pixeltracker

Ben Platt to Star in New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series- Page 3

Ben Platt to Star in New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/29/19 at 10:56pm

I binged through the first half hour and it was too mediocre to waste any more time on. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#51Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/29/19 at 11:04pm

I tried to love it. I really did. The casting is incredible and the show is beautifully made but this was bad. Who on earth keeps thinking that Ben Platt can convincingly play a high schooler?! The man has a thinning hairline for goodness sake!

I wonder how Netflix are feeling after their big deal with him. Hopefully he can pull it back with RATCHED and THE PROM. I have a feeling RATCHED will be amazing but THE PROM will suffer the same issues that THE POLITICIAN has.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#52Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/29/19 at 11:55pm

Platt as a high schooler is one thing keeping me away, although I really like him. But the main thing is Paltrow. Just not a fan anymore.

Just give the world Love.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#53Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 12:03am

It's brilliant political satire. Loved every minute of it! Jessica Lange is perfection, as always. Gwyneth Paltrow, who I've never been a fan of, is hilarious playing a near-parody of her cold and superficial self. The guest stars are well cast. And Platt should win an Emmy for his performance. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#54Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 12:45am

Guess I was too tired, but I couldn’t place the very familiar song played on the piano in episode 2. Anyone? So familiar to me; felt brain dead that I couldn’t place it. (And subtitles just said “soft piano melody”...)

MollyJeanneMusic
#55Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 7:55am

jpbran said: "Guess I was too tired, but I couldn’t place the very familiar song played on the piano in episode 2. Anyone? So familiar to me; felt brain dead that I couldn’t place it. (And subtitles just said “soft piano melody”...)"

It's actually a Ben Platt song, "Run Away."

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#56Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:41am

Thx. That was mentioned in an earlier post, but I’d thought it was in reference to a different scene; didn’t sound like the same song to me. My brain was thinking it was something else from further back.

Updated On: 9/30/19 at 08:41 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#57Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 10:39am

I really don't mind the "Ben Platt doesn't look like a high-schooler" aspect of it at all. I don't think any of the actors actually look like teenagers. I don't think they're supposed to be. It's satire, and a very good attempt at one. It falls flat in some scenes where actors don't realize what they're saying is supposed to be funny and aren't really playing it up correctly, and the joke gets lost. Could be the director's fault for not getting out that performance you know these people are very much capable of. I have seen first 2 episodes so far and I'm loving it. Expecting it to get really lame halfway through the season because Murphy gonna Murphy.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#58Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 11:42am

I thought this show was ok. Ben platt is good, Laura Dreyfuss was good, but Jessica Lange is obviously the standout here. She’s an impeccable actress.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#59Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 11:56am

Could just be me, but I absolutely adored the actor who played River. Wish he had more to do. That man is going to have a long career after this and deservedly so. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 9/30/19 at 11:56 AM

herewegoabc
#60Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 9/30/19 at 12:09pm

The actor who played River, David Corenswet, is one of the three leads in Ryan Murphy's next Netflix project, Hollywood. He's starring with Darren Criss and Jeremy Pope.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#61Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/1/19 at 10:35am

I really hope they release Bens covers from the show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#62Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/1/19 at 3:47pm

Ok i did not love this tv show, but i really liked many aspects of it...BEN PLATT, GWYNETH PALTROW...(who is looking more and more like her mother Blythe Danner, who i absolutely have loved), and even JESSICA LANGE,( who although i HATED her character, played her brilliantly), and finally BETTE MIDLER who shows up in the final Season 1 episode.

The show is gorgeous to look at showing off Santa Barbara in all its glory. As to comments here about older actors playing teenagers while i would have preferred younger actors, everyone does a good job with their character regardless of their actual age...

Finally i do look forward to Season 2, now that Bette Midler is involved in the story arc!

Gizmo6
#63Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/1/19 at 7:20pm

broadwaybabywannabe2 said:

"Finally i do look forward to Season 2, now that Bette Midler is involved in the story arc!"

A second season is hopeful. I was disappointed with this and his recent Fosse/Verdon 

I’m at the coffee shop seen with Ben and girlfriend at the end where he’s crying. God it’s bad! 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#64Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/1/19 at 7:27pm

Gizmo6 said: "A second season is hopeful. I was disappointed with this and his recent Fosse/Verdon

I’m at the coffee shop seen with Ben and girlfriend at the end where he’s crying. God it’s bad!

"

Ryan Murphy didn’t do Fosse/Verdon. It’s was Broadway’s on Lin Manuel Miranda. People think it was Murphy because of shows he did with similar names. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#65Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/2/19 at 12:09am

broadwaybabywannabe2 said: "Ok i did not love this tv show, but i really liked many aspects of it...BEN PLATT, GWYNETH PALTROW...(who is looking more and more like her mother Blythe Danner, who i absolutely have loved), and even JESSICA LANGE,( who although i HATED her character, played her brilliantly), and finally BETTE MIDLER who shows up in the final Season 1 episode.

The show is gorgeous to look at showing off Santa Barbara in all its glory. As to comments here about older actors playing teenagers while i would have preferred younger actors, everyone does a good job with their character regardless of their actual age...

Finally i do look forward to Season 2, now that Bette Midler is involved in the story arc!
"

Not to mention the always amazing Judith Light along with Jackie Hoffman!!

gregnyc2
#66Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/2/19 at 12:10pm

I hope Wes Anderson is getting some royalties from this....(the show copies his style heavily)

I detested Platt in the first episode, esp that first long scene with River. So broadly played. Murphy directed that episode, so no surprise

The show’s a big Murphy mess, very arch, so tonally all over the place.   Lots of money on the screen, but about ten percent as good as VEEP.  Some Wink Wink to the audience jokes from character’s mouths that are amusing, albeit totally wrong for the character. The show gets better towards the center. I thought the Bette/Judith first office scene read very sitcomy.

Ben won’t need to film DEH; he’s already done it here.

Updated On: 10/2/19 at 12:10 PM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#67Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/3/19 at 11:59am

It hasn't lost me, yet. So much of this first season reminded me of the film Election, so it did nearly lose me. But I liked the last episode, teasing us where this is headed. So, I'm still in for Season 2.

Jessica Lange is a marvel. I laughed so hard at her shenanigans. She reminded me of Donald Trump, and how he responds to any kind of attack.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#68Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/3/19 at 4:39pm

I just watched Mr Platt on The Voice and was very impressed by his maturity and intelligence. This has prompted me to go past the first 20mins.

I have binge-watched so much lately-The Handmaids Tale, Godless, Killing Eve, Unbelievable that after the 20min mark of The Politician it had better improve to impress.

Dolly80
#69Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/3/19 at 7:58pm

Ben Platts annoying performance just reveals he has no range at all.
Laura Dreyfuss says all of her lines so fast in the same monotonous tone that I had NO idea what she was ever saying.

For me the only saving graces are Lange (a true Goddess) and Zoey Deutsch (spelling?!) .. and what a lovely voice she has too.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#70Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/4/19 at 1:14pm

SweetLips22 said: "I just watched Mr Platt on The Voice and was very impressed by his maturity and intelligence. This has prompted me to go past the first 20mins.

I have binge-watched so much lately-The Handmaids Tale, Godless, Killing Eve, Unbelievable that after the 20min mark of The Politician it had better improve to impress.
"

What did he do on The Voice? Which night was he on?  I totally missed it this week.

Just give the world Love.

brodynky
#71Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/4/19 at 1:55pm

I'm guessing it's The View...not The Voice.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#72Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/4/19 at 2:33pm

I had to stop after three episodes. I tried, but I couldn't find a reason to go on. This is basically Dear Evan Hansen with a bad script, except Evan has too much self-confidence instead of not enough.

This show really needed an audience surrogate who could realize the absurdity of all these self-absorbed characters and ludicrous situations. No one here is in on the joke, and as a result, there is no joke.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series
Posted: 10/4/19 at 2:51pm

I thought this was an absurd hot mess that felt like it was created by a Ryan Murphy generation machine. 

That being said, if the second season promises the further adventures of Judith Light and Bette Midler, I will probably need to watch. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."