pixeltracker

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31- Page 61

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31

Phillyguy
#1500Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 7:53pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Ramin Karimloo announces on IG that he's joined the cast of "The Last Match: A Pro Wrestling Rock Musical"."

Wow, I wonder if that's why he's MIA until Sept 6. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1501Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 7:55pm

Um, duh?  He’s part of the concept album so it makes sense he also appears in the one-night-only concert staging, which is what this is.  It’s not a full stage production or a new Broadway musical.  

FranklinDickson2018
#1502Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 8:47pm

Just finished watching the Birdland concert with Julie Benko and her husband Jason Yaeger.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe it . If folks would hear her sing -- I think all this nonsense about "Eve Harrington" would just go away.  Julie is simply a marvelously talented singer and actress --- and judging from her onstage persona --- a warm caring person.  Her rapport with the audience was great.  The warmth is what I miss completely in Lea Michele.  But that is just my opinion.  How many of those calling out "Eve Harrington" have even heard Julie perform?  She is (in my opinion) probably without equal in the world of female vocalists today. And her husband is a brilliant pianist.  I expect more great things from them.  Interestingly Julie sang "Second Hand Rose" tonight and it was a charmer! 

And this article in Today pretty much conveys her persona.  https://www.today.com/popculture/popculture/julie-benko-funny-girl-understudy-rcna44857

Phillyguy
#1503Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 9:02pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "I can't find enough superlatives to describe it . If folks would hear her sing -- I think all this nonsense about "Eve Harrington" would just go away. Julie is simply a marvelously talented singer and actress --- and judging from her onstage persona --- a warm caring person. Her rapport with the audience was great. The warmth is what I miss completely in Lea Michele. But that is just my opinion."

I don't really understand why you feel the need to compare Julie to Lea who isn't yet on stage for Funny Girl. Have you seen her in person to say that she isn't warm? She always seems perfectly warm when I've seen her performing at the Tony's, at the Spring Awakening reunion, or on her Instagram. Keep in mind, Rachel Berry is not Lea Michele, that was just a role she played. 

Penna2
#1504Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 9:12pm

Phillyguy said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Ramin Karimloo announces on IG that he's joined the cast of "The Last Match: A Pro Wrestling Rock Musical"."

Wow, I wonder if that's why he's MIA until Sept 6.
"

This post was on his official fan website on Sunday: While I take some personal time away from work (returning Sept 6) I love being by water. Beautiful day to not have an agenda. Much love to all.

A single from the show dropped today and is on YouTube, so it's possible part of his absence is due to promoting both the song and the concert of The Last Match. The one-night concert is 9/26 (a Monday) so won't interfere with FG.

His film - Tomorrow Morning - also opened in the UK and is out on European DVD. He might be doing some interviews to promote that as well. I've seen two reviews and so far the critics are liking it. No interviews as yet.

Updated On: 8/29/22 at 09:12 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#1505Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 9:17pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "She is (in my opinion) probably without equal in the world of female vocalists today."

Uh, no.  But that is just my opinion.

Non sibi sed patriae

FranklinDickson2018
#1506Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 9:57pm

No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl.  Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl.  If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned.  I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer.  Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert.  Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl.  I wasn't.  Your misread my post.  Not what I wrote. 

Phillyguy
#1507Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 10:09pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

Well this is a post about Lea Michele starring in Funny Girl... not really about Julie.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#1508Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 11:03pm

Phillyguy said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

Well this is a post about Lea Michele starring in Funny Girl... not really about Julie.
"

Or Eve Harrington.

Phillyguy
#1509Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/29/22 at 11:25pm

Bette's Turban said: "Phillyguy said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

"

Or Eve Harrington.
"

I really need to watch All About Eve!

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1510Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 8:36am

Ay Dios All the Eve Harrington barbs! It's silly. It doesn't have to be a catfight.

Julie did what most covers do, she just got attention given the circumstances with Beanie.

Phillyguy
#1511Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 9:49am

We are only 1 week away from Lea Michele! 

I'm excited to see if she remakes the role into her own, instead of continuing Beanie's interpretation as most replacements do. Looking forward to reading the reviews from critics and on here next week. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1512Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 12:29pm

Phillyguy said: "Bette's Turban said: "Phillyguy said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

"

Or Eve Harrington.
"

"

So do the people comparing Julie to Eve.

Azúcar!
#1513Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 12:57pm

joevitus said: "Phillyguy said: "Bette's Turban said: "Phillyguy said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

"

Or Eve Harrington.
"

"

So do the people comparing Julie to Eve."

I have.  Many times.  I can see why it is being brought up.  Another one to watch in reference to some of the obsessed posters on this thread is a movie called "The Fan" starring Lauren Bacall.  It will give you pause when interacting with folks like joevitus etc...   The obsession with something they have not even seen is very creepy.  As is their eagerness to get into conflict with others over nothing on a daily and hourly basis.  If you notice.. that is all they ever do.  Makes you wonder. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#1514Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 1:30pm

I’ve seen Feldstein and last week, the other gifted triple threat in this production. Aardema. Their performances were not similar in attack - they have different energy with other players and different levels of confidence with the vocals. But the staging and book lock any Fanny into the piece’s Ziegfeld-then-Nick-then-no-Nick trajectory. It’s a big role oddly hemmed in by predictable, suspense free storytelling and that slog of a 2nd act. Michele will no doubt put her stamp on the role. But adjustments to the staging can’t rethink the piece or the pedestrian stock-styled production, and I suspect those seeking a wildly different experience of the stage iteration may be disappointed. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 8/30/22 at 01:30 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1515Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 1:58pm

I believe I saw The Fan at a movie theater right next to the Palace when Bacall was doing Woman Of The Year.  Fun schlocky film of its time.  Pluto or Tubi carries it.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1516Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 2:51pm

Azúcar! said: "joevitus said: "Phillyguy said: "Bette's Turban said: "Phillyguy said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "No comparison intended for Lea in Funny Girl. Just as I wasn't speaking of Julie in Funny Girl. If you read my post, the current Broadway musical wasn't mentioned. I have seen enough live videos of Lea Michele to know she doesn't convey the warmth that I enjoy as a singer. Julie has that 10 times over, especially evidenced in tonight's Birdland concert. Sorry if you thought I was even mentioning Funny Girl. I wasn't. Your misread my post. Not what I wrote."

"

Or Eve Harrington.
"

"

So do the people comparing Julie to Eve."

I have. Many times. I can see why it is being brought up. Another one to watch in reference to some of the obsessed posters on this thread is a movie called "The Fan" starring Lauren Bacall. It will give you pause when interacting with folks like joevitus etc... The obsession with something they have not even seen is very creepy. As is their eagerness to get into conflict with others over nothing on a daily and hourly basis. If you notice.. that is all they ever do. Makes you wonder."

You literally compared someone saying Julie Benko and Eve Harrington are nothing alike to a psychopathic murderer. And you think people like me are the problem around here...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1517Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/30/22 at 3:17pm

While having a competent lady may elevate the production a bit, at the end of the day, it's all just lipstick on a pig. The shortcomings in the direction and design are too great to be overcome even by the greatest of performances as far as I'm concerned.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#1518Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 12:09am

How much validity is there to the rumors of a cast album being recorded in October with Lea and Tovah? I've heard a couple of people on here say that and I'd love for it to be true.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1519Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 9:43am

DAME said: "I believe I saw The Fan at a movie theater right next to the Palace when Bacall was doing Woman Of The Year. Fun schlocky film of its time. Pluto or Tubi carries it."

Yes, my friend. You saw "The Fan" at the (now defunct) Embassy 1 movie theater! 

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6

JSquared2
#1520Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 11:47am

CindersGolightly said: "How much validity is there to the rumors of a cast album being recorded in October with Lea and Tovah? I've heard a couple of people on here say that and I'd love for it to be true."

The only way that's going to happen is if Lea wants to pay for it herself.  There would be zero incentive for the producers to pay for it (although given their poor judgement up to now, who knows??).

Phillyguy
#1521Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 11:54am

JSquared2 said: "CindersGolightly said: "How much validity is there to the rumors of a cast album being recorded in October with Lea and Tovah? I've heard a couple of people on here say that and I'd love for it to be true."

The only way that's going to happen is if Lea wants to pay for it herself. There would be zero incentive for the producers to pay for it (although given their poor judgement up to now, who knows??).
"

There's enough interest in the musical that I suspect a lot of people are listening to the music via streaming. Some people may prefer a new cast recording that's more current than Barbara's version. 

I suspect people like Lea are already listening to the Glee recordings so there's not that much incentive for her to pay for it. 

mememe
#1522Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 12:46pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Just finished watching the Birdland concert with Julie Benko and her husband Jason Yaeger.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe it . If folks would hear her sing -- I think all this nonsense about "Eve Harrington" would just go away. Julie is simply a marvelously talented singer and actress --- and judging from her onstage persona --- a warm caring person. Her rapport with the audience was great. The warmth is what I miss completely in Lea Michele. But that is just my opinion. How many of those calling out "Eve Harrington" have even heard Julie perform? She is (in my opinion) probably without equal in the world of female vocalists today. And her husband is a brilliant pianist. I expect more great things from them. Interestingly Julie sang "Second Hand Rose" tonight and it was a charmer!

And this article in Today pretty much conveys her persona.https://www.today.com/popculture/popculture/julie-benko-funny-girl-understudy-rcna44857
"

The girl has a nice voice and all but she’s giving a serviceable cover level performance in Funny Girl. Perhaps when she is able to create a role from scratch, she will shine but there is nothing unique and special happening other than she can sing the notes, unlike Feldstein. That Bryant Park performance is like a high schooler with a good voice 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1523Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 1:08pm

The role is rooted in Barbara. Doesn't seem like anyone will be happy. If they swing so far away from Barbara (like they did with Beanie) people aren't into it. So they swung back to a more conservative, safe approach, and people still aren't impressed.  Can't win. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1524Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 1:24pm

I saw the show with Julie this past Sunday, and I was extremely impressed. She was even better than I expected, and I thought she very easily and successfully stepped out of Barbra's shadow. Ramin's standby, Jeremiah James, was also on, and the two of them together made me not even mind the second act, because I believed their relationship and characterizations. It was a huge step up from the show with Beanie, and I left the theatre pretty elated by how much better it was. Now, if only they could come up with a brand-new set...

Videos