pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 58

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Angela897
#1425Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/9/23 at 9:30am

Barring any illness, Josh and Annaleigh will be performing Wednesday.  A few of the cast members posted a list of all the swings that were on on Sunday and it was a lot. Gaten, Ruthie, Daniel, Nick and John I believe were all out. Not sure how that will play out for Wednesday though. Good luck, and enjoy the show! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1426Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/9/23 at 9:45am

If there is a scheduled absence, you will see a message on Ticketmaster. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1427Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/9/23 at 10:11am

PanaroFan111 said: "OK this Wed matinne coming is my 3rd time trying to see Sweeney,

Last 2 Josh was out Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway

I dont really do the social media thing so does anyone know if there are any scheduled absences this upcoming Wed matinee?

Thanks for the help :)
"

There seems to be something going around in the cast (as well as vacations). Per my friend in the show, 13 cast members were out yesterday (including Miles, Matarazzo, N. Christopher, and Bilbao) and so it was an understudy all-skate with two of the ensemble having to split tracks and a lot of last minute role shuffling. 

Not sure what's been going on, but I would prepare yourself for many swings, covers, and understudies on Wednesday (though not sure if that would include Groban and Ashford).

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

PanaroFan111
#1428Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/9/23 at 10:21am

Thank you,

Thanks for the heads up.

Wow thats alot of people out for a Sunday Matinee.

pac2015
#1429Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 3:45am

Forgive me, but I have searched the internet. Have there been announcements for when Groban and Ashford are leaving the show? Trying to get to it in November. Thank you

OMG U Guyz
#1430Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 3:54am

pac2015 said: "Forgive me, but I have searched the internet. Have there been announcements for when Groban and Ashford are leaving the show? Trying to get to it in November. Thank you"

Josh has a scheduled absence 11/15 to 11/19 I believe but has said publicly he’s leaving in January - tickets are on sale til 1/15 so we assume that’s his last performance. Annaleigh hasn’t said publicly when she’s leaving but I’m assuming it will be the same date as Josh. 

MezzA101
#1431Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 7:54am

And there's no indication yet the show will continue after that date.

theblackumbrella
#1432Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 5:45pm

Kimberly Akimbo is getting a vinyl release. That’s great. When can we expect one for this cast recording?!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1433Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 8:12pm

MezzA101 said: "And there's no indication yet the show will continue after that date."

The show is set to close on January 15 as of now. There's been almost no rumors of replacements for Groban or Ashford. I think that closing date holds.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1434Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 8:21pm

*January 14

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#1435Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/11/23 at 9:36pm

I hate to say this but this production left me cold. It feels to me that it was staged but not directed. There's no clear vision, or an angle really, to guide the show or tell the audience why you should "attend the tale of Sweeney Todd," and, similarly, the performances by the usually talented cast did not congeal. Did they have very little time to prepare the production or/and rehearse? This is a complete letdown compared to Here We Are and Merrily.

pac2015
#1436Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/12/23 at 2:26am

thank you everyone. thankful that i can still see it when they are both around. i saw on the stage when groban was on comet of 1812 and there was one part of the show were he sang directly at me and looked in my eyes for a good 30 seconds. such a cool moment.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1438Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:19pm

Looks like it’ll be extending after all. Curious to see who they’ll bring in! I don’t think the direction of this revival is the draw here, but it’s still a great opportunity for the right pairing.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1439Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:23pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Looks like it’ll be extending after all.Curious to see who they’ll bring in! I don’t think the direction of this revival is the draw here, but it’s still a great opportunity for the right pairing."

I would just like a week with Kristen Chenoweth and Alan Cumming. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4B0nIuaTc

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1440Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:23pm

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES. 

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES. 

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES. 

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES. 

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES. 

amiyagi
#1441Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:28pm

Jordan Catalano said: "GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES.

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES.

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES.

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES.

GIVE ME AUDRA & STOKES.
"

I would just die.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1442Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:32pm

It also makes me wonder if whatever show was looking at booking the Lunt for the Spring is no longer happening?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1443Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:38pm

ACL2006 said: "It also makes me wonder if whatever show was looking at booking the Lunt for the Spring is no longer happening?"

Probably Tommy, but they now have the Nederlander after Shucked closes. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#1444Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:40pm

Don't laugh (okay you can laugh), but...I wonder if Travis Kelce can sing.

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 12:40 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1445Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:51pm

I'm curious as to who they have lined up for these roles and what the strategy is behind it.

Would love to see Audra & Stokes but the ticket sales would be abysmal. I also assume they want to continue with a younger Sweeney & Lovett, so a 65-year-old and a 53-year-old probably aren't in the cards. Same with a 75-year-old Lovett (Bernadette).

Rebel Wilson's one of those people who would cost a lot of money but probably doesn't deliver ticket sales, but...I'd like to see her Lovett sometime. 

I stand by my suggestion from a few weeks back if they want to go with no-names & lose money: Joshua Henry & Bonnie Milligan.

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 12:51 PM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#1446Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:53pm

The demand for the replacements won’t be as big as Groban but still pretty good names that will make the theatre girlies explode. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1447Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:55pm

Alex M said: "The demand for the replacements won’t be as big as Groban but still pretty good names that will make the theatre girlies explode."

Hints, please...

FolliesCabaret Profile Photo
FolliesCabaret
#1448Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:56pm

Alex M said: "The demand for the replacements won’t be as big as Groban but still pretty good names that will make the theatre girlies explode."

From what I've heard, the new Lovett is a Sondheim vet but this will be her first time doing Sondheim on Broadway. Very, very excited if it's true.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1449Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:58pm

I think it would be smart to replicate Into the Woods. Give us theater people every few weeks to keep the interest there. 

Videos