pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical- Page 2

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#25THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 3:22pm

I would rather see Sierra Boggess play "Emily Charlton". 

I like to think  "out-of-the-box".

What's really beige and boring is to cast an actor in the same type of role over and over and over. 

Just because they've had successes playing one type of role does not mean they can't venture out and play against type. 

It's been done before. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 1/26/17 at 03:22 PM

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#26THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 3:27pm

My dream cast for the 3 main characters are:

Patti LuPone for Miranda

Samantha Barks for Andy 

and Rachel Tucker for Emily.

This would be magic and I would buy tickets instantly. 

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#27THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 3:28pm

Elton John? Meh. Sheryl Lee Ralph as Miranda is genius casting, although. 

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#28THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 4:08pm

Okay seriously, get the movie cast involved for a limited time (as I presume none would commit to a full broadway run) and this show will be a HIT!! 

Meryl, Anne, Emily, Stanley all on stage? My god, my organs are exploding at the thought. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#29THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 4:17pm

If someone had asked me to guess the writers of a DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical I would have said David Lindsey Abairre or Harvey Fierstein for the book. Nell Benjamin and Laurence O'Keefe (Bat Boy, Legally Blonde, Heathers) for the music and lyrics.

I've no opinion on Elton John but I'm glad to hear Paul Rudnick's writing for the stage again. 

It would have been interesting to hear what Jeanine Tesori or Sara Bareilles would have done with this material.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#30THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 4:38pm

Yeah, I'd almost want a team of Harvey Fierstein and Jeanine Tesori, with Alex Timbers directing. But this is exciting. The costumes... sigh!

And I want to throw Heather Headley's name in the hate for Miranda (if they skew younger, which might work), next to Patti LuPone's. Chita Rivera would have killed it but alas she's far too old (or is she?)

My Andy and Emily choices would be... Jessie Mueller and Jasmine Cephas Jones. (Trying something different from choices already made)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

VintageSnarker
#31THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 5:01pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "If someone had asked me to guess the writers of a DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical I would have said David Lindsey Abairre or Harvey Fierstein for the book. Nell Benjamin and Laurence O'Keefe (Bat Boy, Legally Blonde, Heathers) for the music and lyrics."

I don't think there's enough in the source material to make things interesting but any of those names on the creative team would have been intriguing. The David Yazbek suggestion would have also gotten my attention. 

I do like the idea from the other thread of Jen Damiano as Andy. But who knows how long this will be in development?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#32THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 5:10pm

I loved the suggestion that Miranda doesn't sing. Would be very effective if she only sang during her breakdown scene in Paris. It's really the only moment for the character the begs to be musicalized.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

skies Profile Photo
skies
#33THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 6:58pm

I'd love to see Melissa Errico take a shot at the Miranda Priestly  role...thankyouverymuch

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#34THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 7:07pm

To be filed under
"not that it would ever happen but how glorious it would be:"

Essie Davis as Miranda.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#35THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:04pm

Theater_Nerd said: "I would rather see Sierra Boggess play "Emily Charlton". 

I like to think  "out-of-the-box".

What's really beige and boring is to cast an actor in the same type of role over and over and over. 

Just because they've had successes playing one type of role does not mean they can't venture out and play against type. 

It's been done before. 

"

You consider Sierra Boggess and Laura Osnes "out-of-the-box" suggestions for a role like this? LOL. 

LuPone is the most boring, predictable, uninspired choice for Miranda IMO. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#36THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:12pm

This is a role that would be right in LuPone's wheelhouse. She'd be brilliant, nothing remotely uninspired about it. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#37THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:20pm

Erin Davie as Emily!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

broadwayboy223
#38THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 11:44pm

Is anyone else feeling "eh" about Elton John doing the music for this?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 11:47pm

^ It can't be much worse than his horrifically boring score of Billy Elliot.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#40THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:03am

Or "Aida", a musical that makes the song  "Three Blind Mice" seem complex.

Please Elton John, must we continue this charade.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#41THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:03am

Or "Aida", a musical that makes the song  "Three Blind Mice" seem complex.

Please Elton John, must we continue this charade.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#42THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:41am

IdinaBellFoster said: "I loved the suggestion that Miranda doesn't sing. Would be very effective if she only sang during her breakdown scene in Paris. It's really the only moment for the character the begs to be musicalized."

Honestly that would be pretty brilliant. And keep even that song restrained.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#43THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:52am

So.. you guys want Glenn Close for Miranda? Got it.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#44THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 3:55am

Yeah, David Yazbek would have been my first choice for this. But Sir Elton is a very intriguing idea.

My dream Miranda would be Marin Mazzie. Donna Murphy would also be perfection. Or maybe we could lure Jan Maxwell out of retirement (pretty please?) And I also LOVE the Sheryl Lee Ralph idea.

My first thought for Andy was Adrienne Warren. I want her back on Broadway ASAP. I can also see this going Margo Seibert's way. I think Jen Damiano is a great choice as well. Or Krysta Rodriguez would be excellent (She'd make a great Emily, too.)

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#45THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 7:52am

All I can think about for this show is how lavish the costumes are going to be. The movie had so much couture and so many beautiful pieces, I can only imagine what they would translate to onstage.

As for casting, I think Margot Seibert would be great for Andy/Andrea. Sierra Boggess is too cheeky to play Andy.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#46THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 7:57am

Andi - Phillipa Soo

Emily - Janelle Monáe

Miranda - Laura Benanti

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 1/27/17 at 07:57 AM

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#47THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 11:28am

Is there a lyricist attached? 

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#48THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:35pm

I'd love to see what Rachel Bay Jones could do with the Miranda role.

sparepart973
#49THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:48pm

I think LuPone is quite the Broadway answer to Meryl Streep, which is probably what they want to move away from if they were to really break the mold. 

I would love to see Sherie Rene Scott as Miranda. And an actual recent college/conservatory grad as Andy and not a 30something woman a la Osnes playing a 23 year old. 

Latest Posts