What draws you to see a show?

kjck89 Profile Photo
kjck89
#1What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:04pm

I'm definitely happiest when I'm sitting in a theatre watching a play or musical. However, it is a pretty pricey hobby and with so many shows to choose from, I was curious how everyone here chooses what shows to see? Do you see a show typically based the actual work (you've read it before etc.), word of mouth/recommendation, reviews, tony noms, the ticket price?

I think the biggest draw for me is my familiarity with the actors, and I'm not necessarily referring to big names but recently as I was answering another post about how many playbills i owned, looking through I noticed I mostly watch shows that have at least one actor that I had seen before in another show and I admire their work/performance. Then most likely I'll be impressed with another actor as well, make a mental note of it, and see a show of theirs in the future.

Willie4316
#2What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:16pm

First I see if it has any known names in the cast, then see if I like the music. Then I see reviews and how much demand there is for the show. 

broadwayguy91
#3What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:22pm

1. plot / genre 

2. do I like how the music sounds (if there is a cast album / demo that I can listen to first obviously)

3. cast, but I wouldn't purposely not see a show if a star isn't in it, because I'd like to believe that these performers are all talented enough to get where they are, especially if its a large scale tour / Broadway / West End production.

(Some could argue that equity > non-equity, but I believe that's mostly in the aesthetics (set design/ llighting etc.), there are many talented people who are non-eq)

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#4What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 8:32am

Since I travel to NYC about twice a year, I don't have time to take chances on shows.  Sadly, I rely on reviews.  After that in no particular order, I look at plot, music, actors and etc.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.

barbraboy19902
#5What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 8:44am

Whoever is starring. If I like who is in it, THEN I will learn more about what the show is.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#6What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:07am

Typically the cast or the playwright/composer. Occasionally it's the plot or word of mouth.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:13am

Story/Plot is my first draw.

Second is the creative team.

Third, MIGHT be casting....but not a heavily weighted thing (unless I have incredibly STRONG feelings one way or another).

Word of mouth can influence me a great deal, either for OR against.

That being said, I usually see about 80% of what opens on bway each year.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#8What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:14am

Just a question for those who base it heavily on casting- what if there are some unknowns among the principal cast? Would a show like that be on your radar?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:21am

This is really something that varies show to show for me. There have been times when I saw a particular show solely because I wanted to see someone in the cast. There have been times when I went to a show because I wanted to see a production--any production--of that particular work. I will sometimes go in blind to a show because I like/trust the company who is producing it. Sometimes there will be a show that wasn't even on my radar that I'll go see if a person I trust tells me it's worth my time. More often than not, it's a combination of factors: the cast, the creative team, the plot, etc. 

I read reviews regularly, but I never based my decision to see or not see something on what a particular critic has to say. The only time reading a review influences my decision to see a show is if a review brings something to my attention that I hadn't even heard of.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

superyan
#10What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:22am

For me it's a combination of play vs. musical (prefer plays), plot, cast, and price.

For example, I have very little desire to see Wicked, but I was offered $40 orchestra seats for later this month and that made it worth it for me.

PerfidiousRaoul
#11What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 10:42am

For me its the music (I live in Australia so cast recordings are my only way to experience NY theatre), followed by the cast (eg saw Othello due to the leads), and lastly the word of mouth (eg Dear Evan Hansen).

wonkit
#12What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 10:50am

Usually the material. If the play or musical is something I already love or want to see for the first time, that drives me to buy a ticket. It may be based on the writer, as I love Stoppard and most Pinter and all Sondheim, so that is an automatic buy.

I will occasionally go for a particular performer but I have found that to be a little disappointing if the material is something I really don't enjoy. Prime example of that was Angela Lansbury in BLITHE SPIRIT: I went to see her but the play itself is so odd, so dated and unappealing that her presence couldn't cure it. I am having the same issue with Kevin Kline in PRESENT LAUGHTER: love the actor, hate the play. But I may go anyway, budget permitting.

I rarely let word of mouth sell me anything. I find that I need to judge something for myself, and I am often the outlier when it comes to what I like. I loved ENCOUNTER, for example, and I know I am in the minority on that one!

SarahNYC2
#13What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:32am

Interesting question. For me it varies:

I started going to Broadway shows with my mom and grandma at age 4-so some shows I saw with them-I will go back to such as:

South Pacific

Anything Goes

Fiddler on the Roof

Les Miz

Phantom

With newer shows an actor could draw me in-I am a big fan of Christian Borle-I will see whatever he is in!

Story plus at least pretty good reviews also can get me to see a show.

Music-Dear Evan Hansen I was first introduced to on Broadway Sirius-Waving Through A Window blew me away and then the plot was intriguing and then the rave reviews.

This past visit to NYC I was kind of iffy on The Humans-I let fate decide. I won tickets in the lottery and figured I couldn't pass up a 40 dollar ticket!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:34am

Familiarity with a cast helps, but usually doesn't make or break it for me, unless it's a repeat viewing of something I already liked, even mildly.

If the material sounds interesting -- and I mean that in either a train-wreck or an earnest way -- then that's a major draw.

And especially if I can get it for $5 on Show-Score, that's a draw!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

hanabana
#15What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:59am

This really varies depending on the show.  But I find that the cast and music are the biggest factors for me.  If I really want to see a particular performer in a show, I will sometimes go see the show despite not knowing what it is about at all (like Sunday in The Park With George for Jake Gyllenhaal - surprisingly, I had no clue what this musical was about at all).  For plays, I think the cast matters a bit more to me than for musicals.  Most of the time, for musicals, I decide based on the music.  I try not to listen to the entire cast recording before seeing a show though, so I usually go on youtube to see some clips or highlights, and then decide (I did that for Bridges of Madison County, and I am so glad I did because it was gorgeous!).  The performance is a big draw for me as well, if I see a clip of what seems like a great performance, even if it is a performer that I am not familiar with, I will start looking into the performer's past shows and the show itself.

canadian fan
#16What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 12:17pm

Different angle for me. We live on the West coast of Canada, and make frequent trips to Seattle for theater. We also have also visited NY 4 times in the past 10 years (and again this spring) So maybe 2 different answers. For Seattle theater, we will typically go based on the type of show it is. Not familiar enough with the performers to base a decision on that. So its more just the show and if we think we will enjoy it. For NY and Broadway....its definitely based on buzz, word of mouth, and most important whats NEW. Will never go see an older show on Broadway IE phantom, Lion King etc. Will seek out the new shows with original cast, as seeing a new show on Broadway with the original cast is something special. We have had the luck to see Book of Mormon & Jersey Boys with the original cast and now we look back and say remember when:)  

hork Profile Photo
hork
#17What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 2:48pm

I generally base what I see on the Tonys. I like seeing all the nominees for Best Musical, especially the winners. I don't see plays nearly as often, but when I do, I also usually just see whatever won the Tony. I don't care about cast and there are no composers or lyricists or critics I'll blindly follow, so the Tonys are pretty much my only indicator of whether something might be worth seeing (well, maybe not the only, but it's the one I've arbitrarily chosen). And since I only see about 17-20 shows a year, and I still haven't seen the vast majority of Tony nominees, there's always something for me to see, between new Broadway shows and regional revivals.

Updated On: 1/10/17 at 02:48 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 3:08pm

A lot of people here seem to be answering on the basis of "What draws me to see a show on Broadway." What about locally, whether it's a tour or otherwise? (My answer doesn't change.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

VintageSnarker
#19What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 4:27pm

I would say that I'm drawn to shows that I think I'll enjoy. That is, I need some kind of a guarantee whether it's an actor with a fantastic voice or who I like or whose work is usually critically praised (if I've never gotten the chance to see them live before). Sometimes it's the composer or someone else on the creative team. I don't like to know too much but if I'm having trouble making a call I like to watch little bits of the promotional materials to get a sense of what the show will look like. If I'm having a really tough time deciding I'll check out the boards and now Show Score. I try and hold off on the critic reviews as long as can if I have genuine interest in seeing a show for myself.

I'll add that a female protagonist and racial diversity earns a lot of points with me. It's not a guarantee that the show will be great but it ups the likelihood that it won't do something to offend or upset me. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#21What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:17pm

I'm probably the only person that is sometimes intrigued to see a show because of the space its being staged in. I saw FULLY COMMITTED mostly because it was at the Lyceum (and the price was right).

Otherwise in terms of Broadway the music is the number one factor. In terms of my local regular theatregoing I try to see as much as I can but when I am picking and choosing I like to see oddball type things that aren't like things I've seen before.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#22What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:20pm

1. If it is an author's first time having a show staged in New York

2. If I like the author's previous work

3. If the show has been personally recommended to me

4. If there is an actor I particularly like in it (Lois Smith, Zoe Kazan, etc.)

"In memory, everything happens to music"

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#23What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:15pm

As far as tours, I have season tickets to the tours that come to town. So I see everything good or bad. I have a hard time sitting at home if there is a show in town. I have to take advantage of it, since I don't live in NYC. Beggars cannot be choosers. 

Interesting experience I had last season. I saw Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder on Broadway. For some particular reason, I didn't care for it. Maybe it was my mood or just exhausted the day I saw it. 

When it came to town on tour, I absolutely loved it!!!! I wish I gave it a second chance on Broadway. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#24What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/11/17 at 12:46pm

For me it's a little different. I'm a senior in college studying set design for the theatre, as well as working two jobs. Since I don't know what my financial situation will be once I graduate I try and see as much as I possibly can. 

For me availability and student pricing is very important. There are some shows that I would love to see, but get lowered on my list because I have to wait and save up for a ticket. 

Also, since I'm studying set design, visuals are really important to me in deciding what to see. A really eye-catching logo, and if I am excited by production stills or promo videos that can help me want to see the show soon. 

After that it's probably word of mouth. I'm open to pretty much anything plot-wise, so I don't look for that. Even if it's something that doesn't interest me a lot I'm still open to seeing it and expandin my horizons. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25What draws you to see a show?
Posted: 1/11/17 at 3:09pm

I am drawn to every Broadway show in some capacity. Mainly because I like to see everything that opens.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "