pixeltracker

Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves- Page 3

Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#50Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:28pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "It was noted above that they may make 'April' 'Andy' and male.  But it will still work.  Though the joke of 'June' 'April' will be lost.  

"

that was what I was thinking, Bobby can't remember her name but knows it's a month

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#51Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:47pm

They could go with August if they want to keep the joke. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#52Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:34pm

^^

Bobby:  You're just a very special boy.... Amos.

Andy:  Andy.

Bobby:  Andy. 

Andy:  Thank you.

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 03:34 PM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#53Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 4:19pm

^^^ Now That was funny!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#54Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 4:33pm

Agreed!  That was fantastic, henrick!

Jarethan
#55Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 5:19pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "I've been saying it since age 15 and I'll share it here too. I don't care if you are Larry Kert, if you portray Bobby as gay you lose the whole point of the piece. It essentially turns into a coming out story, when in reality the moral is SO much more deep and complicated than that.

I don't think "deep' and 'complicated' are the right words...I would say 'universal'.  Coming to terms with his gayness in 1971 or 2 (whenever it opened) would be very deep and complicated, but narrowed to a specific 'population' in focus.  If you assume that it is about a person who doesn't know how to commit himself to a partner OF ANY SEXUAL PERSUASION, that is more universal.

If Larry Kert portrayed Bobby as gay, I really didn't see it; but, I aways thought he was a better singer than actor, so I might have missed it.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#56Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 7:34pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "I've been saying it since age 15 and I'll share it here too. I don't care if you are Larry Kert, if you portray Bobby as gay you lose the whole point of the piece. It essentially turns into a coming out story, when in reality the moral is SO much more deep and complicated than that.

"

Years before I worked with him and heard his approach to the role, I saw Larry Kept in COMPANY. He didn't mince through the evening. And it's not like he was playing in Peoria, where Prince, Furth and Sondheim wouldn't see what he was doing.

In his account to me and others, he was describing the subtext he brought to the part. What an actor uses for subtext doesn't necessarily read literally to the audience, even though it may make his/her performance seem richer and more cohesive.

As I said above, I agree with you that the "coming out story" oversimplifies what is a complex view of relationships, gay or straight.

Speaking of which, one of the things I liked about Neil Patrick Harris in the part was that he was, in my experience, the first Bobby who would actually bring soup to sick friends or be trusted to babysit their kids. Often times, Bobby is played so intensely, one doesn't really believe all the couples actually LIKE him.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#57Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 7/21/17 at 9:59pm

I saw Jim Stanek as Bobby, and he played the role without irony or condescension or dark sarcasm. It became a portrait of a guy who really does have it all, and realizes he wants something more.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#59Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:45pm

Patti Ann "War Paint is my last musical" LuPone is doing Joanne in the West End!?!? GOSH. SO exciting!!!!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#60Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:48pm

Those lucky Brits! (and I'm ever so glad that Patti wasn't sticking to that promise!)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:51pm

I wonder if the show would work even better with a female lead. I'd definitely be curious. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#62Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:54pm

Oh my.

Crappy day at work and this totally made it. Rosalie Craig is the icing on the cake.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#63Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/21/17 at 7:01pm

CindersGolightly said: "Patti Ann "War Paint is my last musical" LuPone is doing Joanne in the West End!?!? GOSH. SO exciting!!!!"

hooray!!!!! Looking forward to a London trip sometime fall 2018!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#65Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/22/17 at 5:36pm

I was feeling rather nonplussed towards this production but I'm a whole lot more interested (and have deja vu) now.  

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#66Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 6/28/18 at 6:14pm

You Could Drive A Person Crazy: @RFleeshman @gblagden & @MatSeadonYoung play , respectively, Andy, PJ & Theo who are @Rosiemae ‘s boyfriends (gender swap from April , Marta & Kathy) in @_elliottharper production @CompanyWestEnd

https://twitter.com/bazbam/status/1012454419512856576?s=21

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#67Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 6/28/18 at 6:17pm

These 3 have the exact same nose and similar eyes. Bobby has a type - who knew!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#68Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 6/28/18 at 9:25pm

They're gender-swapping the girlfriends too? What cowards! Too afraid to have a lesbian Bobbi? Or is this Sondheim's doing? 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#70Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/12/18 at 4:52pm

Not sure why this was bumped, but I will use it as an opportunity to address JBroadway's comment. I don't think the creatives are afraid of having a lesbian Bobbi, I simply think that this is an extension of Sondheim's original idea that Bobby or Bobbi's lack of commitment is not to be construed as indecision about his/her sexuality.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#71Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/12/18 at 5:07pm

QueenAlice said: "Not sure why this was bumped, but I will use it as an opportunity to address JBroadway's comment. I don't think the creatives are afraid of having a lesbian Bobbi, I simply think that this is an extension of Sondheim's original idea that Bobby or Bobbi's lack of commitment is not to be construed as indecision about his/her sexuality. "

This comment is really most of my conversations with my musical theater friends about Company. Calling Bobby gay is just about the laziest trope/explanation for that character. The creator of the show said he's not gay. Why must we tell that to ourselves to make the story more palatable to us? In the context of a truly re-envisioned show, I would be curious about changes in character sexualities etc., but Company as written, does not have a gay lead character.

I'm perfectly fine with a true gender swap in this West End production. Wouldn't have minded a guy singing Not Getting Married Today (is that happening?)

Updated On: 9/12/18 at 05:07 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#72Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/12/18 at 5:20pm

Yes, Amy is now Andy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#73Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/12/18 at 5:26pm

This production sounds so fun!!

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#74Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves
Posted: 9/12/18 at 6:01pm

Kad said: "Yes, Amy is now Andy."

No, Amy is Jamie. April is Andy. 

I really wish I could be fiscally irresponsible and go to London for this! I'm hoping for a filmed version, though.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad