pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 5

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#101COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 11:58am

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Taraji-P-Henson-to-Star-in-THE-COLOR-PURPLE-Film-as-Shug-Avery-20220201?fbclid=IwAR23XiJMXVr5mcECQa2gQvloYsODqnzE1X-FvT28GEg9F0F9wCDpg3csZdY

Taraji P. Henson has been cast as Shug Avery
"

I’m not a fan of this casting at all. So many people who feel like better choices to me. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#102COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 11:59am

Taraji P. Henson has been cast as Shug Avery"

Hm. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#103COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:00pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Taraji-P-Henson-to-Star-in-THE-COLOR-PURPLE-Film-as-Shug-Avery-20220201?fbclid=IwAR23XiJMXVr5mcECQa2gQvloYsODqnzE1X-FvT28GEg9F0F9wCDpg3csZdY

"

Oh wow. I think she can KILL at this role. She certainly has the glamour, sexuality, vulnerability, and can hold the tune needed. I can't wait to see who they get for Celie.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#104COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:07pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "I think Erivo sang the hell out of it. I think Fantasia was better. I just don’t find Erivo’s acting nuanced enough…"

Agreed.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#105COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:12pm

"

Here’s hoping she can push the (right) buttons.

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#106COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:16pm

Taraji will be fabulous.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#107COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:53pm

Was hoping for Janelle Monae, but she will be fabulous.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#108COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 1:55pm

So excited for Taraji. They needed a powerhouse actress for the role, and they got one with her!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#109COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 3:40pm

After seeing her as Ms. Hannigan, this doesn't interest me at all. That performance was one of the most chaotic, unfocused performances I've ever seen. Hopefully she will surprise me, as I have loved her in other projects.

BCfitasafiddle
#110COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 3:44pm

Regarding her as Hannigan, she was definitely performing for the live audience and thinking of it as theatre. Film and TV is her bread and butter. She'll be in her wheelhouse.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#111COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 5:09pm

I guess I’m crazy for thinking the reason this movie is even happening was for Cynthia.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#112COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 5:41pm

Taraji seems like such “duh” casting now, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me before. I don’t really think her Hannigan is relevant other than it revealed that she has a good voice. She’s an incredible and respected film actress, a name, and is the right age and type for Shug.

I do wonder what is up with the casting of Celie. If it was Erivo, you’d think that deal would be long made and announced. Maybe she chose to do Wicked instead and now they’re having to look elsewhere.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#113COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 6:57pm

Not sure if I see it, I assumed she was cast as Sofia when  I saw the headline. More than willing to be proven wrong. 

teddy1996
#114COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 8:48pm

taraji p henson is an amazing actress and i think she will do a great job as shug. she has the sassiness, appeal and vulnerability of shug. and i would also love to see anika noni rose as nettie and jill scott as sophia

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#115COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:28pm

The director has only done two features?  Hmm...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#116COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:02pm

Well goes my hope that this will be a good movie. Doesn't even appear like they're talking to Erivo.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

singer234
#117COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:35am

I always thought it would be Cynthia, but looking at the situation closer, I can’t imagine why she would want to be a part of this movie. After everything that happened with Ben Platt “overstaying his welcome” as Evan (yes, I know the age factor played a big role), plus Wicked coming up, I imagine Cynthia would be ready to leave The Color Purple as part of her past.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#118COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/2/22 at 1:47pm

This Thursday, ABC will air a special called Soul of a Nation: Screen Queens Rising, about Black actresses in America, and, apparently, Oprah will announce casting for The Color Purple. I'm guessing we'll hear about Celie then.

teddy1996
#119COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:44am

i think either fantasia, cynthia, or a newcomer will be playing celie

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#120COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:35am

I'm guessing Celie will be played by a newcomer. otherwise why bother with a special televised announcement if it's Erivo or Fantasia.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#121COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:44am

ACL2006 said: "I'm guessing Celie will be played by a newcomer. otherwise why bother with a special televised announcement if it's Erivo or Fantasia."

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Also, Celie is such a good showcase for a talent that it honestly would feel a bit lazy to give it to someone who's already played it, imo. Let someone up and coming give it a try and make a new star.

PattiBeanieHeatherFan
#122COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 12:05pm

Do we think Celie could be played by a Broadway vet like Adrienne Warren or Ariana DeBose?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#123COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 12:47pm

PattiBeanieHeatherFan said: "Do we think Celie could be played by a Broadway vet like Adrienne Warren or Ariana DeBose?"

The fact that is is going to be announced on ABC, which is Disney owned, and they are also simultaneously running an Oscar campaign for Ariana DeBose...I feel like this seems likely at this point. Going from a star making performance in West Side Story to being the star of The Color Purple seems like a great narrative that marketing teams might think up.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#124COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 12:47pm

PattiBeanieHeatherFan said: "Do we think Celie could be played by a Broadway vet like Adrienne Warren or Ariana DeBose?"

The fact that is is going to be announced on ABC, which is Disney owned, and they are also simultaneously running an Oscar campaign for Ariana DeBose...I feel like this seems likely at this point. Going from a star making performance in West Side Story to being the star of The Color Purple seems like a great narrative that marketing teams might think up.

Videos