Follies Cast Album is a Go!

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#1Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/20/11 at 11:44pm

Per Terri White's twitter page, Follies is getting a cast album!

Let the celebrations (and I'm sure some grumbling about inevitable cuts or casting quibbles) begin!
Terri White's Tweet

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/20/11 at 11:46pm

YES!!!!!!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/20/11 at 11:49pm

I wonder what label it'll be on. I'm guessing PS Classics, since they're the go-to for Sondheim recordings.

If that is the case, and Goldman's widow allowing, we'll undoubtedly get a very complete recording with dialogue.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/20/11 at 11:58pm

Would LOVE a recording with the Prologue/Overture dialogue!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:03am

WOW!

Danny Burstein
Got word today that we'll be doing a cast recording.
PS Classics is producing.
And they're doing it right. Two CD set. The entire score.
This production has such class.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:03am

According to Danny Burstein's facebook status, it will be 2 discs with the entire score preserved.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:05am

As I was watching the show I was praying for this!

Just give the world Love.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#7Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:17am

BURSTING WITH JOY.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#8Follies Cast Album is a Go!

Bravo!
Peter's performance alone deserves this.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9Follies Cast Album is a Go!

YAY! This makes me soooo happy!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bwayfan7000
#10Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:18am

I'm positively beaming with excitement at the mere thought of hearing the overture on the cd with that orchestra...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:20am

Yay! Finally, the Papermill recording won't be my only go to option for a complete recording. Follies Cast Album is a Go!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#12Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:17am

I second that, CATS.

I figured PS Classics would snatch it up, but it's great to have official word on it. So excited! This is 1 of Krasker's dream shows to record, so I imagine it will be spectacular!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#13Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:28am

I was also told today by a cast member that there will be a recording

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#14Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:32am

Any chance a cut song or two will be a bonus track?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:36am

Any chance a cut song or two will be a bonus track?

I doubt it, as the Papermill recording documented/recorded many cut songs.

I just really hope Mrs. Goldman lets them use dialogue!!!

Of course, a few certain members on ATC are pissing all over this news. It never fails to amaze me how angry/bitter/grumpy some of those men are.
Updated On: 8/21/11 at 01:36 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 2:22am

Indeed. I mean I do love the loveland-less OBC but how can this possibly be a bad thing?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#17Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 4:03am

DIALOGUE PLEASE!!!!!!!!! So future generations will understand what the show is about.....

when I was a teen first addicted to Sondheim.... I had no idea what the fudge Follies was about... I read up on it, synopsis, reviews, recordings.... and was still pretty clueless.... DIALOGUE PLEASE!!!!

LOVE, the Night Music recording with Dialogue it makes everything so clear....

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#18Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 4:49am

I am overjoyed to read this! This weekend is turning out to be nothing but GOOD for me!

I love when that happens.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#19Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 7:24am

I honestly, could care less about the dialogue -- I'm just thrilled that it's going to be a 2cd recording!

Guesses on when it can be released assuming they go into the recording studio before this month is over? I'm guessing October at the earliest? Thoughts?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#20Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:02am

Aren't there enough already?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:15am

No

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#22Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:18am

There are three recordings.

There are no fewer than 7 recordings of Gypsy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#23Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:27am

Follies has four recordings:

Original Broadway Cast
Original London Cast
Philharmonic Concert
Papermill Playhouse Cast (Complete Recording)

There was also an album of the jazz trio The Trotter Trio entitled "Follies... in Jazz", part of Bruce Kimmel's Sondheim in Jazz series.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24Follies Cast Album is a Go!
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:58pm

Count this angry/bitter/grumpy man (who rarely reads ATC let alone posts there) as delighted.

Someone put together an extended Overture/Prologue sequence on YouTube. Let's hope this recording keeps that entire sequence intact, as well as all of Loveland.

Videos