn’t shutter by the end of the month, both Chase and Ingrid M will be working a block away from each other at the same time. Sweet.
  • Ashmanskas gets to pass a bit of time before he assumedly continues with Smash in the spring.  

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#81City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:51pm

Gasteyer is great casting, and also means a bit more than Harris at the box office. Sure, she's only 14 years older than Urie and 8 years older than Foster, but this is a fairytale where nothing really matters.

I thought Harriet was fine but nothing spectacular at NYCC, which is how I felt about the NYCC production in general. Wonder how much of a reinvention this will be in physical production/writing/arrangements?

No ensemble announcement yet, which is odd since they probably begin rehearsal this week, but this is clearly coming together at the last second.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 03:51 PM

corninthesky Profile Photo
corninthesky
#82City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:11pm

Really excited about this announcement. Wonder if we will get a new cast recording. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:21pm

Love me some Ana Gasteyer! Can't believe this will be her first Broadway credit since 2009!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#84City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:24pm

Liked Jackson better as Harry, but knew he wouldn’t take the role more permanently since his life and family are in LA. Will Chase is okay, but I would’ve liked someone like Jelani Alladin. 

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 04:24 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#85City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:33pm

Nikki Renee Daniels transferring is what matters most to me. SO glad her wonderful performance will be seen by so many more people. 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#86City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:46pm

Broadway Flash said: "Harriet Harris was the best thing about this production. I don’t think Ana Gasteyer will be nearly as good. Shes too average mom, not evil villain."

Yet again, do you know who Ana Gasteyer is?! 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#87City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:51pm

TheatreMonkey said: "Broadway Flash said: "Harriet Harris was the best thing about this production. I don’t think Ana Gasteyer will be nearly as good. Shes too average mom, not evil villain."

Yet again, do youknowwho Ana Gasteyer is?!
"

Right?!? Imagine thinking Ana Gasteyer can only do 1 thing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#88City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:53pm

If your knowledge of Gasteyer were limited exclusively to Mean Girls, I guess that makes sense.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#90City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 5:13pm

I’ve seen plenty of her work especially from SNL.  I understand actors can play different things.  Nobody can play evil comedy like Harriet Harris, she was perfect in this role.  I’m assuming they tossed her out for Ana Gasteyer?

hearthemsing22
#91City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 5:19pm

Broadway Flash said: "I’ve seen plenty of her work especially from SNL. I understand actors can play different things. Nobody can play evil comedy like Harriet Harris, she was perfect in this role. I’m assuming they tossed her out for Ana Gasteyer?"

We also never know what's going on behind the scenes with casting. Harriet could have declined to come to Broadway. Ana could have been considered for NYCC, declined, then became available for Broadway- so many scenarios and we can speculate all we want- we'll never know 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#92City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 5:21pm

More likely Harris wasn't interested in something with a longer run and a move to Los Angeles so they had to find someone else.

Edit: I guess I was writing this at the same time as hearthemsing

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 05:21 PM

hearthemsing22
#93City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 5:34pm

inception said: "More likely Harris wasn't interested in something with alonger runanda move to Los Angeles so they had to find someone else.

Edit: I guess I was writing this at the same time as hearthemsing
"

Great minds! smiley

Listener
#94City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:34pm

Ana G will surely be a lot of fun in this, but I was really looking forward to finally seeing Harriet with Sutton, as a mini Millie reunion.

Urie is the casting I'm least confident about. No spoilers please but....does he work in his part?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#95City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:38pm

I thought Urie was fun. He doesn’t have the strongest voice, but that works for his character. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#96City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:38pm

Someone on Twitter said Gasteyer should also stand by for Winnifred and now I can’t get that out of my head. She’d be sensational, but she’ll kill it as the Queen as well.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#97City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:39pm

NOWaWarning said: "Someone on Twitter said Gasteyer should also stand by for Winnifred and now I can’t get that out of my head. She’d be sensational, but she’ll kill it as the Queen as well."

She would sing the hell out of "Shy."

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#98City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:55pm

Kad said: She would sing the hell out of "Shy.""

Right?! And imagine her Happily Ever After!

terrilovesNY
#99City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 9:00pm

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated that the ticket I bought during presale is now listed $30 cheaper (front row balcony) and the entire theatre pricing seems to have been restructured as I’m looking at tickets tonight for shows during previews. I know Broadway is a business and certainly prices could have increased after today’s announcement, I’ve just not experienced this type of pricing change in all the years I’ve attended Broadway shows. Sigh. 

Videos