pixeltracker

Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I at LCT- Page 2

Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I at LCT

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#25Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 8:51am

"It looks like a horror movie... Clueless young woman walking into the dark while evil creatures await her"

How appropriate. Isn't that why she whistles a happy tune?

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#26Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 9:16am

Should appeal to the Star Wars and horror film sect too. Can see a video game with Anna in a maze of incarnate statues with her plantation fan converting to a boomerang of death. Reinforces the vintage-ness of play (is it a musical?) that they may or may not be seeing. If it were anymore faded you might think it was a draft design from the original novel. Wait having my coffee - oh - now I see - very pretty. More Lincoln Center guaranteed audience navel gazing. Need another coffee.

Up In One

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 9:50am

I like it. I actually think she should be a little smaller. One can easily feel dwarfed by the size and scale of Thai architecture and statuary.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 10:01am

I don't hate it, but it is very odd and menacing. The 96 revival art is my favorite.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#29Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 10:02am

The Wiz?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#30Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/26/14 at 6:20pm

It really does seem like a nightmare ballet insert.

Wilmingtom
#31Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/27/14 at 2:05pm

The 96 revival art made more sense when you saw the scenic design which incorporated enormous elephants.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/27/14 at 3:20pm

I love it.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#33Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:26pm

i love it...i am coming to NYC to see this revival in the Spring of 2015...i want to be there in the week before the TONY AWARDS are handed out...that to me is a great week to see shows...CAN'T WAIT!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/9/14 at 5:36pm

Does it need that big of a cast? It's not like there are these big rousing choral numbers.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#36Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/9/14 at 5:37pm

It will need a lot of kids which I assume will be included in that 50

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/9/14 at 8:16pm

Cool. I have to say I'm not really super excited about The King and I, but with O'hara, Sher, and that big, gorgeous stage, I'm excited to see what happens.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#38Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/10/14 at 8:17pm

Exquisite. The image of Anna dwarfed by the culture she doesn't (yet) understand has far more emotional suspense, the stakes present. The show isn't really the feel-good experience people remember it to be. It involves slavery, misogyny, xenophobia, (untimely) death. And ignorance and arrogance from both East and West. This is quite a break from the iconic imagery we know. Yet elegant and spare. My favorite of his since Carousel, perhaps.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/10/14 at 08:17 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#39Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/10/14 at 10:10pm

The cast of 50 will most likely be 20-26 kids who'll split the 8 performances. That's half the cast right there.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#40Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/10/14 at 10:30pm

There will be about 14 kids in the cast, the other 40 or so will be adults. That's on par with the prior Broadway productions. It's always been a big show.

david_fick Profile Photo
david_fick
#41Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:38pm

EricMontreal22 wrote: Are the statues about to fall and topple over her?

No, Eric. You know this play is about how Anna topples the statues using colonialist entitlement to give her the strength of Samson's hair. Look at her face and body attitude. She's plotting...

Musical Cyberspace | a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#42Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/15/14 at 3:28pm

Did anyone else happen to notice that they closed the top of the g in the word "King"?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#43Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/15/14 at 4:45pm

Maybe they saw this thread.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#44Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/15/14 at 5:51pm

I think its nice, not amazing, but really nice. I however am SOOOO excited for this show!!! Kelli O'hara - Best Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical 2015 anybody?!

My hopes are still pinned on Sydney Lucas.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/15/14 at 5:58pm

"The show isn't really the feel-good experience people remember it to be."

I just saw the show last night (they have revived the 1996 Broadway production in Australia, where it started) - and I agree. I suppose it's because there are a lot of happy takeaways (e.g., "Getting to Know You") but the show can get quite dark. I think this new artwork reflects more of the themes in the show than the 1996 artwork.

I can't wait to see what Kelli does with this role.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#46Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:20am

I hope that Bartlett Sher exceeds our expectations of this production and gives us one of the greatest theaterical moments in our memories.

When I watched Sher's production of SOUTH PACIFIC on PBS it was one of the most beautiful things I have witnessed that it was equal to that of PalJoey's love for the 1971 production of FOLLIES to me. An expirence I won't forget.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#47Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/16/14 at 12:15pm

"Did anyone else happen to notice that they closed the top of the g in the word "King"?"

I was hoping they were going to add a "k" - The Kinky And I - was picturing Billy Porter doing spit takes between the etceteras

Up In One

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT
Posted: 10/19/14 at 12:40pm

I scored a LincTix to the first preview. I am so excited. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed with tech issues.