pixeltracker

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13- Page 10

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#225Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 5:48pm

Maybe they will get Kevin Spacey to come in and play Pierre! He was just soooooo good as the Tony host. (not)

chuckydisc
#226Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 6:18pm

trpguyy said: "The company has not received a closing notice, nor word of a replacement Pierre."

This being 1st hand fact?

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#227Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 6:37pm

trpguyy said: "The company has not received a closing notice, nor word of a replacement Pierre. "

Well, no closing notice is good. No new Pierre...not good. That'd mean (assuming the show doesn't close) the new performer would have what, four weeks or less to learn the part? 

bear88
#228Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 6:43pm

Unless I missed something, the only thing that happened in public today was Dave Malloy retweeting that BroadwayBLM tweet that called the show racist and said its failure would teach everyone a lesson. The original tweet drew hostile responses, and people on Dave Malloy's account were upset about it too. But a few people wondered what I did. Why was he retweeting this? It seemed almost masochistic, and it certainly didn't make me think they were about to announce a big star to save the show.

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#229Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 7:26pm

David10086 said: "Maybe they will get Kevin Spacey to come in and play Pierre! He was just soooooo good as the Tony host. (not)"

"There's a wah goin' on out theyuh... Somewheyuh... And Andre? Why, he is not heyuh."

LxGstv
#230Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 9:07pm

bear88 said: "Unless I missed something, the only thing that happened in public today was Dave Malloy retweeting that BroadwayBLM tweet that called the show racist and said its failure would teach everyone a lesson. The original tweet drew hostile responses, and people on Dave Malloy's account were upset about it too. But a few people wondered what I did. Why was he retweeting this? It seemed almost masochistic, and it certainly didn't make me think they were about to announce a big star to save the show.

"

He didn't retweet it, he just responded to a tweet he was mentioned in... that particular tweet also mentioned Rafael Casal and Cynthia Erivo...

Casal stayed silent while Erivo said the tweet was inaccurate. 

bear88
#231Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:00pm

Dave Malloy wasn't mentioned in the tweet, although his show was mentioned (which, if I were him, is almost the same thing). He retweeted it, adding only a photo of a sunflower (it appears; I can't tell). Erivo has agreed with people who said the Bway4BLM tweet is putting words in her mouth that she never said and doesn't agree with. Casal has also chimed in now, writing, "Definitely not what I said, at all."

But aside from that little Twitter thing, there is no actual news about the show. That's better than a closing notice. It feels like the producers are either in denial or buying time.  Then again, the only person who said the show probably has no future is Malloy himself. I'm not saying he's wrong, because he certainly knows more than I do, but the producers could just wait this out until September unless the box office tanks completely.

In the very short term, this fiasco has turned Great Comet back into a must-see show. Fans of the show, who had assumed it would be around at least for a couple more months, may need to see it now or never. People who like Oak, or think he was done wrong, are apparently showing up to show their support. This isn't sustainable, and the whole thing is making everyone  miserable or angry. But it wouldn't surprise me if the show cleared $1 million with room to spare this week, and next week.

Updated On: 8/3/17 at 10:00 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#232Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:03pm

If they've found a new Pierre, presumably that person is in rehearsals right now, given that his debut is less than two weeks away. If that's the case, you'd think something would have leaked by now.  Unless they have someone in September and are just going to ride out August with Malloy or one of the understudies.

Updated On: 8/3/17 at 10:03 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#233Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:04pm

I cannot believe it'll be a week tomorrow since the Patinkin fallout and we don't have any concrete news. Truly incredible.

Phantom4ever
#234Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:38pm

Saw the show/heard the music for the first time yesterday.  Was totally blown away.  It was the first show since Hamilton that made me want to go out and buy the CD, which I did.  And yes I still buy cds lol 

Willie4316
#235Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:41pm

It shows on Dave's Twitter feed that a fan had asked if she should refund tickets for September 27th, and he said she should hold on to them. Perhaps it's just a name that hasn't been announced?

bear88
#236Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:44pm

I am in Speculation Hell, so feel free to ignore me. If some star of any sort is going to take over the part of Pierre, why would that person want to start until Oak's original last day of Sept. 3? Once that day passes, the actor can no longer be rationally accused of hurting another actor. And while rationality hasn't ruled this discussion, people would find something else to be mad about anyway. Shoot, perhaps Malloy highlighted that over-the-top tweet to get critics off the show's back. (Probably not, but it had that effect.)

The #savethecomet stuff is only going to take the producers so far. But if some actor with star power takes the role and starts after Sept. 3, he will be hailed as a hero by The show's fans and cut a fair amount of slack if the producers handle it right. (I know, my theory is falling apart here.) 

But if an announcement of a box office draw is made next week, or even after Oak leaves, the #savethecomet stuff will allow them to survive those three weeks. The only problem: Who could it be, and why would they take it on? My only answer? It's a very good role, and the piano and accordian stuff isn't a requirement. Anatole doesn't have to play the violin. You've got to sing well as Pierre, and act well enough in the second act.

So there's my long shot. And hey, they're probably banking a little money this week and next week. Is my scenario likely to play out? No. Is it possible? Maybe.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#237Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:49pm

Willie4316 said: "It shows on Dave's Twitter feed that a fan had asked if she should refund tickets for September 27th, and he said she should hold on to them. Perhaps it's just a name that hasn't been announced?"

Or perhaps, since they will refund all the Telecharge tickets automatically when it's cancelled, he didn't want everyone calling TC before the official announcement and clogging their phone lines.

I think we know about the same amount as what we knew about a week ago after Mandy resigned and Oak said he's leaving on the 13th.

schubox
#238Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:50pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Willie4316 said: "It shows on Dave's Twitter feed that a fan had asked if she should refund tickets for September 27th, and he said she should hold on to them. Perhaps it's just a name that hasn't been announced?"

Or perhaps, since they will refund all the Telecharge tickets automatically when it's cancelled, he didn't want everyone calling TC before the official announcement and clogging their phone lines.

I think we know about the same amount as what we knew about a week ago after Mandy resigned and Oak said he's leaving on the 13th.

"

Which is incredibly frustrating. 

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#239Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:00pm

So we know the producers want to make a buck. Right now the speculation is that it is closing Aug. 13, why then would they announce otherwise and slow down this boom at the box office with many people on this board saying recent performances have been sold out. This doesn't, of course, do anything for their advance, but it certainly isn't hurting day to day operations- so why not hold off announcing something until a solid plan is in place. Just saying. 

Updated On: 8/3/17 at 11:00 PM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#240Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:07pm

Do you guys really think #savethecomet has boosted ticket sales enough to get it to run a few more weeks? There's no way. They brought Mandy in because they needed him ASAP. How can a show hold out another two weeks when it costs at least 700k a week? Every day I lose faith. Goddamn you producers.

SarahNYC2
#241Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:09pm

I saw it tonight and thought Oak was wonderful. I had no expectations. I saw it with Josh Groban, andhe is in a league of his own. But if you hadn't seen it with Josh you'd think Oak was perfect for the role. And if you did see it with Josh you can appreciate what Oak brings to the role.It's unfortunate the way this whole situation was handled.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#242Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:12pm

To be honest, the general public doesn't really know about most of this -- so I don't think a lack of announcement is really hurting them....it's only "us"-types that really aware of this.  (And those involved in the twitter movement - many who likely aren't regular theater goers.) 

Has there been anything about this anywhere besides theater websites?  I haven't seen anything.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#243Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/4/17 at 12:49am

Much like Brittain saying she's coming back August 15, this could mean nothing, but Lauren Zakrin just replied to someone on Tw saying she'll be on as Natasha either on the 19th or 20th.

https://twitter.com/laurenzakrin/status/893327721094316034

bisous3
#244Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:46am

Equity rules state they have to give the cast 7 days notice of closing. A day or two later it'll be public. Oak is leaving after the 13th so I assume that there will be an announcement of some sort by Monday or Tuesday though the cast and crew were told they'd have more info for them yesterday. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#245Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:56am

reginula said: "Much like Brittain saying she's coming back August 15, this could mean nothing, but Lauren Zakrin just replied to someone on Tw saying she'll be on as Natasha either on the 19th or 20th.

https://twitter.com/laurenzakrin/status/893327721094316034
"

Since the cast has to plan as though there is a show until they hear otherwise, which seemingly hasn't happened yet, nothing surprising here.

schubox
#246Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/4/17 at 9:02am

bisous3 said: "Equity rules state they have to give the cast 7 days notice of closing. A day or two later it'll be public. Oak is leaving after the 13th so I assume that there will be an announcement of some sort by Monday or Tuesday though the cast and crew were told they'd have more info for them yesterday. 

"

I would think they'd try to last till Labor Day to ride out some of this #savethecomet momentum, and to get a rush of people wanting to see it one last time.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#247Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/4/17 at 9:10am

schubox said: "I would think they'd try to last till Labor Day to ride out some of this #savethecomet momentum, and to get a rush of people wanting to see it one last time."

Well, the show can already see if that is having any impact on advance ticket sales. But if it's just a lot of online noise without a massive uptick in sales? Eh...

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#248Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/5/17 at 11:41pm

I didn't find any discount tickets anymore.  All this bad press has put the tickets at original price.  As the saying goes, even bad news is good news.  Perhaps folks wanna go to see what the fuss was about.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#249Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/6/17 at 12:01am

JayElle said: "I didn't find any discount tickets anymore.  All this bad press has put the tickets at original price.  As the saying goes, even bad news is good news.  Perhaps folks wanna go to see what the fuss was about.

"

I tried to buy tickets for this Tuesday and Wed and it said "this performance is no longer on sale." Hmmm.