pixeltracker

Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE - Page 5

Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#100Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 9:50pm

Just getting home from tonight's blissful performance and am happy to report that Holliday killed it right out of the gate. She looks great, her voice is still phenomenal and she really got Shug down. Her chemistry with Cynthia is wonderful. 

The whole show couldn't be in better shape, and yes, Doyle was in attendance. 

Every time is see this revival I just love it more and more. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#101Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 9:56pm

Wow! I always seems to agree with Whizzer and am pleasantly surprised. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:00pm

thanks, Whizzer. Glad to her Holliday is doing well. Was really fearing some bad reports about her, but your review makes me want to see the show again. I'm mad I missed Headley as Shug.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#103Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:00pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Just getting home from tonight's blissful performance and am happy to report that Holliday killed it right out of the gate. She looks great, her voice is still phenomenal and she really got Shug down. Her chemistry with Cynthia is wonderful. 

The whole show couldn't be in better shape, and yes, Doyle was in attendance. 

Every time is see this revival I just love it more and more. 

Thank you very much for your report Whizzer. My initial fears have been quelled. I will be purchasing a ticket asap!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#104Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:01pm

sunny -- I can't tell you, why anyone does what they do except for myself.   I've definitely had pre-thoughts on performances before seeing them....doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it just means that's my thought, opinion -- whatever..  My POINT was: MOST people will go see for themselves and happily report back what they actually thought.  (As evidenced by the posts above.)

Of course not everyone will be open minded....but why harp on those people, they aren't going to change.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 10/4/16 at 10:01 PM

brettcx5
#105Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:05pm

I was just wondering, did Holliday wear a jacket during push da button like in the promo shots, and what did she wear for the "nude" scene. Just curious ??

WhizzerMarvin
#106Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:14pm

No jacket during Push da Button; it's the same costume, except Holliday's also has sleeves. 

She leaves all the undergarments on for the nude scene. Otherwise all the costumes are the same. 

Doyle doesn't shy away from having her play to her age, and therefore the final confrontation she has with Celie really finds some new layers. "No one thinks I'm beautiful anymore, except you Celie" wounded deeply. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

brettcx5
#107Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:16pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "No jacket during Push da Button; it's the same costume, except Holliday's also has sleeves. 

She leaves all the undergarments on for the nude scene. Otherwise all the costumes are the same. 

Doyle doesn't shy away from having her play to her age, and therefore the final confrontation she has with Celie really finds some new layers. "No one thinks I'm beautiful anymore, except you Celie" wounded deeply. 

"Oh interesting. Were they halve sleeves?

Updated On: 10/4/16 at 10:16 PM

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#108Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:19pm

Are they selling any Holliday related merchandise yet?

WhizzerMarvin
#109Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:23pm

No, if I'm remembering correctly the sleeves went all the way down to her wrists. They were very sparkly and worked with the outfit. 

brettcx5
#110Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:24pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "No, if I'm remembering correctly the sleeves went all the way down to her wrists. They were very sparkly and worked with the outfit. 

"Oh. Thank you for answering, very interesting 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#111Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:30pm

Found the below picture and video on instagram! Glad to hear she's killing it.

Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLKcXJ5h9E8/?hl=en

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#112Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:34pm

How did Holliday play her entrance? I was captivated from the very moment Headley's Shug stepped foot on stage and spewed her venomous "You sure is ugly."

sklabam
#113Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:56pm

puhleeeze, jeezus.

That's a cut and paste job putting that head on Heather Headley's body!

Can't wait to see this one with Jennifer Holiday.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:59pm

idk, that video of her first bow sure makes her head look huge. Maybe it's just the costume.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#115Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/4/16 at 11:04pm

Her head hasn't matched her body for quite some time. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#116Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 9:53am

Without ever seeing the movie, I decided to see this what the story was about in order to catch Jennifer Hudson but when I saw the video of Cynthia singing Purple Rain, she became my #1 interest.  By the time I coordinated with friends, I missed Hudson and saw the show the week when Cynthia returned after the Tony Awards and I loved it!  I've only seen it with Heather Headly and adored her Shug every time.  

I just returned from London to fulfill my desire to see In The Heights, and I was so happy to see the in-flight entertainment included The Color Purple movie which I watched, and enjoyed.  I liked how many lines from the movie is actually included in the show, making both connect for me.  Shug Avery in the movie seemed to me like a much older and mature figure than Jennifer Hudson or Heather Headley so after watching the movie, it made me think that as much as I cringed at the casting of Holliday, that it could work.  Me and my colleague at work have been debating to go see this with Holliday or not.  Think we may make the trip!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#117Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 10:43am

Can't wait to see this for a fourth time.

Malinda5000
#118Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:13pm

Just wanted to thank you for your positive "review" of the iconic Ms. Jennifer Holliday.  Since the first announcement of her broadway return in The Color Purple, posts on this particular chat board did nothing but spew negativity of how "they" thought she was soooooo bleeping wrong for the role of Shug Avery especially in this particular production.  HOW DARE SHE PLAY A SEXY WOMAN AT HER AGE... SHE'S A BAD CHOICE...WHAT WAS JOHN DOYLE THINKING...and so forth and so on.  So...now...when you come along with a good review ALL of the little queens fall in line. People went as far to say that her head is too big for her body... how cruel are they.  Well....what about praising her for her talent?  Also what  about the fact that Ms.Holliday has MS and that she went blind in one eye or the fact that many moons ago she weighed about a zillion pounds ..lost the weight and kept it off for over twenty years...let's not forget how the show biz industry chewed her up and spat her out back then. Or how she couldn't get a job for years do to her battling depression.  Lets not forget that Ms. Holliday tried to commit suicide because of people (like on this chat board) would spew hate and say she was too fat or too this or too that. and  now they cyber bully her and others so THEY can feel better about who they are.  So I thank YOU for NOT being a Bleeping bleep-hole and just praising her performance for what it is.  MS.Jennifer Holliday is a BROADWAY LEGEND who ...despite what she has been through is forever our true DREAMGIRL.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:19pm

Oh my.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#120Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:28pm

You go, girl (Malinda and Holliday both). Expletives aside, I agree - this board has often jumped to judgement without good reason in the past. Some valid, some not so much, nearly all of it baseless.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

MyLife
#121Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:31pm

Malinda, I was with you but you lost me when you said Holliday weighed a zillion pounds. Someone on her side shouldn't zing her with those words, hyperbolic or not.

Malinda5000
#122Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:41pm

"a zillion pounds" bad choice of words. I stand corrected. No offense to anyone or Ms. Holliday.

Malinda5000
#123Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:43pm

"a zillion pounds" bad choice of words. I stand corrected. No offense to anyone or Ms. Holliday.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#124Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 10/5/16 at 1:50pm

Exactly one person on the board has seen the performance in question.  Calm down. 

Videos