pixeltracker

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration- Page 4

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#75Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:09pm

^ Why the hell does anybody care if you're straight, white, and/or female?

Why can't Ms. Holliday perform for simple love of country? Why are you all policing this woman's personal decision?

This is an embarrassing moment for so many of you. 

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 09:09 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#76Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:13pm

Holliday is, of course, free to do whatever she wants, but as the public we're just a free to disagree with her choice and therefore not offer support to her career.

Personally, I think at a certain point this goes beyond political differences. For myself and many others, Trump and his band of merry monsters don't just represent differing views. They've legitimized bigotry, xenophobia, and sexism. The GOP is working right now to take healthcare away from tens of millions of people, myself included, and people will die because of what they're doing. And Trump is a dangerous narcissist who could seriously endanger the country and the rest of the world. Holliday may consider this a "concert for the people" (and it it's worth noting as always that more of the voters did not want him to win by a large margin), but she is performing for him and helping to further legitimize him. He isn't a normal President, and it's disappointing to say the least that she doesn't realize what a tremendous slap in the face this is to a great deal of her fans. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#77Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:16pm

MELANATED *BLACK* TRANSEXUAL HERE

Since we are posting race on our posts.

You ppl are robots. Everything that is America is shown in this thread as previous posters stated. You guys don't even see the tricks on being played on your eyes, You are filled with so much hate an artist singing a song, You all say F*CK her religion/beliefs, and maybe she would be singing a gospel song. You don't have to support your new president but you were going to be watching whether Ms. Holliday was on or not. That's the silly sick twisted reality of it. Your heads were ****ed with and you want to be offended by every little thing. Didn't some of you read Phylicia Rashad for standing by her friend .You don't know what secrets these ppl we idol have but they gave you Joy/Happiness EMOTION and that can not be taken away. Why are you mad at her and not your neighbours?

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 09:16 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#78Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:24pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ Why the hell does anybody care if you're straight, white, and/or female?

I think it is brave when someone comes out from behind their avatar and states who they are-gives them identity.

What the hell is a broadwayvalet anyway?

Written by a 71yo white Australian trisexual.

"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#79Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:38pm

Well, I thought she was a complete embarrassment in The Color Purple... Guess she is keeping up the trend.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Olivia11
#80Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 9:40pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ Why the hell does anybody care if you're straight, white, and/or female?

I stated it for those implying that this is solely a gay theater community reaction.  There is a very large population in this country who aren't a member of the specific groups affected by Mr Trump's political position, but are just as offended by his hateful rhetoric and platform. While the theater community may be relatively small, we don't just belong to one group and the MAJORITY oppose Trump. 

I couldn't care less whether you think my views are embarrassing or not. 

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 09:40 PM

ViniFromBrazil
#81Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/13/17 at 11:42pm

As my profile name says I'm from Brazil, I came back from NY as of yesterday and I could sense some of what's going on. It's quite similar in Brazil - our president has been impeached and the country has been basically divided into people who supported it and people who condemned it.

But I would like to make a point here that you might share as well about where, when and how we usually voice our different opinions. I'm a black college student (a minority in my university) and even though I wish I were more engaged into the discussions that happen around there, I usually find myself supporting most of the black students' agenda when it comes to requests, debates, etc. And it really bugs me how some people seem to be so used to us voicing our opinions there that they start to feel like there is a tipping point, a point where they say "oh my god here are you guys again claiming your rights, enough!!!". But what they can't see is that if we consider our campus as our UNIVERSE, then ok, we've been pretty active and we rock. But how many campi are there only in our city with a strong voice like ours? How many organizations are there in our country that are doing the same? If we compare the number of black people claiming their rights with, I don't know, the Brazilian population we will see that we still are what we have always been: a minority in the country.

And I felt the same when I read this topic (and some others Trump-related). It's like a "false symmetry". People who have come here in awe to see other people "embarassing themselves" for not letting Trump go on his spectacular win and hire the so-called Broadway artists to sing whatever are really missing the point of what it means to be a minority. This is a little thread on a chat board designed for fans of an industry that has always been linked to liberal ideas and the lgbt community. I mean, only the lgbt community is already a minority, but considering Broadway itself, or even "fans of Broadway", you already have a very limited scope.

Then, yes, people here are going to go crazy over the fact that someone like Jennifer Holliday is going to help Donald Trump gain publicity and honestly this is not an "extreme" reaction. Of course there are crazy people out there, but if this small-theater-fanatic-lgbt-connected community were not shocked over it, who the hell would be??? And honestly how many people who post here have been as engaged as other anti-Trump groups in rallies and protests?? We will never know, but this is a very specific community. I mean, come on. See that I'm not bypassing the fact that crazy stuff eventually pops up here, but the naiveness of the other side is really annoying.

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 11:42 PM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#82Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:36am

There is a difference between expressing how upset you are about Ms. Holliday's decision than actively bashing and trashing her. The latter is no different from the very ideals you oppose fervently. Some facts you might've ignored: 1) Ms. Holliday voted for Hillary Clinton, and 2) she said her song is not dedicated to Trump but "the people." Many posts here sound like she's about to join Trump's witch-hunt crusades and endorsing 100% the hate that's been around for over a year now. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#83Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:46am

"For The People" =TRUMP supporters?...I doubt anyone of them knows who she is.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

rjm516
#84Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/14/17 at 8:14am

"AND IIII AMMMM TELLING YOUUUU ya done."

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#85Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??
Posted: 1/14/17 at 9:50am

"We have to be able to separate the artist, the work we love and cherish from the past, and their political beliefs. You can love her talent, and not love her beliefs. "

I agree but that is just my opinion, to each their own. I remember not liking Jane Fonda's political beliefs but still would see some of her movies because they were good and she was excellent actress.

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 09:50 AM

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#86Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 10:27am

Over the years it has been very difficult to appreciate her single yet-mammoth achievement from 300 years ago due to the just plain unpleasantness of her personality.   In interviews and actions she continues to seem bitter, resentful, and angry.  Even when she claimed to be "at peace" and "better" it never was convincing.  But I continued to champion her among my fellow theatre enthusiasts.

No longer.

True, in a perfect world, you should separate the art from the artist. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.  Does that make me a hypocrite?  I suppose it does. I can live with it.  If everyone is honest with themselves  -in some area of life - they are too.

I've seen some of Hitler's paintings.  Nothing spectacular, but somewhat appealing. I probably have work on my wall that is not as competent and less appealing.  Should I separate the artist from the work and hang up some Hitler prints?

Back to Holliday...

With this choice to perform for Trump I am now free to stop supporting her in the small ways that I have .  I many ways it is a relief.  Effie, I'm tired.  It's all over.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 1/14/17 at 10:27 AM

kjck89 Profile Photo
kjck89
#87Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 10:48am

Almira said: ".  Should I separate the artist from the work and hang up some Hitler prints?
Wow this is such an excellent comparison. I had no idea he even painted. 

Honestly just truly disappointed at Ms. Holliday's decision. Attending and performing at the Inauguration shows that you are participating in the celebration of Trump's presidency. Theatre is a safe place for acceptance and diversity which I don't think aligns with Trump's political beliefs.

"

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#88Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:03am

"I was like, nobody knows that I'm alive and then I decide to sing a song and I wake up and they all hate me," the Hillary Clinton supporter explained to BILLBOARD today. "I haven't even endorsed anything. I'm not singing for Donald Trump; I'm singing to welcome the people of America. He cannot be the only face that's gonna represent us. And just to have all white people up there singing is not going to be a fair representation either. So you're just saying don't go? Really? I'm just very disheartened by it that it would be so much hate.  I didn't hear any of that spewed from the Obamas.  I thought that they told us to move on and try to be hopeful and make this a smooth transition. I didn't understand that the orders were a wink and a nod to make sure that America doesn't succeed or that Trump doesn't succeed. ... I thought we were just trying to pull together.  I have been unable to see how my singing helps Donald Trump or how that does anything for America or what we're trying to do by my not singing. If we're protesting and we're going to have a show with all white people on it and nobody black's gonna be on it, I don't understand that either ... If everyone's trying to say that's the end of my career, then I guess that will have to be, but I'm going to believe that that won't be and that maybe other people will try to also see what we can do to unite the country on what little hope of togetherness we have left."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7655262/jennifer-holliday-donald-trump-inauguration-performance-interview

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

BroadwayMomma
Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#90Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:38am

Apparently she's had a change of heart. Good.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#91Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:48am

"I sincerely apologize for my lapse of judgement, for being uneducated on the issues that affect every American at this crucial time in history and for causing such dismay and heartbreak to my fans.

Please know that I HEAR YOU and I feel your pain. The LGBT Community was mostly responsible for birthing my career and I am deeply indebted to you… You have loved me faithfully and unconditionally and for so many years you provided me with work even though my star had long since faded.

Thank you for communicating with me, I had no idea that I still meant so much to all of you.

Thank you for your posted comments both the good supportive ones as well as the ugly hurtful ones.

With LOVE & Appreciation,

JENNIFER  HOLIDAY"

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#92Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:50am

Good for her! Happy to hear it.

Even though she spelled her own last name wrong in that open letter...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#93Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:55am

I'm laughing SO HARD right now. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#94Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:10pm

odds are she didn't write that letter herself. Probably a publicist or her agent.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#95Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:26pm

Bravo. Many of her fans are pleased she changed her mind.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#96Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:32pm

OH sistah, bout a day late and dollah short.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#97Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:34pm

Well, you'd hope her publicist or agent knows how her name is spelled. 

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#98Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:41pm

Good for her!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#99Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:42pm

Look, I loathe Trump just as much as every other stable minded person in the world, but I'm not going to hate on Holliday for this.  I believe that she has been quite vocal in her support for Hillary over the last few horrific months and I'm going to believe, until proven otherwise, that she is performing in support of the American public and not for our joke of a President-elect.