pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 9

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

Clyde15
#200ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:23am

blaxx said: "Also appearing in the cast as Storytellers?

They are adding a chorus to this?  Why?  The whole point is to have the small cast perform all the characters. 

"

I did the show a while ago so I could be wrong but I believe the script contained 5 different storytellers who served as the ensemble members. Now of course the number of storytellers is usually expanded for community theatre to increase the opportunity for people, so it doesn't seem like a super random decision made for the Broadway revival only. The music is beautiful so anything to make it sound fuller will be incredible I'm sure. I don't think I've ever seen a production of this show without a cast of at least 25 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#201ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:45am

Clyde15 said: "blaxx said: "Also appearing in the cast as Storytellers?

They are adding a chorus to this?  Why?  The whole point is to have the small cast perform all the characters. 

"

I did the show a while ago so I could be wrong but I believe the script contained 5 different storytellers who served as the ensemble members. Now of course the number of storytellers is usually expanded for community theatre to increase the opportunity for people, so it doesn't seem like a super random decision made for the Broadway revival only. The music is beautiful so anything to make it sound fuller will be incredible I'm sure. I don't think I've ever seen a production of this show without a cast of at least 25 

The musical was written for 11 performers only.

It's very different when it comes to schools or community theaters and they have to include a larger number of participants. Broadway doesn't have to do that. I always cringe when I see shows like this one or Nunsense, Fantastiks, Forever Plaid, Spelling Bee, etc with a cast of dozens on stage, forced into the show just to not be left out. 

While it may sound nice, there is no point to crowd the small stage for a musical that doesn't need it. I may be wrong but I don't get why make costs go up for a show that has been proven to work with the small cast. 

I guess we'll see but with how expensive it is to run a Broadway show, I'm left scratching my head as to why they picked the small space just to add more people. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Emmaloucbway
#202ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 5:37am

GeorgeandDot said: "I would kill to hear Heather Headley sing "Part of the Human Heart."

"

Me too!! 
And didn't she tease a possible Broadway return right when her run in Color Purple ended? 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#203ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 6:53am

CIRCLE (and the show) can handle a few more Actors. and voices.

Less orchestra, more singers.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#204ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 8:37am

Arden does inventive staging. I wouldn't be surprised to see performers not be on the physical stage. Circle is a great venue to make a The Great Comet-esque immersive experience with storytellers moving around.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#205ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 8:42am

Looks like Quentin Earl Darrington didn't move with this production. I believe he did the workshop a few months ago.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

JSquared2
#206ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:07pm

GeorgeandDot said: "^I don't think this is very true.  Didn't he produce The Bridges of Madison County and The Visit?  Both had Broadway stars in them.  Spring Awakening didn't, but I don't think that's a typical thing for him."

He was an investor in those shows --- not a producer --- he had no say in the creative elements.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#208ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:19am

Lea Salonga!!!

curel1
#209ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:20am

Love this!

ahhrealmonsters
#210ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:21am

And Merle Dandridge. She hasn't been on Broadway since Spamalot, I think. What a voice!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#211ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:22am

Salonga is the perfect Erzulie!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#212ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:22am

I'd been going back and forth on whether I want to see this, and well, Lea Salonga just moved me over. Tickets purchased!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#213ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:24am

Wow. Was not expecting Lea Salonga, or Merle Dandridge for that matter. Two fabulous, big voices with them.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#214ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:30am

Who's going to replace Quentin in Cats?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#215ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:52am

Am I the only one who is cringing at the male Asaka and female Papa Ge? I'll obviously withhold judgment until I see the performances (and will happily eat my words if I'm wrong), but it just feels like a "gender fluidity is a hot topic right now" gimmick.

Or maybe I'm just feeling extra protective of my favorite show. 

VintageSnarker
#216ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:53am

What? I don't know how to process this casting. It doesn't really make sense to me... but I NEED to see it. Damn you, Ken Davenport. Fine, take my money.

TrChSpHa
barcelona20
#218ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:59am

JudyDenmark said: "Am I the only one who is cringing at the male Asaka and female Papa Ge? I'll obviously withhold judgment until I see the performances (and will happily eat my words if I'm wrong), but it just feels like a "gender fluidity is a hot topic right now" gimmick.

Or maybe I'm just feeling extra protective of my favorite show. 

Ken Davenport trying to use a gimmick to get attention!? Never......

"

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#219ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:03pm

Newell will be great. The characters are Gods, there's no reason they can't be cast in a gender fluid way, even with the "Mama" and "Papa" titles.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

funhamilton_rent
#220ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:05pm

I know they're trying to cast an unknown, but I feel like Cynthia Erivo would slay as Ti Moune. Might feel too obvious, but I can't find one reason why it wouldn't work.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#221ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:05pm

It does seem very gimmicky. And I had no interest in this show but I'll see Salonga in anything so darn it.

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#222ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:12pm

Arden is trolling.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#223ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:15pm

I am not ready for November 9 heart

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning