pixeltracker

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration- Page 3

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#50Jennifer Holliday Is Performing At tRump's Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 4:29pm

It's one thing to voice dissent with the political statement she'd be making by accepting this gig, which I don't fault anyone for. I'm taken aback myself.  But I really think some of the attacks on the state of her career are uncalled for. That's not what this is about, and the perpetuation of our culture's disdainful relationship with fading celebrity just comes across as blindly hateful. 

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#51Jennifer Holliday Is Performing At tRump's Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 4:43pm

Why does this country need to have a flashy, theatrical inauguration? Why are people so dead-set on the importance of whether or not Beyoncé will perform for you if elected president? Is that really what becoming president is about? The 'cool' factor of how many celebrities will come to your event?

The same people that are so concerned over the news of singers and performers signing up to be a part of the inaugural event are silent on issues that matter. God forbid a B-rate Broadway actress/singer performed but hey, who cares about healthcare. 

This is why I wish artists would stay out of the political sphere, both conservative and liberal. Just as everyone on here always says that the artists aren't getting paid to sign autographs at the stage door for us and that's it not their responsibility to do that, they're also not getting paid to lecture an audience on which political candidate is worse than the other. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#52Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 4:47pm

Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed to Trump Inauguration, Despite Announcement From His Team (Exclusive)

“And I Am Telling You (I’m Not Going)” singer may or may not be going to Washington

A spokesman for the “Dreamgirls” veteran says she has been asked to sing, but hasn’t yet agreed.

“Jennifer has been asked to perform but she hasn’t officially agreed to do so yet,” her publicist, Bill Carpenter, told TheWrap. “I’ll let you know later this afternoon for sure if she’ll be performing.”

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#53Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 4:51pm

loveinnewyorkcity said: "Why does this country need to have a flashy, theatrical inauguration? Why are people so dead-set on the importance of whether or not Beyoncé will perform for you if elected president? Is that really what becoming president is about? The 'cool' factor of how many celebrities will come to your event?

The same people that are so concerned over the news of singers and performers signing up to be a part of the inaugural event are silent on issues that matter. God forbid a B-rate Broadway actress/singer performed but hey, who cares about healthcare. 

This is why I wish artists would stay out of the political sphere, both conservative and liberal. Just as everyone on here always says that the artists aren't getting paid to sign autographs at the stage door for us and that's it not their responsibility to do that, they're also not getting paid to lecture an audience on which political candidate is worse than the other. 

"AMEN

When They Go Low, I Go High

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#55Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:16pm

"I'm singing on the mall for the people," she said. "I don't have a dog in this fight—I’m just a singer, and it’s a welcome concert for the people on the mall.” She continued, "[The initial announcement] brought a lot of threats from people already saying I'll never work again. If that's what America has come to, where we all hate and bully people, there's no freedom of speech."

She has a point with the latter part of her statement. However, I very strongly feel that there are times when everyone has to decide for themselves what they believe in, and what they feel is wrong or right. This is one of those times. Saying you view this event just as a concert and that you don't care about the politics is more than just naive. It's irresponsible, imo.

broadwayboy223
#56Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:22pm

I still love her. She won me over as far during the two times I saw her in TCP. The NYT article also said she voted for Clinton. She's such a genuine person I that I believe she's doing this to actually make a point. Do I still hate the orange clown? Yes of course. I refuse to hate her though and damn her career just because of this. I believe in her.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#57Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:27pm

I cannot condone any action that can be exploited by Trump to suggest he is being endorsed.

His bigotry has excluded him from being treated like a reasonable person.

A Director
#58Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:32pm

The performers who will appear for Herr Trump are has beens.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#59Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:33pm

EvanK said: "remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks when they spoke out against Bush. America has a tendency to turn on people because their views don't match."

The Dixie Chicks went on to win the Grammy for Album of the Year so I think they're okay (plus they were correct to be ashamed of Bush).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#60Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:34pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I still love her. She won me over as far during the two times I saw her in TCP. The NYT article also said she voted for Clinton. She's such a genuine person I that I believe she's doing this to actually make a point. Do I still hate the orange clown? Yes of course. I refuse to hate her though and damn her career just because of this. I believe in her"

I'm just going to say I know she's an adult, and I honor her choice to do what she wants with her life, but I myself am disappointed as a fan, and as a person who supports the rights of minorities. Unless she plans to get up on stage, start out by yelling "I voted for Hillary", start into "What about love?" (And include the lesbian kiss), and end with a rousing trio rendition of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" with the Obamas.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#61Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:41pm

She's lending her support to an administration that believes in  electrocuting gay people to cure them. There's nothing else that needs to be said. Her gay fans (the ones who pay her Con Ed bill), as far as I can see online - are done with her. So, so long Jennifer. Hope it was worth it. 

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 05:41 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#62Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 5:50pm

"I am sincerely curious as to why you voted for him."

Well, I did have one friend who was pro Trump. We had some arguments about him, and I had to stop being friends with her but it sounded to me like the two major points that she was voting for were 1. the wall and 2. Lower taxes.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

binau Profile Photo
binau
#63Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 6:03pm

In the NYTimes Holliday was clear that she voted for Clinton. I would certainly cringe if any performer I was a fan of performed at this inauguration, but I see this as a far different situation than if a performer actually held crazy views (see: Christine Ebersole). This is a desperate career move on Holliday's part - I'm personally not sending her to gas chamber for that. 

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be if a performer sang something that was subtlety protesting the Trump campaign.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#64Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 6:30pm

Unfortunately, subtlety us largely lost on Trump supporters...

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#65Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 6:55pm

Maybe she'll sing 'I'm not going'---and Not ! or better still-get to that part--and walk off.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#66Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 7:08pm

gypsy101 said: "EvanK said: "remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks when they spoke out against Bush. America has a tendency to turn on people because their views don't match."

The Dixie Chicks went on to win the Grammy for Album of the Year so I think they're okay (plus they were correct to be ashamed of Bush).

Of course they were, I agree. They had every right to call out Bush, and in my opinion they were right to. But their career really took a hit in the US. Watch the documentary. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#67Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 7:25pm

When people performed for President Obama at the 2009 and 2013 Inaugurations, many of them shared some/many of the same beliefs as he.  They were eager to share in a president who held such promise and hope.  Perhaps some of them, latched on to the presidential bandwagon for expediency and gain.  Shocker.  Here, we face a leader who is woefully underprepared on so many levels...who mocks a disabled reporter in front of many people, a person who thinks and reacts as a 5 year old might, a candidate who think the press is there to serve him, who thinks that it's proper to govern by Twitter, who holds women to such low regard, who has been sued many times for nonpayment of services rendered, who thinks he knows more than American generals, who scoffs at the intelligence reports regarding any Russian interference in the presidential elections, who has a shockingly admirous view of our sworn political enemy Putin, who thinks he's above the law...who has not released his tax returns...the list is endless.  Like it or not, performers admire the next president in some form or another.  Again, some of them might be performing for the fame and fortune that they might derive.  As those artists willingly chose to perform at the ceremony of such an inept and offensive leader, then we also have the same choice to patronize (or not) those artists taking part in the ceremony.  It's all about making choices.  We are in for a unprecedented time in our history.  That is my opinion.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

DrMike
#68Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 7:33pm

Why do I think there are only a few hardcore folks out there who kept that picture of them shaking hands with Nixon.  If selfies had been around, I bet a lot of folks would have erased those selfies they took with Hitler.  

I do not question the right of a person (even a performer) to associate themselves with a political candidate, but by doing so in such a public way history will remember what side they stood on.  It will not be as easy to hide that photo or erase that selfie.

perfectliar
#69Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 7:46pm

_IrisTInkerbell said: ""I'm singing on the mall for the people," she said. "I don't have a dog in this fight—I’m just a singer, and it’s a welcome concert for the people on the mall.” She continued, "[The initial announcement] brought a lot of threats from people already saying I'll never work again. If that's what America has come to, where we all hate and bully people, there's no freedom of speech."

She has a point with the latter part of her statement.
"

No, she doesn't. Not supporting someone you disagree with is pretty much why freedom of speech exists in the first place.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#70Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 8:05pm

She has every right to perform at the inauguration. Just like I have every right to think that choice is wrong and disgusting. I also have the right to not support her again. If she is in a show, I won't see it. If she is on the radio, I will turn channels, if she does a benefit concert, I won't donate.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#71Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 8:11pm

Good for her that she's above it. Like she says, she's just a singer. It's a job. Personally she voted for Clinton. She has character.

Imagine that all professional situations would be led by personal issues and bullying. Oh, we don't like the president so let's incite people to conspire and bully him,  not work around him anymore, people in restaurants to not bring him food anymore, hairdressers to never cut his hair anymore and performers to never appear around him anymore. What is this? Primary school?

Get over yourself. It's a job. Every broadway performer could go home right now if he/she does not want to perform for people with different views. Audiences are full of them.

Imagine what kind of pathetic, touchy, childish, judgmental world it would be if we would all do that. What kind of example do we want to give? Judging Jennifer for this is just as bad as what Trump does.

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 08:11 PM

mpkie
#72Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 8:18pm

perfectliar said: "No, she doesn't. Not supporting someone you disagree with is pretty much why freedom of speech exists in the first place."

Actually, unless you know everything that is being said to her, she does have a point. No person should make claims at someone else that their career is over. Anyone would perceive that as a threat and lobbing threats = bullying. You might politely warn them how they are alienating their fan base and enlighten them to the reasons why, and why in your personal view, you disagree with their choice and as a result, here are the actions you will personally take (e.g. no longer support them, inform your friends so your friends also no longer support them, write to companies that have carry their products/employ them/have business dealings to voice your concerns, etc.). There entirely are grown up ways to engage and completely childish and bullying ways as well.

P.S. I have no idea what is being said to her.

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 08:18 PM

tomwsjr
#73Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 8:23pm

Hello No, And I'm Telling You - I'll never support Jennifer Holliday again!!!!!  She has every right to perform at Herr Trump's inauguration, but as an African American artist who's fan base is prodoninatley gay and African American, she's sending a bad message.  Trump's words and actions are not normal and his presidency shouldn't be normalized.  Will future presidential candidates behave like this knowing it will increase their chances of being president?  Never Jennifer Holiday!!!!!!!!!!  

Olivia11
#74Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 8:36pm

Straight, white woman here entitled to my opinion and I will not support Miss Holliday's decision in any way (or any other performer making this choice).

This is not just politics this time. There is too much at stake and I will use every tool I have, including my wallet that frequently purchases non-discounted premium theater tickets, to oppose Mr Trump at every turn. 

That at is my right and I intend to exercise it. 

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 08:36 PM